RAL Cryo-Silver Reference for Ultrasone Proline 750/2500
Jul 19, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #16 of 37
Update, 07/18/2007.

The RAL/Proline cable is back. After Brad Vojtech shortened the strain-relief section and put a 1/4" terminal on the amplifier end (instead of the typical 1/8" plug), the cable looks great, wears very comfortably now and sounds super! (The cable went back-and-forth twice since my original purchase--undergoing two more round trips to the Sunshine state, but Brad has been very patient and accommodating with my general persnicketiness and multiple post hoc requests.)

Between about 50 and 75 hours, the cable went through a bit of a "harsh" phase, and seemed nearly unlistenable compared to my first impressions. Now, nearing perhaps 100+ hours (and mated w/the Proline 750), it is returning with sharpened focus and even more detail. Soundstage is still appreciably enlarged, but now with a heightened sense of air and separation between instruments/performers; depth perception in particular has improved considerably. Individual sounds really "play out" to a complete rendering of the specific vocalist or instrument. Musical synergy has further developed and improved, along with more ease and a wonderful sense of timing. (The Corda Cross-1 is coming into play, too, helping provide a seamless transition across the headstage.)

Here is Brad's description of how the screw-in terminal (salvaged from a stock Proline cable) is utilized in his Proline cable:

'Details regarding the threaded connector (FYI) - we remove ALL the plastic moulding from around the the stock threaded Ultrasone connector, and salvage only the metal connector contact subassembly itself. We then remove the stock wires from the terminals where they are connected to the contacts by the factory, and make the connections of our conductors to those same points. In other words, we DO NOT simply "splice" our conductors to the connector. Finally we install a gold metal connector shell on the threaded connector. Our headphone cable is shielded with Mil Spec heavy braided copper shielding, with the shield drained at only the source end - so the shield is never in the signal path.'

Soon, I am hoping to get a picture of the RAL/Proline cable, or a link to that picture, from Brad. It's a nice-looking piece of work! God willing you can see what it looks like. Skullguise, FYI I kept the purple--not pink, even though it looks a little pink!--TechFlex. I think it's the slimmest cable option available. Microphonics--although it does exist to a small degree--is not a problem at all for me when I'm using this cable.

RAL/Proline Cable APPLICATION NOTE:
When installing, to avoid over-twisting the screw-in end and possibly damaging the cable, hold the screw-in jack stationary and turn the headphones until a tight connection is achieved. Avoid over tightening.

After that, just sit back and enjoy the sound of this wonderful cable! : )

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by som4ew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it normal to take RAL 12 days to made 2 custom ipod cable?

Typical lead time is about 2 weeks, I think. Brad had the retrofitting and retermination done within one week, though (from the time I shipped to him until the time I had it back in hand). Certainly not the several months' wait time associated with other cablers, and a super after-market cable--maybe even the best--for the Proline. (The RAL/HD650 cable completely blew me away, too. The RAL/K701 cable is definitely in my near-future plans!)

Note: I had to provide Brad with the Proline stock cable/screw-in connector end. In my case, I ordered the Proline iPod cable from Ultrasone USA and had them ship it directly to RAL. All-tolled, I spent $217/shipped: $199 for the finished RAL cable and $18 for the stock Proline cable.

Jul 22, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soon, I am hoping to get a picture of the RAL/Proline cable

This would be welcome!

Jul 23, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

I may ask Brad to change the color and the surface texture of my cable, if that is possible since it has gone back for strain relief retro-fitting.

Are there other color tech-flex options?

While the RAL "pink" has become a branding of sorts, I'd prefer something in an Ultrasone blue to go with the rest of my "Sistema"
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #21 of 37
jpelg,

RAL offers other color options for the TechFlex jacket. My first impulse was to order a dark blue jacket when my Proline cable went back for retro-fitting. But I kept the pink-looking "purple" jacket because, to the best of my understanding after discussions with Brad, it was the slimmest option.

If and when you order, you should double-check these details, though.

BTW, I wanted to ask about the synergy between your Rudistor NX-02 Sistema and Proline 2500. I'm considering a Rudistor (RPX-33) but, being an avowed tube user, am apprehensive about venturing back into SS (and spending that kind of money on SS).

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

RAL offers other color options for the TechFlex jacket. My first impulse was to order a dark blue jacket when my Proline cable went back for retro-fitting. But I kept the pink-looking "purple" jacket because, to the best of my understanding after discussions with Brad, it was the slimmest option. If and when you order, you should double-check these details, though.

