Radsone EarStudio ES100
Dec 16, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #3,526 of 6,675
I'm using a 3.5mm Etymotic ER4SR Cable (seems to be a TRS jack), the same one as the link here.
The cable you linked comes in 3.5mm and balanced 2.5mm versions (look at the "Color" option). You need to buy a 2.5mm balanced cable. As @atmosfearz said, a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter can damage the ES100.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #3,527 of 6,675
This might sound really dumb, but I was playing around with the Dac Filters. Changing them while connected to my Andromeda’s- I know these iems are sensitive to certain things, these dac filters can’t damage anything right?

Dec 16, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #3,528 of 6,675
The cable you linked comes in 3.5mm and balanced 2.5mm versions (look at the "Color" option). You need to buy a 2.5mm balanced cable. As @atmosfearz said, a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter can damage the ES100.

Thank you for your inputs, much appreciated! May have to look for someone to re-terminate my cables or purchase the 2.5mm variant instead.

Dec 16, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #3,529 of 6,675
Day 3:
1) I bought it for 100$ (without shipping, taxes, and bad conversion rate). Few days later... 20% sale -> who is the lucky boy? Still no regrets;
1) battery actually showing incorrect numbers from now on (but who cares);
2) 2x current eating battery to much, so I charge it everyday;
3) found out that battery replacement is not that hard, but with "battery care" option I don't think I would need this at least for 2 years;
4) I want to buy another one in case I break this one somehow;
5) I've just put my old DAC in сupboard;
6) this Equalizer is so damn good;
7) how this thing can be damaged if you unplug audio jack when music is playing, never thought about it. It's like you can short something, and why there's no some kind of protection like diode?
8) is there's any good Android player that can play ISO (found only FiiO Music, it's good, but not enough);
9) thinking of updating firmware from 1.4.2, should I?

Dec 16, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #3,530 of 6,675
Day 3:
1) I bought it for 100$ (without shipping, taxes, and bad conversion rate). Few days later... 20% sale -> who is the lucky boy? Still no regrets;
1) battery actually showing incorrect numbers from now on (but who cares);
2) 2x current eating battery to much, so I charge it everyday;
3) found out that battery replacement is not that hard, but with "battery care" option I don't think I would need this at least for 2 years;
4) I want to buy another one in case I break this one somehow;
5) I've just put my old DAC in сupboard;
6) this Equalizer is so damn good;
7) how this thing can be damaged if you unplug audio jack when music is playing, never thought about it. It's like you can short something, and why there's no some kind of protection like diode?
8) is there's any good Android player that can play ISO (found only FiiO Music, it's good, but not enough);
9) thinking of updating firmware from 1.4.2, should I?

According to EarStudio, #7 is not a risk if you select Output>Audio Output Lock.

#9 I had no issues updating firmware.

Dec 17, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #3,533 of 6,675
It doesnt work on my laptop as USB-DAC somehow. It plays music for the first seconds absolutely fine and then there is "on sound" and then the music completely disappears.

Nvm: it was connected as bluetooth to my brothers laptop yesterday and once I start it automatically reconnects to the Laptop of my brothers. I am staying at his flat right now =)
Everything is all right.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #3,535 of 6,675
Hi all; recently upgraded to this little beauty from a Fiio BTR1--what a night and day difference! Anyway, currently using it with a Sony WM1A, but having a bit of an issue: with the BTR1, the 1A volume buttons would control the volume, but with the ES100, they do not. Is this a feature I need to turn on somehow? Is it perhaps a limitation of the LDAC codec? (BTR1 connected via aptX, fwiw) Thanks!

Dec 17, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #3,536 of 6,675
Hi all; recently upgraded to this little beauty from a Fiio BTR1--what a night and day difference! Anyway, currently using it with a Sony WM1A, but having a bit of an issue: with the BTR1, the 1A volume buttons would control the volume, but with the ES100, they do not. Is this a feature I need to turn on somehow? Is it perhaps a limitation of the LDAC codec? (BTR1 connected via aptX, fwiw) Thanks!

The ES100 buttons control the internal analog stage volume of the device for better granularity and to keep the source signal optimal. It is recommended you max out the source volume (BT volume on Android phones) to keep the source from lowering bit depth.

There's an explanation for much of this within the app, where you can also control either volume as well as set a volume limit. The ES100 buttons do love the volume in small steps (you can see it if you press them with the app open) but you can press and hold to go up in one fell swoop (where the limiter option comes in handy).

If they linked device volume to BT volume as a lot of other devices do, you'd have a lot less steps to choose from and SQ could suffer at very low volumes... So this is the compromise they've settled on (for Android anyway, I forget about iOS).

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #3,537 of 6,675
The ES100 buttons control the internal analog stage volume of the device for better granularity and to keep the source signal optimal. It is recommended you max out the source volume (BT volume on Android phones) to keep the source from lowering bit depth.

There's an explanation for much of this within the app, where you can also control either volume as well as set a volume limit. The ES100 buttons do love the volume in small steps (you can see it if you press them with the app open) but you can press and hold to go up in one fell swoop (where the limiter option comes in handy).

If they linked device volume to BT volume as a lot of other devices do, you'd have a lot less steps to choose from and SQ could suffer at very low volumes... So this is the compromise they've settled on (for Android anyway, I forget about iOS).

Thank you! Definitely helps in understanding how and why things are working a bit bitter. I did come across some of that info in the app, but my device is neither android or iOS--the WM1A uses Sony's own concoction for an OS... and when it streams BT, there is no more control of localized volume (what you are describing as source volume, I believe), and instead the volume buttons control the destination BT device. Just unfortunately not with the ES100. So, while I can quickly shuffle through songs on the player, any volume changes I need to dig around and find the tiny buttons on the ES100, often below layers of clothes/lab coats, etc. Just a pain in the butt, and was hoping there was a workaround, lol. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back