Rank the best sounding daps that you heard
Jul 6, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #16 of 857
Guys,
I think could interesting to get the information of the used headphones too, i'd say the " combo" of dap + headphone It brougt to your Better listening...

@immortalsoul

Synergy can never be underestimated.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #17 of 857
Nothing to add....

Only heard the Z1 for a short term.... however, this was very impressive. I am quite happy with my nw-wm1a... But who knows, if there's an opportunity for upgrading to the 1Z...??

I actually go to the 1A and like it better for a day or so every once in a while. It’s by far the best deal. And, they reflect off each other........to become the antithesis of each other’s character. So in existing they create the personality of each other. But many are under the assumption that the 1A is brighter when really the 1A has this midrange personality. It’s warm but neutral. The 1Z has a treble spike and bass spike. But it’s the soundstage difference that starts to really show after time? Where the 1Z is just more lifelike. 1Z has more physicality to the sound being more real. The 1Z is a fatter front to back soundstage where the 1A is more of a side to side composure display. IMO

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #19 of 857
Calyx M
Sony ZX300
PolyMojo
AK70II
Fiio X7ii
Cowon Plenue R
Shanling Q1
Sony A15
Créative Zen

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #20 of 857
My list based on DAPs I own, have owned or got on loan:

Top tier, my favorite by quite a margin:
Calyx M
Dethonray DTR1

Very good DAPs:
Cowon Plenue M2
WM1A
AK SP1KM

Ok DAPs:
ZX300
FiiO X5 III
Zishan DSD (AK4490)

Dull sounding DAPs:
AK SR15
FiiO X7 II

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #21 of 857
Jul 6, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #22 of 857
Jul 6, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #24 of 857
I’m curios about DTR1, but I have heard a couple of comments of sudden death of the device, how true is that?, obviously not yours, but have you hear something about it, could be a total battery drain problem... but I don’t know.

@toranku was enthusiastic about the DTR1 for a time and then less so later...perhaps he could chime in on that.

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #25 of 857
I’m curios about DTR1, but I have heard a couple of comments of sudden death of the device, how true is that?, obviously not yours, but have you hear something about it, could be a total battery drain problem... but I don’t know.
Yes, I am aware of some problem. I am lucky so far, 14 months of intense use without any issue

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #26 of 857
@toranku was enthusiastic about the DTR1 for a time and then less so later...perhaps he could chime in on that.
Hisses with sensitive IEMs, especially pure BA structure. The Dethonray HA-2 amp solved this problem.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #28 of 857
1. Cayin N8BB
2. Cayin N8
3. Cayin N6ii E01
4. Cayin N6ii T01
5. AK SR25
6. Cayin N6ii A01
7. ibasso DX200 (used all modules, iirc 8 ticked the box)
8. Hiby R6 Pro

Incoming... Cayin N8BB Romi modded & Fiio M11 Pro.

Only having having the BB modded as now using Ra paired with it and the more juice the better. SQ wise it's the most analogue, fluid, natural, lifelike portable setup I've heard. Prefer SS/BAL over SE or tubes. It's not got the GUI to compete with the rest but SQ doesn't leave me wanting for better.

Music genre: Rock in all its many forms.
Ranking based on SQ only.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #29 of 857
^^^ and what a great little amp it is (HA-2). Takes my best DAPs to new heights.
Same here, Calyx M and DTR1 brought to the next level

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #30 of 857
Not much for critical listening or note-taking & suspect this has much to do with the headphone matching- but strictly for sound these ones seemed to stand out in memory as having some special quality or other.

Sony ZX2 (only demoed)
L&P L5 Pro
Cowon Plenue S (BAL-out only)
A&K Jr.

Though there are a number of DAPs I wound up favoring over those in spite of arguably lower performance (for instance Shozy Aliens Au/+, Opus #1, Sony A17... I think ZX2 would make this list, maybe time to try before they become rare).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back