Radsone EarStudio ES100
Sep 20, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #2,762 of 6,675
Today i've tested a little bit different audio codecs and sampling rates.
First. You are right LDAC with 96khz/32or24 bit sounds more airy with more space, more room...
From my point of view, air, space and room which is not there. