Rank the best sounding daps that you heard
Jul 7, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #151 of 857
It really depends what you pair it with. Consider 1z being more normal. It has plenty enough detail and layering retrieval in the benefit for 1z the physical sound waves it creates, nothing can do this. Its very textury and physical sound.

But depends on your iems....
Wm1z + tia fourte noir is priceless I swear it!

The way I can feel the music, how sound moves and vibrates is so good.
Listening to 1z is not simply hearing the music but also feeling it down deep to the core of your soul!

Nothing so far made me experience those feelings then wm1z. Not even dmp z1!
It is really nice that you finally got the sound that you wanted/love, I guess each one of us needs to follow their own path

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #152 of 857
I have the calyx and had the 1a, indeed the calyx is addictive, but the 1a its about sound quality, the natural sound of music, layered sound in depth. Calyx have that sweet flavor but in technicalities 1a is so much better.

I wish you to hear the 1z 1 day. You will never go back to 1a 😃

1 very interesting fact is that many people own 1z and 1a as they offer 2 different sound flavor and all that under the amazing sony sound house

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #153 of 857
I have the calyx and had the 1a, indeed the calyx is addictive, but the 1a its about sound quality, the natural sound of music, layered sound in depth. Calyx have that sweet flavor but in technicalities 1a is so much better.
I hear you, I said that if they are looking for an emotional and addictive type of sound the Calyx M is great, if you want a natural tonality and great technicality then Acoustic research ar-m2 is way better than Sony Wm1a, the only thing that is better on Sony, is easier to find easy a good synergy with most of the headphones

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #154 of 857
It is really nice that you finally got the sound that you wanted/love, I guess each one of us needs to follow their own path

It is ! I struggle to find anything better then that setup! I even went and did the mod to try to squeeze that all maximum love out of it...

For me wm1z + Tia Noir is heaven!

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #155 of 857
I hope more people are going to move to this thread and share their preferences and their list. I just realized that we each have our preferences and we are so diverse. I hope for everyone to find the best sounding dap for their preferences and enjoy it.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #157 of 857
I cant wait to get my mdr-z7m2 with kimber kable.

It will be my full size headphone get away escape 😆😅

And Tia noir as the master of all the sounds

Tia noir is my best ever iem I heard
Kse1500 is my second all time best

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #159 of 857
I have the Z7m2 also, seems like those and the 1a are made for each other.

Do you have the kimber kable with them ?
How do you like the z7m2?

Jul 8, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #161 of 857
Another vote for the modded Sony NW-WM1A or 1Z. My 1A is modded by non other than @Whitigir and it has a stunning sound quality. I modded my very own 1Z with silver/gold wires on the balanced headphones socket. Did the same work to the battery wires to the audio board but using high purity OCC copper wires instead. I also performed the same modification to my ZX300 and ZX507 as well. These Walkmen are highly underrated and they power my HD800S exceedingly well especially the modded 1A/1Z. The improvement is drastic over the stock 1A that I keep as reference. For a stock unit, I doubt that anything can beat the Ibasso DX220 Max.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #163 of 857
I updated my list with more information

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #165 of 857
No, just the stock pentacon cable, and that is just enough, guess with the kimber cables will be even better. I’ve heard that z7m1 are better than m2, but never tried the m1.
I much preferred the MKII over MKI and I have both. The MKI simply have too much midbass for its own good. The MKII is more transparent and balanced sounding. Yes, any cable upgrades will benefit greatly due to a small copper wire size. The Z7 MKII is very capable headphones and a joy to listen to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back