RAL Cryo-Silver Reference for Ultrasone Proline 750/2500
Jul 4, 2007 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

pataburd

Headphoneus Supremus
This all began on a headphones thread discussing the Cardas detachable cable upgrade for the Ultrasone Proline 750/2500 (HFI 2200, too).

Well, to make long story short, I ended up commissioning Brad Vojtech, of Revelation Audio Labs (RAL)--just a super guy to deal with--to build a detachable cable for my Ultrasone Proline 750 and 2500. My experience with Brad's superlative HD650 cable upgrade gave me impetus and confidence to approach him about the Proline cable. I purchased the Proline iPod cable from Ultrasone USA, had them send the cable directly to RAL, then Brad salvaged the frustratingly elusive screw-in mini jack from that cable to terminate one end of his 2 meter Cryo-Silver Reference. For multple Proline owners, like myself, an upgraded, detachable cable offers obvious economic advantages.

The cable arrived on Monday, July 2, 2007, via USPS Priority Mail. I tried it out immediately, screwing it into the Ultrasone Proline 750 on one end and plugging it into the Bada PH-12 on the other. My office source is the Reference Audio Mods (RAM) fully modded Samsung HD-841, with MAC Palladium interconnect. The Bada was tubed with 1x Ken-Rad JAN-CKR VT-231 and 2x Raytheon VT-231. MAC Source and HC power cords complete the connections, with DakiOm Feedback Stabilizers dangling from the back of my HD-841 (R203) and from the front (F203) of the Bada. Two stages of PowerVar conditioning on the HD-841, and one stage on the Bada. Marigo Signature CD Mat, Auric Illuminator disc treatment, Infinity Audio shorting plugs, etc., etc.

(a)
These comments are preliminary, with the RAL cable at the very beginning of its recommended 250 hour break-in period. But right out of the starting blocks, the RAL cable completely bowled me over. WOW!!! Compared to the stock Proline cable--well, there's almost no comparison. The first thing that struck me was how much bigger, no, how much HUGER, everything became along all three dimensions. The brass arrangements on Ray Conniff's "Memories are Made of This" are fat, glowing and splashy: so rich, full, with just the right mixture of spit, bite and mellowness . . . and totally captivating. Instruments and vocals fill up more interior volume (far beyond the brim of the stock cable), and a very natural, airy and almost sublime character pervades the headspace. An organic, utterly believable wholeness jam-packs the soundstage. Sonic portions bloom, blend and integrate without sacrificing a bit of the element-specific distinctness that I have come to really appreciate from the Prolines. Complex passages are sorted out with deftness and aplomb.

Highs are much more smooth, extended, transparent and detailed. Midrange finds new depth and even more clarity and immediacy (it was the "emotionally hardwired" midrange of the Prolines--especially with vocals--that made me an avid Ultrasone proponent in the first place). Bass is deep, weighty, rock solid, controlled--not prone to bloati- or one-notiness, like it can be using the stock cable.

The sense of sonic balance and just-rightness is even more developed while outfitting the 2500--yes, I bought another pair after having sold the first!--with the RAL. The listener can hear exhaustively "through" each sound and not be at a sense of loss anywhere across the frequency spectrum.

There will be, by God's grace, more to follow. I just wanted to get this thread started and encourage anyone wanting to plumb the depths of sonic/musical potential of their Prolines to give the RAL a whirl. The Revelation Audio Labs Cryo-Silver Reference is unbelievable right out of the package, with the promise of only getting better with time. So, if you want to be amazed at what your Proline 750 or 2500 can really do, you must try this cable. : )

(b) Postscript 1, July 5, 2007:
Home system: Panasonic S47/stock, Darkvoice 336i w/1x Sylvania 6AS7G & 1x RCA 6SN7GT, MAC Silver Braided IC and SPC/HC power cords. With only about 30+ hours logged. Vocals on Earl Thomas Conley's (ETC) Greatest Hits Vol.2 (e.g. "Love Don't Care") show immense depth, vibrancy, texture and shading. The sound space seems alive, a breathing, ungulating fabric of music. Bass is deep, tight and percussive, with the most slam I've ever heard from either of the Prolines--real "bottom line" stuff! The RAL cable was so listenable that I put the S47 on "Repeat All" and listened to the ETC disc three times in a row, non-stop last night. : )

I must mention, too, that the strain relief section on Brad's Proline recable was a bit too long and obtrusive against the left shoulder. He has graciously offered to retrofit his cable and shorten this section, and with a quick turnaround promised, too. : )

(c) Postscript 2, July 5, 2007:
Just Priority Mailed the RAL cable back to Brad for retrofitting/shortening the strain relief segment on the screw-in end. I miss that cable already!

