Radsone EarStudio ES100
May 14, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #1,127 of 6,675
Edit: I probably was reading wrong documentation - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/radsone-earstudio.867366/page-75#post-14237690

So I just found that pretty much all balanced 2.5mm connectors made as L-,L+,R+,R- while EarStudio is

So unless one specifically requested connection as above - it will be out of phase.
Standard Shure and Sennheiser balanced cables are going to be wrong.
Test it here - https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php or better use any multimeter and check where your grounds are.

You're referring the block diagram which introduces the DualDrive technology.

The 2.5mm jack 4-pin layout of ES100 is same as all what Astell & Kern devices have. (de facto standard)
No difference at all.

May 14, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #1,128 of 6,675
Well it seems no one is selling here in Hong Kong some short 2.5mm balanced MMCX cables so I bought a cheap SPC cable (17USD) and two 2.5mm TRRS jack (2USD each) from a local audio shop and will just make my own short balanced MMCX cable.

IMG_2170.JPG

May 14, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #1,129 of 6,675
What you show is the Astell & Kern 2.5mm TRRS Standard wiring. So, looks like Radsone ES100 is using that standard.

FYI, the following DAP's use that same 2.5mm wiring for their 2.5mm Balanced output jacks: A&K players with a balanced 2.5mm output, Fiio X5 3rd Gen, X7 (with AM3), Onkyo DP-X1, Pioneer XDP-300R, Cayin N5, The Bit Opus #1 DAC, Luxury and Precision L3 DAC; ( and probably a lot of other newer devices with a balanced 2.5mm output )

Thanks for the comment,
As you noted, ES100 2.5mm pinout is same as all the Astell & Kern devices, which is de facto standard.
Regards,
WS

May 14, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #1,131 of 6,675
Hi Guys!

Just received my ES100 - love it. Nice device indeed. Need to play around with the settings though....

However - the clip and the mic - for normal man's shirts that that have the buttons on the right and the buttonholes on the left - this doesn't work. The mic is facing the floor when clipped in a normal dress shirt...
Not sure if that has ever been mentioned before...I am sure I am not the only one who would like the clip to be mounted on the other side.... hmmmm

May 14, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #1,132 of 6,675
Hi Guys!

Just received my ES100 - love it. Nice device indeed. Need to play around with the settings though....

However - the clip and the mic - for normal man's shirts that that have the buttons on the right and the buttonholes on the left - this doesn't work. The mic is facing the floor when clipped in a normal dress shirt...
Not sure if that has ever been mentioned before...I am sure I am not the only one who would like the clip to be mounted on the other side.... hmmmm

You're right, I've noticed the same but I believe I forgot to mention it here.

Even with the mic facing down people have no problem hearing what I'm saying though but ideally the clip should be the other way..

May 15, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #1,135 of 6,675
Hi Guys, I have finally ordered the ES100, and hope to receive it soon. Had a question:
I'm primarily having earphones with mmcx connection.From what i understand, balanced not only can provide less interference compared to SE, it can also double the power, which can help for IEM's that are less sensitive.

I assume then that I have to look for a 2.5 mm MMCX balanced cable (custom 40 -50 cm would require contacting VEClan, or making one myself)? And in case I want to use it with phones and need a converted, is there a cheap option available (I read in the thread, that a non-trrs supporting standard 2.5 female to 3.5 mm male would damage the IEM).
So what to do if I want to connect to smartphones that would not support balanced? (and want to use the same cable).

May 15, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #1,136 of 6,675
Hi Guys, I have finally ordered the ES100, and hope to receive it soon. Had a question:
I'm primarily having earphones with mmcx connection.From what i understand, balanced not only can provide less interference compared to SE, it can also double the power, which can help for IEM's that are less sensitive.

I assume then that I have to look for a 2.5 mm MMCX balanced cable (custom 40 -50 cm would require contacting VEClan, or making one myself)? And in case I want to use it with phones and need a converted, is there a cheap option available (I read in the thread, that a non-trrs supporting standard 2.5 female to 3.5 mm male would damage the IEM).
So what to do if I want to connect to smartphones that would not support balanced? (and want to use the same cable).

VE have some good adapters for $5 and FiiO have a nice one for $13. I've gör bot and the FiiO one may feel a little bit higher quality but they both work equally well.

May 15, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #1,137 of 6,675
May 15, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #1,138 of 6,675
May 15, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #1,139 of 6,675
My friend tested my ES100, he has the XB10 JDM version. After listening to it, he asked me if i want to sell my ES100 to him. Now that says something

May 15, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #1,140 of 6,675
For most IEMs, I guess the 3.5mm max. 1.1 Vrms would give enough loudness.
The key benefits of the full-balanced system are the common mode noise rejection and the freedom from ground noise.

Let assume that:

L_AMP_out_p = L_p + Amp_noise
L_AMP_out_n = L_n + Amp_noise
GND = Zero + GND_noise

Ideally, Amp_noise and GND_noise should be zero, but practically they are not zero.
And both Amp_noises to L_AMP_out_p(positive) and L_AMP_out_n(negative), they are practically same; common mode noise.

So, the signal at the load, that is IEM unit, would be:

V_load_unbalanced
= L_AMP_out_p - GND
= (L_p + Amp_noise) - (Zero + GND_noise)

V_load_balanced
= L_AMP_out_p - L_AMP_out_n
= (L_p + Amp_noise) - (L_n + Amp_noise)
= L_p - L_n
= 2 x L_p

As you see above, V_load_unbalanced has Amp_noise as well as GND_noise,
while V_load_balanced has the pure output signal without any common mode Amp_noise and GND_noise.

Not only with ES100, but also with any given H/W, supporting both balanced and unbalanced,
the balanced would provide the better performance, regarding THD+N, SNR, and channel separation.
That is the primary advantage of the full balanced interface.

For your information,
as we collect user data from ES100 mobile application,
roughly 25~30% of ES100 users are using the 2.5mm balanced interface.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back