flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 4, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #6,556 of 39,414
i would suggest you buy XR , it's like an extra 300$ ? but the versatility is more than worth it

you have already gone all the way into the top echelon , i say go for both signatures

and welcome to the EE owners , zeus is amazing

I disagree. If you know you're tastes well enough, save $300.

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #6,557 of 39,414
well , if i understood correctly he has not heard zeus xiv , he simply gets an idea and thinks he will prefer the xiv setting

the way i see it , that way is like he is buying Zeus R for just 300$ - and this is a bargain in my book

it's his money and his call , no doubt about it - this is a friendly/zero pressure proposal

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #6,558 of 39,414
well , if i understood correctly he has not heard zeus xiv , he simply gets an idea and thinks he will prefer the xiv setting

the way i see it , that way is like he is buying Zeus R for just 300$ - and this is a bargain in my book

it's his money and his call , no doubt about it - this is a friendly/zero pressure proposal

Well there is actually another big reason, the switch just does not work with my artwork. :beyersmile:

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #6,560 of 39,414
Did a rough calculation and if I buy the WM1Z (modded now of course) with the VE5 and VE8 and a couple of cables, then I should be able to safely hide behind two dozen beagles when my wife finds out. :D

I mean... you don't have to get a VE5... :wink:

Well there is actually another big reason, the switch just does not work with my artwork. :beyersmile:

One of the tiny-yet-crucial reasons I decided to go for non-ADEL; I couldn't place the switch on the bottom otherwise. :D

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #6,561 of 39,414
I mean... you don't have to get a VE5... :wink:
Yeah, good idea! Keep things nice and cheap. I am sure I can sell that with a well-presented: "But honey, look at how much money I saved by not buying the VE5 as well!" :D

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #6,562 of 39,414
btw considering selling my 10 month old HD800S in perfect condition, thinking around 1250 Euro
PM if interested

side note on UE18+ custom, more treble and less bass than demo,
and shell not as clear as what you see in review units/demo

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #6,563 of 39,414
Yeah, good idea! Keep things nice and cheap. I am sure I can sell that with a well-presented: "But honey, look at how much money I saved by not buying the VE5 as well!" :D

"This Deezel guy introduced me to a way cheaper option that's almost just as good!"

Dec 4, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #6,565 of 39,414
You just get that review of yours written first and then we'll see about that vs the VE5. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

By the way, due to some "unexpected developments" today, the VE5 will be featured in the Select Comparisons section of the review. Enjoy the wait, bud. :wink:

Dec 4, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #6,566 of 39,414
By the way, due to some "unexpected developments" today, the VE5 will be featured in the Select Comparisons section of the review. Enjoy the wait, bud. :wink:
:sweat_smile:

I am really impressed by all the work you have been doing recently and am genuinely looking forward to everything you have planned for the coming time, including of course the mystery "vocal king on-a-budget". :D

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #6,567 of 39,414

It's true the XR is the safer bet if you haven't heard them. But lets not kid ourselves, even the XIV is underwhelming in the bass department. If you know you enjoy a little more warmth than strictly neutral, you will NEVER favor R over X.

Also, that switch scares the hell out of me. It's so fragile-seeming. As I cabled rolled, I was awfully nervous I'd brake it right off. I didn't think Subguy would appreciate that. :D

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #6,568 of 39,414
I have the XR and use the XIV settings almost 100% of the time

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #6,569 of 39,414
It's true the XR is the safer bet if you haven't heard them. But lets not kid ourselves, even the XIV is underwhelming in the bass department. If you know you enjoy a little more warmth than strictly neutral, you will NEVER favor R over X.

Also, that switch scares the hell out of me. It's so fragile-seeming. As I cabled rolled, I was awfully nervous I'd brake it right off. I didn't think Subguy would appreciate that. :D
We need to talk offline....grrr

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #6,570 of 39,414
Pinky I still want to say they are not a bass heavy IEM by any stretch, but with proper tips and seal and a non bright cable the bass is really good. The bass layers are all there and the quality is great, it is fair to say quality over quantity. I found out this is one of the few times I use a smaller size Final Audio tip, I usually use large, and it improves quantity a tiny bit as well. It just comes down to signature. I think I have said this so many times, none of these TOTL IEM's suck, it comes down to what signature works for you. That said I could understand how the signature might not be for some because it isn't a warm, sexy sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back