rage against the machine was cutting edege hi-fi!
Feb 15, 2010 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
i once in a while listen to rage against the machines first cd. what always impressed me was how clean and pristine the signal was. well, finally i ran it through wave lab. it does not clip one single time in the entire cd! btw, the vinyl is freaking sweet!

all i am saying is this is not the norm for this genre of music! there are metal and rap albums that i will not listen to on my good systems for fear of damage. you can crank this to the limit of your amps without any caution.

someone who was involved with this project was obviously into hi-fidelity recording. for all the guitar and bass distortion, there is not one instance of clipping. i really wish all metal and rap cd's paid so much attention to what they were recording. you just don't find this kind of attention to the recording in most of this music.

it does not end at the lack of clipping either. this cd employees the most cutting edge recording techniques that i can see in the waveforms. the sound quality is awesome. people that say they cannot stand metal or rap may likely be due to all the lousy boomy distorted recordings! this is totally listenable and superb through headphones! i do not know if it was by accident that they got such engineering on their project or if it was planned. knowing what i know about zach de la rocha it was probably planned. he accepts nothing but the best. not to mention tom morello graduated with a ba from harvard. i guess all this was well thought out given these peoples backgrounds.

i love this music. even if you do not like angry laden metal and rap lyrics put to hard music you might want to give this a listen. not to mention he does have a message to convey. if you agree with him or not. it is good stuff i say!

music_man

Feb 15, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 31
I love Rage, but I wouldn't really consider Zack rapping. I mean it definitely has the flow in his lyrics, but I don't think he intended it to be rap like the other Rap/Rock bands that came out after Rage.
On the other hand, his first band, Inside Out, was more on the Hardcore side, and his lyrical style was very different.
I will never get tired of their first album. It's nice to know someone went out of their way to analyze Rage's recordings to be quality. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guidostrunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the cover they did of Renegades Of Funk , much better than the original from Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force.

I like Rage, but this has to be a generational thing; my feelings are the opposite.

Not that crazy about de la Rocha as a vocalist, love Morello. Brutally precise, shreds like a monster, a complete rock guitgod.

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross Ergga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do their 2nd and 3rd albums compare?

The Battle of Los Angeles is even more on the pro-hi-fi side of mastering than the first album IMHO.

@music_man, try the Battle of Los Angeles album and hear that the distortions might sound even better. For me the first album sounds a bit "rounded" while it's still what you wrote - very high fidelity recording. I also recommend hearing the downset "downset" album. As a nice compliment to what RATM did. It's one of my references in terms of elctric guitar sound complexity. Bad equipment falls off quickly if you know what to expect from this album.

Feb 15, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tcp56 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One song....Bullet in the head.

yeah, that is my favorite song on the cd. it is surprsing that it got almost no radio play.

music_man

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #12 of 31
It's been known for a while that Rage Against the Machine's self-titled album is a fantastic recording mastering wise.

The best ever is Patricia Barber's 'Cafe Blue' however
wink.gif

A track from it:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Remember HD quality on Youtube's only 128k AAC.

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by salannelson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes! i haven't listened to this in a while. i remember reading an article about the high production values and it's "audiophile" quality.

Any chance you could get us a link to that article?

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #14 of 31
F$@K you I won't do what you tell me!!!

I love Rage. I had the pleasure of seeing them live at Woodstock 99 and they were amazing, despite having to tone it down a bit to avoid starting a riot.... which happened anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back