RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
May 31, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #421 of 1,184
I am going to keep my pre-order through Audio46, if only because the Rai Pentas are guaranteed to fit well for people with small ears. So many of these high-end IEMs are big and just not comfortable for me. I can wait a little bit longer.

May 31, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #422 of 1,184
Thanks @jude for interjecting here about the shortcomings of miniDSP as well as the impressions of Rai Penta's treble.

@dcguy73 , I was actually motivated by other means - than just pure impatience - when I canceled the order. Seems I'm the new owner of an A12t through some serendipitous encounter. An offer too good to pass up. Still, after the refit cost with 64, my budget is stretched! Still, I'm sure I'll end up getting one second hand in the future. The reviews/impressions make them sound too good to NOT try.

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #423 of 1,184
I am going to keep my pre-order through Audio46, if only because the Rai Pentas are guaranteed to fit well for people with small ears. So many of these high-end IEMs are big and just not comfortable for me. I can wait a little bit longer.
I can guarantee that the wait will be worthwhile!

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #425 of 1,184
Looking forward to try and own a pair of Meze Rai Penta at CanJam London next month.
Fantastic build quality, sound and very good value on the crowded IEM market.
I can only imagine how glorious the Penta will sound when paired with your Tera-Player!

Jun 2, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #426 of 1,184
New.jpg

Rai Penta + 24.5awg Pure silver litz type 4, with all Eidolic parts :)

Jun 2, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #428 of 1,184
I can see in your signature that you have the M7 and the Rai Penta. Care to give a small comparison between these two?

I have never heard the Penta but I would imagine that that they are not that far of in signature, or am I completely wrong here?

Signature wise, M7 is more neutral to my ears where nothing stands out. Where as the Penta is kinda similar but more fun, warm neutral imo, vocal is more pronounced, bass is better, imaging and separation is better.

Jun 2, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #429 of 1,184
Signature wise, M7 is more neutral to my ears where nothing stands out. Where as the Penta is kinda similar but more fun, warm neutral imo, vocal is more pronounced, bass is better, imaging and separation is better.

It's relatively close to how I would describe the difference between the M7 and the DK-4001. Except the M7 is overall a bit warmer and more coherent than the DK-4001. The bass on the 4001 is addictive :)

Jun 2, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #431 of 1,184
I canceled my order with audio46. The "ships mid may" is now "ships July" after emails back and forth with them. Meze has been inundated with demand for this IEM and US stock won't come in for a while yet.

The treble looks very reserved after the dominant upper mid presentation according to graphs here:

https://musicvault108.wordpress.com/2019/03/16/meze-audio-rai-penta-incomplete/

Actually, it looks like it falls off a cliff. Has anyone done any sweeps of sine waves to see if they can hear enough SPL post 10-12K? I realize the tuning is very mature and that it models the natural attenuation of HFs in an open air environment, but the highs just seem too gentle here. Had the slope of the descent into the top octave been about 6 db more, it'd be perfect (visually at least).

What are you guys hearing? Too mid-centric? Maybe that's its appeal?
I can't read graphs but what I am hearing is not a mid-centric sound at all. I think with every impressions here it clearly shows that the presentation is very very well balanced, a bit laid-back (not in-your-face), but still has very good detail.
If I hear the word "mid-centric" I imagine an Oriolus type of sound and the Penta is far from that..

Jun 2, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #432 of 1,184
I can't read graphs but what I am hearing is not a mid-centric sound at all. I think with every impressions here it clearly shows that the presentation is very very well balanced, a bit laid-back (not in-your-face), but still has very good detail.
If I hear the word "mid-centric" I imagine an Oriolus type of sound and the Penta is far from that..

I mentioned earlier that (in my opinion) one shouldn't put too much stock in that graph.

Jun 2, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #433 of 1,184

Users who are viewing this thread

Back