RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
Jul 19, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #587 of 1,184
SE. Not too bright at all. Very natural and lifelike. Never would I consider the Penta to be a "Bright" IEM.

Jul 19, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #588 of 1,184
If the Penta sound bright, it may be bad seal with the tips :)

Jul 19, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #589 of 1,184
Tips do make a difference in both comfort as well as tuning. I have, after many trials, settled on the JVC Spiral Dot ++ as my favorite. They are expensive but to my ears seem to have the most synergy with the Penta.
HiFlight, I was wondering if you would be able to share the differences between the regular stock tips (any of the 4 sizes) vs the Spiral Dot ++? I was considering ordering some off Amazon JP but wanted to know what kind of sonic differences to expect and if it would be worth it. Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #590 of 1,184
HiFlight, I was wondering if you would be able to share the differences between the regular stock tips (any of the 4 sizes) vs the Spiral Dot ++? I was considering ordering some off Amazon JP but wanted to know what kind of sonic differences to expect and if it would be worth it. Thanks in advanced!

I used the green core UE900 tips (L) as they fit perfectly and sounded great. Then as a (expensive) gamble, I decided to order the JVC Spiral Dot ++. Since receiving them, I haven't used anything else. They just portray the music in a way I had not previously experienced. Totally true to life sound. The Penta truly deserves these tips!

Jul 19, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #591 of 1,184
I used the green core UE900 tips (L) as they fit perfectly and sounded great. Then as a (expensive) gamble, I decided to order the JVC Spiral Dot ++. Since receiving them, I haven't used anything else. They just portray the music in a way I had not previously experienced. Totally true to life sound. The Penta truly deserves these tips!
Could you elaborate on why they sound more true to life than the stock tips? Like does it sound more open? Wider soundstage? Any details would be much appreciated, since I've never dropped $25 on just eartips haha.

Jul 19, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #592 of 1,184
Realistic expansive soundstage, improved sense of depth. Superb tonal balance. I really can't articulate things any better than this.
It is simply the best sound I have heard from an IEM.

Jul 19, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #593 of 1,184
Realistic expansive soundstage, improved sense of depth. Superb tonal balance. I really can't articulate things any better than this.
It is simply the best sound I have heard from an IEM.
If you put it that way... Well I mean I already dropped $1099 on these so what's $25 more at this point right?

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #594 of 1,184
P1030417.JPG

I got to borrow the Meze Rai Penta recently from Kitsune Hifi/Holo Audio USA and they graciously let me review the unit. I just wrapped up the final touches on it and it's posted here: https://www.antdroid.net/2019/07/meze-rai-penta-flagship-iem-review.html

I have to say, the design and shell is stunning and fit extremely comfortably. The tuning is generally safe and enjoyable, though I found it lacking a little something special. That said, it's a good IEM and one that deserves at least some listening time and would work for many genres.

Attachments

• P1030404.JPG
    P1030404.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #595 of 1,184
@antdroid - the graph you did of Rai Penta seems to be exactly what I'm hearing with user controllable sine tones, especially with the 6-8k treble lift. if you go back and read my previous posts, you'll see where this caused me some grief.

However, I will say that the bass seems more prevalent than what the graph shows, probably due to the weight of the dynamic driver.

Anyway, thank you for the article and measurements. Very helpful addition to those looking to buy.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #596 of 1,184
@antdroid - the graph you did of Rai Penta seems to be exactly what I'm hearing with user controllable sine tones, especially with the 6-8k treble lift. if you go back and read my previous posts, you'll see where this caused me some grief.

However, I will say that the bass seems more prevalent than what the graph shows, probably due to the weight of the dynamic driver.

Anyway, thank you for the article and measurements. Very helpful addition to those looking to buy.

Hi, Yea insertion can make some little changes to treble region on measurement data, and likewise how you hear it.

I would love to hear how your experience is with the custom tips are. I have a set of the advanced sound tips for the Solaris and they did take a few days to get used to wearing and putting on but seemed to work alright. I sold the Solaris however but still have the tips and they sort of still work with other iems.

Jul 21, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #597 of 1,184
Jul 22, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #598 of 1,184
FYI - Spinfit’s own recommendation for the RP....

“Our recommendation for Meze Rai Penta is CP360”.

Jul 23, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #600 of 1,184
those look like they'd provide a pretty shallow fit. Has anyone tried these? I'd try them out but have custom tips on the way.

That’s exactly what I thought when they came back with that as their suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back