Jul 4, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 37
Pics? I wish the 3.0m HD650 cable was that much...I'd probably bite (got quoted for $290+shipping). Unfortunate, as he is located ~40 mins form me.

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JLai,
The RAL ad on the AudiogoN has the 3 meter HD650 cable for $229 shipped, I believe. The RAL cable really wakes up the resident sleeping giant in the HD650, too!
PatABurd

2 meter for $229...$30 for each additional 0.5m...http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ntr&1187372794

No need to get side tracked on your main topic though. Its good to hear about the RAL cables as there is not much coverage on them.

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 37
Congrats on the cable.
I own the mini-mini and it is just in a class of it's own.
Brad is also a superb guy to deal with as well.

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 37
I know nothing of the proline re-cable, but I have done business with Brad. I was a little frustrated at a delayed first order, but recently had my cable re-terminated to XLR. Brad promised and delivered on an estimated 10 day turnaround- very impressive. Brad is also exceedingly polite person to deal with.

As far as the 650 goes, I preferred the RAL to both Cardas (v1) and the Equinox. I am not good at writing this stuff, but I would sum it up as an added sparkle, with very little, if any, loss of body.

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 37
Thanks for the great review of the cable. Do you still prefer the Darkvoice with the AKG 701?

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a question, is the cable microphonic ?

Killercrush,
The RAL cable uses a slightly nappy, pinkish-colored sheath that can be a little microphonic when rubbed against other surfaces. It has not proven bothersome--or even noticable--to me thus far, though; I've worn the cable throughout the course of an entire workday (at my desk) with no perceptible problem. [8 }

PatABurd

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the great review of the cable. Do you still prefer the Darkvoice with the AKG 701?

tbonner1,

In all fairness, I haven't rigged the Darkvoice 336i up with my "#1" source, cables, etc., yet (to do an "all other audio factors being equal" a/b comparison). But, due to the Darkvoice's edge w/r/to punchiness and liveliness of presentation, I still slightly prefer the 336i to the PH-12 w/the K701 (precisely because of the 336i's aforementioned characteristics that compliment the AKG so well, IMHO).

Keep in mind, however, that I have not seriously listened to the K701 since the Proline 2500 arrived--my second go-around (and the second time's a rhyme) with the 2500. After a thwarted attempt to sell the K701, I am considering getting the RAL cable upgrade for them, too.

Honestly, I do enjoy the clarity, ease and delicacy of the K701--maybe I'll listen to them today through both amps. Right now, I'm simply too lazy to unpack them. : )

PatABurd

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Killercrush,
The RAL cable uses a slightly nappy, pinkish-colored sheath that can be a little microphonic when rubbed against other surfaces. It has not proven bothersome--or even noticable--to me thus far, though; I've worn the cable throughout the course of an entire workday (at my desk) with no perceptible problem. [8 }

PatABurd

Agreed. The worst is when it rubs against itself, but I am pretty sure all carbon fiber is like that.

The stock color is pink, but Brad has several available- mine is black.

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #12 of 37
Nice notes, Patrick (and thanks, I'm loving your old Senn RAL cable
580smile.gif
It plays very nicely with the Lunch Box amp!)

I found very similar sonic results with the AKG cable Brad made me, which I use on the 271S.

I was thinking of asking Brad to rewire my AKG K701 with the RAL cable; now I'm thinking I might like the Ultrasone as well, as I have the 750's and the 2200's....

Have you ever discussed with Brad about NOT putting the techflex on? I'm curious if that would eliminate the microphonics (though as you say, it's not an issue unless you rub the cable; tapping on it has less noise IMO).

Dang, too many decisions, not enough $

Jul 7, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 37
Skull,
Here's another branch for your decision tree. Check out Drew's Proline/Silver Dragon cable on his website!

Yes, I may ask Brad to change the color and the surface texture of my cable, if that is possible since it has gone back for strain relief retro-fitting.

Meanwhile, I am seriously considering the RAL upgrade for the K701. Have been listening to these 'phones tonight, stock, and--as they near full break-in--they are sounding mighty good! : )

PatABurd

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #14 of 37
Wow Pat,
Glad to hear you are enjoying the 701's again.

How would you compare the bass against the 2500 and 750?

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow Pat,
Glad to hear you are enjoying the 701's again.

How would you compare the bass against the 2500 and 750?

With stock cables all around:

for bass extension and definition/articulation:
(1) K701
(2) 2500
(3) 750,

for bass slam/impact/"carry":
(1) 750
(2) 2500
(3) K701,

all-around, with Ultrasones fitted w/RAL/Proline cable:
(1) 2500
(2) 750
(3) K701.

At this point, with the RAL upgrade on the K701 (planned), the AKGs might--dare I even think think this?--unseat the Prolines! Gasp!!!

Well, . . . ., just MAYBE. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back