Rank the best sounding daps that you heard
Jul 7, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #136 of 857
Jul 7, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #137 of 857
I just finished reading your impression about the n8 and wm1z and I believe that I made the right choice because I like the sound to be natural and lifelike and I am not into EDM music. I listen to mostly metal music plus I am really annoyed by the proprietary cable that Sony uses.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #138 of 857
I just finished reading your impression about the n8 and wm1z and I believe that I made the right choice because I like the sound to be natural and lifelike and I am not into EDM music. I listen to mostly metal music

Wm1z Romi is a hybrid between 1z and N8 😛 how about that hahaha

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #139 of 857
Wm1z Romi is a hybrid between 1z and N8 😛 how about that hahaha
I believe you but that will make the cost of the player even higher, since only the mod cost more than 1000$

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #140 of 857
I believe you but that will make the cost of the player even higher, since only the mod cost more than 1000$

Depends for how much u got a used 1z for mod.

N8 new is 3800 nuts!
Even 1z 3200 lol not far 🙃

I once had an opportunity to grab N8 ss for 1800 but have let it go as I am a loyal 1z fan 🤩🙂😁

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #141 of 857
Depends for how much u got a used 1z for mod.

N8 new is 3800 nuts!
Even 1z 3200 lol not far 🙃

I once had an opportunity to grab N8 ss for 1800 but have let it go as I am a loyal 1z fan 🤩🙂😁
I hear you. I also bought the Cayin n8BB used for a good price, I don't dare paying the retail price. I never heard about anyone sending the Cayin n8 for modification, I believe because it sounds good in stock form

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #142 of 857
Not yet unfortunately as my local dealer only have the AK, Sony, FiiO, Questyle and iBasso DAPs. The special DAPs to me are the N8 and SP2000Cu though if both of those DAPs didn’t exist I would be happy with the WM1Z. Wish to hear the L&P ladder DAC implemented DAPs and Lotoo stuff someday though

Agreed, the N8 is great. Yes, if you hear the Lotoo they may enter your list :)

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #143 of 857
1) The Sony Walkman 1Z

Came out (in 2016) when many members were experiencing puberty in high school. A lifetime ago (in DAP years).....no streaming, no video? Strange proprietary cable, not even used by Sony anymore! Gets pretty loud but not the most powerful?

Yet even now-a-days it offers a special tone and soul separating itself from the pack. Listenable and fun. Simply taking any digital coldness and adding accessible warmth and detail. Smooth and easy operation along with a giant software base custom tuned by the Walkman Enthusiast Community. How many firmwares do you want? How many different tones and personalities do you want to explore? Did you want bigger soundstage, more treble? Custom fan-made firmware offers a world of different experiences to explore. There is no right or wrong except what you want and what fits with your personal sound signature preferences and IEMs.

A complete aftermarket enthusiast commercial community offering physical capacitor and wiring change outs. Home brew enthusiasts changing capacitors in their bedroom. Companies offering a professional level of aftermarket modifications bringing the Walkman 1Z or 1A to a completely different level.

Firmware DSEE HX, Vinyl playback emulation, direct DSD in 4.4mm balanced. 4.4mm balanced offering a more ergonomic handling of plug insertion. A stronger unbendable plug offering better contact area.

And the list goes on and on.

Cheers!

2) Sony Walkman 1A both stock and modded.

A different tune than the 1Z. Less treble and less bass tone. A complementary experience that can add contrast and character to 1Z ownership. It’s own style of bass and soundstage.

3) FiiO M11

4) Sony ZX300

5) Various Shanling DAPs....models not noted?

6) Also varieties of downline Sony DAPs, models not noted?

I have the Sony 1A, and will have the 1Z soon. Some of my other players have greater resolution, yet I always find myself wanting to listen to my Sony.

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #144 of 857
I have the Sony 1A, and will have the 1Z soon. Some of my other players have greater resolution, yet I always find myself wanting to listen to my Sony.

You getting moved by the sony vibes . Sony knows how to make you shake that booty 😆🤣

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #145 of 857
1.- Cayin N8.
2.- Sony WM1Z
3.- LPGT
The Cayin had the best sound of all the DAP’s I tried before I made my purchase. It has the power to drive most anything with great detail and sounds like the real thing. You can also connect to its tube output for a bit smoother presentation. Its 4.4 solid state output is stunning. A great match with the Elysium among other IEM’s.

I am saving for the Sony 1Z. The sound along with battery life are important factors in my decision plus I'm familiar with the Sony software since I own the 1A.

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #146 of 857
Any of you guys tried the Calyx M, battery life non existent...he, he, but I believe the sound is even more addictive than the Sony. I just sold the WM1A today and I know that Sony sound doesn't touch the Calyx M. It is like you guys said, not the most resolving dap but for sure the most addictive

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #147 of 857
You getting moved by the sony vibes . Sony knows how to make you shake that booty 😆🤣

It is really difficult to explain. There are players that may sound better according to every objective measure, yet I always want to listen to the Sony.

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #148 of 857
Any of you guys tried the Calyx M, battery life non existent...he, he, but I believe the sound is even more addictive than the Sony. I just sold the WM1A today and I know that Sony sound doesn't touch the Calyx M. It is like you guys said, not the most resolving dap but for sure the most addictive

It really depends what you pair it with. Consider 1z being more normal. It has plenty enough detail and layering retrieval in the benefit for 1z the physical sound waves it creates, nothing can do this. Its very textury and physical sound.

But depends on your iems....
Wm1z + tia fourte noir is priceless I swear it!

The way I can feel the music, how sound moves and vibrates is so good.
Listening to 1z is not simply hearing the music but also feeling it down deep to the core of your soul!

Nothing so far made me experience those feelings then wm1z. Not even dmp z1!

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #149 of 857
It is really difficult to explain. There are players that may sound better according to every objective measure, yet I always want to listen to the Sony.

Sony make studies and R&D and they go beyond that. They try to even suit people by nationality and region. They have very deep learning curves and data and statistics they do in order make you get that + feeling 🙃🙂

It is why all sony products have 1 major philosophy on mind! Entertainment and joy first !

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #150 of 857
I have the calyx and had the 1a, indeed the calyx is addictive, but the 1a its about sound quality, the natural sound of music, layered sound in depth. Calyx have that sweet flavor but in technicalities 1a is so much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back