Thanks for the info. Quote:

BTW, I wanted to ask about the synergy between your Rudistor NX-02 Sistema and Proline 2500. I'm considering a Rudistor (RPX-33) but, being an avowed tube user, am apprehensive about venturing back into SS (and spending that kind of money on SS).

I am absolutely loving the combo!

When I had my 750's, my two amps were an RS Raptor & a Benchmark DAC1. The Benchmark's headphone-out sounded better to my ears. To me, the Proline 750's didn't respond as favorably to tubes, but came to life with solid-state. I have found the same to be true of the 2500's, which didn't synergize well with a warm-sounding EC/SS amp either.
The NX-02 is better than the DAC1's built-in amp (and the EC/SS) in every dimension that one would measure sound quality. And my 2500's aren't even burnt in yet.

Which is not to say that someone wouldn't prefer a more euphonic combination, if that's your leanings. But I never found the Benchmark/Proline combo bright or fatiguing in any way. And I don't like a bright sound signature at all, so take from that what you will.

Don't know what the differences are between the NX-02 and the RPX-33 (i'm suspecting quite a bit). But the NX-02 was tuned specifically for the 2500's, so I can't say for sure how the RPX-33 would sound.

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #23 of 37
Thanks a lot for your very informative answers, jpelg. You've re-whetted my appetite (which is likely inordinate) for trying the Rudistor.

In terms of SS being a better match for certain headphones, I had the same experience with the Sony MDR-SA5000. The Sony excelled, IMHO, when paired with the mere, Meier HeadFive; sounding better w/this rather modest SS amp than with either the tube (Darkvoice 336i) or the hybrid (G&W T2.6F) amp I had on hand at the time.

With the Darkvoice 336i or the Bada PH-12, and with judicious tube choices, euphony can be effectively eliminated, if not vastly mitigated, in my humble experience.

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #24 of 37
Help!

Now I have (6) pictures of the RAL/Proline cable. However, they are high resolution pictures in JPEG which need to be re-sized before I can post them.

That said, I have neither the expertise nor perhaps the allocated space to post them on Head-Fi. If one of you is willing, could I please e-mail you the pictures and ask that you post them (after possibly re-sizing them) on this thread for me?

Thanks!

Jul 28, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #26 of 37
Very nice Patrick, thanks for the continued posts and pics.

I'm definitely deciding on RAL upgrade for either the Ultrasone or 701's. Need to wait a bit, have some car work that needs to be done. But I think this will come soon thereafter!

I'm leaning towards the 701's, as I seem to use them more often than the Ultrasone's (I have the 2200's).

Jul 28, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did the wires from the left to the right earpiece get replaced as well?

No. At the time, I merely wanted a screw-in cable that I could float between the 2500/750/2200. Had thought about a complete hardwire job, and about asking Brad to run a separate lead to each earpiece (like he does with the K701), but didn't want to pay the extra money. Your point is well taken. : )

Jul 28, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice Patrick, thanks for the continued posts and pics.

I'm definitely deciding on RAL upgrade for either the Ultrasone or 701's. Need to wait a bit, have some car work that needs to be done. But I think this will come soon thereafter!

I'm leaning towards the 701's, as I seem to use them more often than the Ultrasone's (I have the 2200's).

Skull,
As I'd mentioned in other posts, now that the K701 (after about 400 hours) have really come into their own, I actually came to prefer them, with stock cable, to either of the Prolines with detachable RAL cable. (Similarly, I had previously come to prefer the Proline/stock to the RAL/HD650.)

The RAL cables on both the HD650 and Prolines, brought, I thought, the full potential from these cans; took what they already did well by design and made it even better. That said, and given my listening tastes, I feel the K701 have even greater potential than either the HD650 or the Prolines; therefore, more would be gained from RAL-ing the K701. In addition, the RAL/K701 upgrade does away with the internal jumpr wiring, i.e. it is a "complete" re-wiring in every sense of the word, so (the logic goes) it should bring out even more of the already greater, innate (stock) potential of the K701.

As we speak, my K701 are en route to RAL and may be returning by as soon as the end of next week. So, keep posted for my first impressions. I really like the K701, stock, and am very anxious to hear how the RAL cable can maximize what I already like so much about them! : )

PatABurd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back