Radsone EarStudio ES100
Feb 12, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #4,098 of 6,675
Thanks for this! I was just looking for a short cable to pair with my ES100. Triton Audio Cables was very responsive and easy to work with. Looking forward to receiving one of these to try out.
David is top notch

Feb 13, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #4,100 of 6,675
From what I've seen in the settings, there's a battery saver setting that only allows up to 80% battery charge on the device, especially when it gets plugged into a power source to preserve battery life.

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #4,102 of 6,675
does anyone have firmware 2.0.1 they could upload for me? I'm getting terrible battery drain on 2.0.2.

I recall someone on here said the battery meter is notoriously inaccurate. Have you tried running it until it powers off to see what the actual life of the battery is?

Feb 13, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #4,104 of 6,675
QUESTION(S)

1. Does it HARM / Decreases lifespan of the Battery if you continuously use it as a USB DAC? Like Daily ?

2. When using the ES100 as a USB DAC, I can use either 2.5mm or 3.5mm Port correct?

3. Is there a noticeable difference when using 2.5mm over 3.5mm ?
Balanced depends on your specific gear and perceived audio impression. Some believe in it, some don't. I use it bc why not, it's not going to be any worse than using 3.5.

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #4,106 of 6,675
QUESTION(S)

1. Does it HARM / Decreases lifespan of the Battery if you continuously use it as a USB DAC? Like Daily ?

2. When using the ES100 as a USB DAC, I can use either 2.5mm or 3.5mm Port correct?

3. Is there a noticeable difference when using 2.5mm over 3.5mm ?
  1. Batteries degrade if they are kept constantly charged at 100%. The EarStudio app has an option to stop charging at 80-90%, to preserve the battery. Tap on the battery charge indicator on the home screen.
  2. Yes
  3. The biggest difference from 2.5mm balanced is more power. Some inefficient headphones sound better when driven with more power. For other headphones, the benefit is marginal, other than playing louder.

Feb 14, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #4,108 of 6,675
Thanks for the helpful info.

Does anyone happen to know much output mW does the ES100 have in Balanced Mode?
It depends on the load impedance. If you look at Radsone's output voltage specs, you could calculate power:

Output RMS Power (v²/R)
  • 3.5mm Unbalanced: 1.1 Vrms (16 Ohms = 75.6 mW, 300 Ohms = 4 mW)

• 2.5mm Balanced: 2.2 Vrms (16 Ohms = 302.5 mW, 300 Ohms = 16.1 mW)
You could use the Output Level Estimation function in the app to calculate this. The mW numbers come out a bit lower than the simple calculation above.
Just crank the source volume to 0 dB, and the Analog Volume to 2.0 dB.
You can enter your earphone's impedance value, and look at the 2x current vs. 2x voltage modes.

I get ample volume with my HD 6XX cans in 2x voltage (balanced) mode. I don't discern any audible benefit of balanced with my IEMs.

Feb 14, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #4,109 of 6,675
Gross story warning!

So I dropped my ES100 into the toilet.

I fished it out lightning fast and dried it off (ugh... I will spare you more detail)

At first the audio was fizzing and clearly quiet and distorted.

Later in the day just the left side worked

And then while on a call (the mic was fine) the right side came back!

Yay!

I hope the usb socket doesn't rust!

I was going to leave it in a tupperware box with rice in it. But no need!

Fingers crossed!

Report over.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #4,110 of 6,675
Gross story warning!

So I dropped my ES100 into the toilet.

I fished it out lightning fast and dried it off (ugh... I will spare you more detail)

At first the audio was fizzing and clearly quiet and distorted.

Later in the day just the left side worked

And then while on a call (the mic was fine) the right side came back!

Yay!

I hope the usb socket doesn't rust!

I was going to leave it in a tupperware box with rice in it. But no need!

Fingers crossed!

Report over.

Might be worth doing the rice treatment anyway just to remove any residual liquid to help prevent rusting, don't want it to crap out (pun intended) due to circuit board rust down the line. Better safe than sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back