Radsone EarStudio ES100
Oct 23, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #3,121 of 6,675
nice to know this can drive the R70X nicely 20181022_195218.jpg

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #3,122 of 6,675
Oct 24, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #3,124 of 6,675
Ok, got the ES100 yesterday, today it goes back to amazon...

As such , the quality is not bad. Better than an average snapdragon-based smartphone. Worse than DFR. Unfortunately, pairing with my Fiio A5 was not that successful. Everything sounded somehow flabby and veiled.

On it's own, without an amp, the sound was warmer than an ipod touch 6th gen but overall about the same in quality. Some things sound a bit better out of ipod directly, some from ES100.

However, ipod pairs much better with the A5 than the ES100 does.

Sound quality of an ipod+A5, after a very minor EQ tweaking, is better than dragonfly red on it's own. ES100+A5 was noticeably worse.

Tests have been performed with volume-matched simultaneously playing sources (ipod and an ipad playing the same track) an a switch box, where DFR was used to compare other gear to it.

So, I'd say, if you have an Android phone - ES100 is a nice add-on. would improve sound quality a lot and add some comfort on top of it.

However, I was not looking for an absolute mobility, as I needed something that I can use indoors in a semi-mobile way. I was hoping an ES100 stacked with an A5 would give the best sound and convenience of fast switching between different sources (android phone, ipod, multiple ipads)... This didn't work out. I will continue using an ipod+A5 stack, and when I'd need a different source, I'd use a very mobile DFR for that.

On a side note, it's really surprizing how close ipod+A5 sound compared to the DFR. DFR has a slightly flabby bass and slightly more of it, ipod+A5 is a bit leaner, but provides a bit larger impact and dynamics. Even a difference in sound between an ipod and an ipad is more noticeable at a first listen, than a difference between ipod+A5 and a DFR. DFR always sounds a bit mellow in a direct comparison, ipod+A5 drive with more authority and sound more fun.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #3,125 of 6,675
Ok, got the ES100 yesterday, today it goes back to amazon...

As such , the quality is not bad. Better than an average snapdragon-based smartphone. Worse than DFR. Unfortunately, pairing with my Fiio A5 was not that successful. Everything sounded somehow flabby and veiled.

On it's own, without an amp, the sound was warmer than an ipod touch 6th gen but overall about the same in quality. Some things sound a bit better out of ipod directly, some from ES100.

However, ipod pairs much better with the A5 than the ES100 does.

Sound quality of an ipod+A5, after a very minor EQ tweaking, is better than dragonfly red on it's own. ES100+A5 was noticeably worse.

Tests have been performed with volume-matched simultaneously playing sources (ipod and an ipad playing the same track) an a switch box, where DFR was used to compare other gear to it.

So, I'd say, if you have an Android phone - ES100 is a nice add-on. would improve sound quality a lot and add some comfort on top of it.

However, I was not looking for an absolute mobility, as I needed something that I can use indoors in a semi-mobile way. I was hoping an ES100 stacked with an A5 would give the best sound and convenience of fast switching between different sources (android phone, ipod, multiple ipads)... This didn't work out. I will continue using an ipod+A5 stack, and when I'd need a different source, I'd use a very mobile DFR for that.

On a side note, it's really surprizing how close ipod+A5 sound compared to the DFR. DFR has a slightly flabby bass and slightly more of it, ipod+A5 is a bit leaner, but provides a bit larger impact and dynamics. Even a difference in sound between an ipod and an ipad is more noticeable at a first listen, than a difference between ipod+A5 and a DFR. DFR always sounds a bit mellow in a direct comparison, ipod+A5 drive with more authority and sound more fun.

i think the ES100 sound and power alone is comparable to the A5, and they have similar tuning. so i don't see the point on stacking them. by the way, did you set the ES100's volume to full so that it simulate a line level output?

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #3,126 of 6,675
i think the ES100 sound and power alone is comparable to the A5, and they have similar tuning. so i don't see the point on stacking them. by the way, did you set the ES100's volume to full so that it simulate a line level output?

A5 can play 13dB louder than ES100 in single-end. That's around 1Vrms vs. 5Vrms. 5 times more voltage, 25 times more power.

Btw, what do you mean by 'sound the same'? A5 is a pure MUSES02-based amp, that by definition shouldn't 'sound', it should amplify. The ES100 is a DAC with a not that powerfull built-in amp...

Apart from that, did you ever try to change the volume on a ES100 directly? With those extra-small buttons... On an A5, you can just turn the volume knob...

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #3,127 of 6,675
A5 can play 13dB louder than ES100 in single-end. That's around 1Vrms vs. 5Vrms. 5 times more voltage, 25 times more power.

Btw, what do you mean by 'sound the same'? A5 is a pure MUSES02-based amp, that by definition shouldn't 'sound', it should amplify. The ES100 is a DAC with a not that powerfull built-in amp...

Apart from that, did you ever try to change the volume on a ES100 directly? With those extra-small buttons... On an A5, you can just turn the volume knob...

to be fair i do use the ES100 mainly for iems and earbuds, while my hardest thing to drive is the R70X. you might have a more power hungry headphones that made the ES100 amp insufficient.

amps,while they do mainly amplify, but the different designs sometimes would still impart some degree of "signature" to the sound, including the width of stereo separation, attack, etc. that's why some people would prefer certain amps for their headphones (the so called synergy) and dislike some other amps. i had the Fiio E12, E18, and E17K some time ago, and use them as amp from my Ipod and other DAP. they all have different signature, even with flat setting on the EQ and the same gain setting.

on the subject of physical volume knob, i agree completely, that's why i like my bluedac better than my ES100 because of the volume knob :ksc75smile:

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #3,128 of 6,675
amps,while they do mainly amplify, but the different designs sometimes would still impart some degree of "signature" to the sound, including the width of stereo separation, attack, etc. that's why some people would prefer certain amps for their headphones (the so called synergy) and dislike some other amps. i had the Fiio E12, E18, and E17K some time ago, and use them as amp from my Ipod and other DAP. they all have different signature, even with flat setting on the EQ and the same gain setting.
:ksc75smile:

Of course one can say, no amp is really 100% transparent, I absolutely agree on that. But how can you say, 'A5 sounds similar to ES100'? ES100 is in a first place a DAC with a small amp. So, it's sound is a combination of what the DAC is producing + a flavor added by the in-built amp. A5 just adds a 'flavor' to a DAC, but the DAC itself can be warm, analytical, resolving, whatever you name it.... In this equation, it's only a part of the sum, but ES100 is a complete thing, with an own sound signature.

That's why I was a little irritated by a statement, A5 sounds similar to ES100. Might be, depending on a DAC used as a source. For me, an ipod touch 6th gen paired with an A5 sounds not even remotely similar to the ES100. And yes, you are right, I don't use IEMS, only full-size over-ears...

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #3,129 of 6,675
Of course one can say, no amp is really 100% transparent, I absolutely agree on that. But how can you say, 'A5 sounds similar to ES100'? ES100 is in a first place a DAC with a small amp. So, it's sound is a combination of what the DAC is producing + a flavor added by the in-built amp. A5 just adds a 'flavor' to a DAC, but the DAC itself can be warm, analytical, resolving, whatever you name it.... In this equation, it's only a part of the sum, but ES100 is a complete thing, with an own sound signature.

That's why I was a little irritated by a statement, A5 sounds similar to ES100. Might be, depending on a DAC used as a source. For me, an
ipod touch 6th gen paired with an A5 sounds not even remotely similar to the ES100. And yes, you are right, I don't use IEMS, only full-size over-ears...

A-Lexx, just out of curiosity, since we're talking about "synergy" and "signature"...what headphones were you using? That might help others better understand why you're sending back the ES100, and provide some purchasing guidance for their own setups.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #3,130 of 6,675
Lol, yeah the buttons on the ES100 are tiny but that's why you have the app so you can use the volume slider and adjust the other multiple settings.

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #3,131 of 6,675
Hey guys!

I wonder how the Earstudio ES100's performance is compared to Chord Mojo.

My portable listening equipment: Iphone X, Chord Mojo, a pair of Sennheiser HD800 and a pair of Campfire Atlas. I normally use my Iphone X to play music through Tidal. So I guess the first thing to notice is that by switching to wireless, Tidal's lossless source of music will be forced to be converted to AAC for bluetooth transmission, resulting in some quality degrade.

I'm really compelled by the convenience of having this gadget, but just a bit afraid of losing too much in terms of audio quality.

Earstudio ES100 vs Chord Mojo:

1) Resolution, transparency difference?

2) Soundstage?

3) Tonality?

I know it can be highly subjective, but try your best to define them if you can :)

Cheers

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #3,133 of 6,675

That's why I was a little irritated by a statement, A5 sounds similar to ES100. Might be, depending on a DAC used as a source. For me, an ipod touch 6th gen paired with an A5 sounds not even remotely similar to the ES100. And yes, you are right, I don't use IEMS, only full-size over-ears...

here i copy pasted again what i wrote on my previous post in case you didn't read it:

i had the Fiio E12, E18, and E17K some time ago, and use them as amp from my Ipod and other DAP. they all have different signature, even with flat setting on the EQ and the same gain setting.

so to make that statement clearer, the scenario was:

ipod line out to E12
ipod line out to E17k
ipod line out to E18

all three of the scenarios have different sound. so there you have it. same DAC, same headphone different amps, different sounds.

also, what headphones exactly are you using?

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #3,134 of 6,675
A-Lexx, just out of curiosity, since we're talking about "synergy" and "signature"...what headphones were you using? That might help others better understand why you're sending back the ES100, and provide some purchasing guidance for their own setups.

T5P. 2 and HD600. But that's actually not a problem. As I said, on it's own ES100 is not bad at all. But the synergy of ES100 with Fiio A5 isn't good for me. And I wouldn't drive those HPs unamped straight off the ES100, the dynamics are just lacking unamped.

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #3,135 of 6,675
How to check on Windows PC what codec it use with ES100 ?

Any plans to release app on Windows ?

Windows 10 has no ability to show which codec it's using. But it only uses ADP by default, and there is no way to change this. Supposedly the Win development team is aware of this and adding more functionality in a future release . But who knows if or when that would happen. It's not a high priority by Windows Dev standards .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back