flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 3, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #6,496 of 39,414
Regarding complementing IEMs ..
  • planar magnetic driver - LCD-i4 (in da haus)
  • multi balanced armature drivers - U18t (ordered, long wait ahead.. )
  • dynamic driver - xxx (?)
.. xxx should be:
  • IE800S
  • Vega
  • Dream
  • .. ?

* #nohybrids (for now..)
** #noelectrostats (KSE1500 is an amazing IEM, but stacking is out of the question..)
*** #onlydd
**** I'm in no rush, maybe some "insiders" have more info on future dd products..

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #6,497 of 39,414
.. xxx should be:
  • IE800S
  • Vega
  • Dream
  • .. ?

* #nohybrids (for now..)
** #noelectrostats (KSE1500 is an amazing IEM, but stacking is out of the question..)
*** #onlydd
**** I'm in no rush, maybe some "insiders" have more info on future dd products..

Vega have a very unique signature. Which I love, but not all love that amount of bass and tuning. In light of the others mentioned above, I think it would be a nice complement. But find a way to try before you buy.

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #6,498 of 39,414
Yep...I guess we're all driven by curiosity
200.gif

this illustrates PERFECTLY my passing from universal to customs - it was a leap of faith and it didn't go well (i hated my 1st ciem which was a complete blind buy - a prototype that only had a very appealing price - but luckily i managed to resell it at zero loss , and soon after i got NT6 and now the 'cat' is happily purring)

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #6,499 of 39,414
My favorite portable closed headphone is the Meze 99 Classics. It's kind of a mix between the HD650 and HD800.
I tried the 99 too. For the price, and closed-design, the sound is very good. :) A well-balanced, all-round pleaser.

I would recomend try LCDX, Edition Xv2, HE4xx..., these specific type of planars are definitely not that hard drive. But depends what you mean by portable, system smaller usb dac/amp or DAP? Still I would recomend usb dac/amp over DAP for full size hp.
I haven't try them before. Thanks for letting me know. Maybe will try during next CanJam. By portable, I mean it can be easily driven by a portable player such as AK70, phone, etc. DAC/Amp stacking is a bit of a hassle for me. So far, my favourite headphone is the Grado RS2e. Will see next week if that'll change after hearing the PS2000e. :)

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #6,500 of 39,414
Please ignore.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #6,501 of 39,414
Dec 3, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #6,503 of 39,414
.. xxx should be:
  • IE800S
  • Vega
  • Dream
  • .. ?

* #nohybrids (for now..)
*** #onlydd

If you enjoy the U18t's sound, you might enjoy the IE800; I haven't tried the S version yet. But, on the other hand, if you already have the U18t, there's little reason to have two IEMs with a similar signature. The Dita Dream is a great DD IEM and its little brother - the Answer/Truth - shouldn't be underestimated either.

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #6,504 of 39,414
Dec 3, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #6,505 of 39,414
Yes, I misread the post and caught my mistake a moment later.
I have a lot of those "fluffy brain" moments... Pretty much all the time, in fact. :wink:

That said, the Apollo is not showing up in the custom non-ADEL section, but I am pretty sure that is just a bug in the website, as it is listed in the universal non-ADEL section at the price of the Zeus XR. :p
If you enjoy the U18t's sound, you might enjoy the IE800; I haven't tried the S version yet. But, on the other hand, if you already have the U18t, there's little reason to have two IEMs with a similar signature. The Dita Dream is a great DD IEM and its little brother - the Answer/Truth - shouldn't be underestimated either.
I had a really hard look at The Awesome Truth balanced, as they have a pretty nice deal at Hifiheadphones (£899). But I need to keep focused. That money is reserved. :D

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #6,506 of 39,414
If you could find one, try the Yuin OK1. It sounds much clearer than Zen 2, and with a more spacious soundstage.

Have the Zen 1 and 2 (not really a big fan of buds...) , I'd agree with the characterization of the 2, like the 1 better (though Lee says 2 is much better). Haven't heard the Yuin.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #6,507 of 39,414
In my opinion the Dream is one of the best IEMs I have heard, all around. The small shells and short nozzle can make the fit a challenge, but once you find the seal the bass may just be the best I have heard.Broke my heart when I had to sell it to fund more reviews. They are rare now and only fulfilling backorders in Japan.

I will post comments as soon as I receive the IE800 S, should be soon.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #6,508 of 39,414
Vega have a very unique signature. Which I love, but not all love that amount of bass and tuning. In light of the others mentioned above, I think it would be a nice complement. But find a way to try before you buy.
I read about the uniqueness of the signature, will definitely try to audition them!
They should definitely be a complement to i4/U18t and also look very neat!

I should be able to try the IE800S soon.. and you're right, if the signature is too similar to the U18t I will definitely skip..
I'm looking for "another flavour" and I think dd should be the way, but maybe I'm wrong..

In my opinion the Dream is one of the best IEMs I have heard, all around. The small shells and short nozzle can make the fit a challenge, but once you find the seal the bass may just be the best I have heard.Broke my heart when I had to sell it to fund more reviews. They are rare now and only fulfilling backorders in Japan.

I will post comments as soon as I receive the IE800 S, should be soon.
I noticed the Dream is really hard to find.. but this intrigues me even more. :)
Looking forward to your comments on the IE800S..

My "list" was just an initial list... I'm open for suggestions.
And I have plenty of time to decide (this time around..)

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #6,509 of 39,414
I read about the uniqueness of the signature, will definitely try to audition them!
They should definitely be a complement to i4/U18t and also look very neat!

I should be able to try the IE800S soon.. and you're right, if the signature is too similar to the U18t I will definitely skip..
I'm looking for "another flavour" and I think dd should be the way, but maybe I'm wrong..

I noticed the Dream is really hard to find.. but this intrigues me even more. :)
Looking forward to your comments on the IE800S..

My "list" was just an initial list... I'm open for suggestions.
And I have plenty of time to decide (this time around..)
coufh... Rhapsodio galaxy...or rhapsodio zombie(hybrid) cough

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #6,510 of 39,414
coufh... Rhapsodio galaxy...or rhapsodio zombie(hybrid) cough
There is nothing wrong with Rhapsodio...Sammy is a great guy and they have some great gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back