Rank the headphones you own BASED ON COMFORT
Jan 23, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #16 of 30
1. Sony MDR Z1R
2. HD800s
3. HD650
4. ZMF VO
5. ZMF AO
6. ZMF VC Ironwood

No. 5 is on my head all the time though.
So when people say zmf atrium closed is a comfortable HP but with around 450g, can you where them like 7 hours without break? and how is that heavy weight in long listening sessions effecting comfort. Can the weight distribution save this?

On free days i can use my HP all day with some 30min breaks for eating and such.

I haven't owned such heavy HP but Zmf atrium closed i might buy in the future.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #17 of 30
1. Audioquest NightOwl
2. ZMF Bokeh
3. Sennheiser HD660S

The NightOwl remains the most comfortable because of its low weight and its stretchy headband. The Bokeh is surprisingly comfortable despite being heavy, though. It just can't quite match the NightOwl. The Sennheisers are quite light and I'm used to them by now, but they do have the strongest clamp force of the three and there's no denying they're the least comfortable.

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #18 of 30
So when people say zmf atrium closed is a comfortable HP but with around 450g, can you where them like 7 hours without break? and how is that heavy weight in long listening sessions effecting comfort. Can the weight distribution save this?

On free days i can use my HP all day with some 30min breaks for eating and such.

I haven't owned such heavy HP but Zmf atrium closed i might buy in the future.
You need chair with some support for neck to rest upon from time to time but 450 is decent and not too heavy. Get B.B.B strap and Creascent headband to increase comfort.

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #19 of 30
1) RAAL-requisite CA-1a
2) RAAL-requisite SR-1a
3) DCA Stealth
4) Senn HD800S
5) Spirit Torino Valkyria
6) ZMF VC Stabilized
7) Abyss 1266 TC

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #20 of 30
Hyland Audio Jupiter One
Koss ESP/950
Audio Technica ATH-R70x
Focal Elegia
Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X
Sendy Audio AIVA
AKG Q701

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #21 of 30
I have ath hl7bt, my whole life 37 years. I have to say this is the most comfortable headphone, it's super light, super quiet. I think I can wear it continuously for 12 hours a day without any discomfort. I appreciate that the ath line is very comfortable to wear.
support_ath-hl7bt_03.jpg

All ath ad400, ad500, ad900x, dwl5500 are very comfortable. And sony ma900 ànd f1 is same ath.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #22 of 30
I have ath hl7bt, my whole life 37 years. I have to say this is the most comfortable headphone, it's super light, super quiet. I think I can wear it continuously for 12 hours a day without any discomfort. I appreciate that the ath line is very comfortable to wear.

All ath ad400, ad500, ad900x, dwl5500 are very comfortable. And sony ma900 ànd f1 is same ath.

Yeah my ATH-MSR7b is super comfortable - especially since I swapped in a set of big, cushy Aliexpress pads. Super light and I barely feel them on my head.

Feb 14, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #24 of 30
Included some headphones I sold already
1) Victor (JVC) HA-WM-90-B
2) Sony MDR-SA5000
3) Sony MDR-F1
4) ESLab ES-R10
5) Audio Technica ATH-W1000X (with earpad mod)
6) Sony MDR-CD900ST (haven't use it for a very long time.. I'll put it here based on my memory.)
7) Audio Technica ATH-W10LTD
8) Sony PFR-V1 (wondering if anyone think this is comfortable..

Feb 14, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #26 of 30
The Philips Fidelio X2 is my most comfortable set. I like the suspension band on top and the Brainwavz velour pads I'm using now have enough room for my big ears.

The rest of my headphones are average to slightly less than average in comfort.

Since I've never had issues catching my hair in the steel band of the Porta Pros, they're next on the comfort list. I forget that I'm wearing them, they are so light. Some don't like on-ear headphones however, and I'll admit that wouldn't be my first choice in design either.

My Denon AH-D5200 has pads that are soft, but too small for my ears, and this can be an issue in longer sessions.

The original pads on the Creative Aurvana Live! are even smaller, and my replacement pads (from a HyperX Cloud) aren't quite big enough either. They are light-weight and don't clamp hard, so that helps.

The Hifiman HE-R9 pads are large enough for me, just middle of the road on padding and design. My set is modified with wooden cups, so it is my heaviest headphone now, and that limits the amount of time I can wear them.

So, that's the current list.

If we include sets from the past, here are a few I've owned. I'd rank them in this order, with none being outstanding in comfort:

Fostex TH-X00: Too heavy
Sennheiser HD6XX: Too much clamp, that never relented despite efforts to adjust it
Philips SHP9500: The pads were so big, I couldn't keep them on my head. Very loose
NAD HP50: Terrible, tiny pads that collapsed until your ear scraped the interior
Grado SR60i: The original pads could be used as a substitute for Brillo pads in the kitchen sink

Feb 18, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #28 of 30
ZMF Atrium with BBB strap.
Fidelio X2
HD650
DT 1990 with Dekoni Elite pads
TH900
LCD-X

Atrium while not the lightest they feel super comfortable and can wear them for hours. It's like putting on a cozy blanket. Perfect amount of clamp and zero hotspots on top of the head. Lambskin pads can get hot during the summer so I tend to switch to Suede.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #29 of 30
1. Audioquest NightOwl
2. ZMF Bokeh
3. Sennheiser HD660S

The NightOwl remains the most comfortable because of its low weight and its stretchy headband. The Bokeh is surprisingly comfortable despite being heavy, though. It just can't quite match the NightOwl. The Sennheisers are quite light and I'm used to them by now, but they do have the strongest clamp force of the three and there's no denying they're the least comfortable.
I would reverse the Nightowl/Nighthawk and Senn 6x0 on my list. Mostly because the clamp on the 6x0 can easily be reduced to match your headsize and preference.

Feb 18, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #30 of 30
  1. Susvara
  2. ATH-ADX5000
  3. HE1000SE
  4. T+A solitaire P-SE
  5. DCA Stealth/Expanse
  6. YH-5000SE
  7. HD800s (if not hair pulling occasionally)
  8. Meze Liric
the worst is definitely 1266 Phi TC!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back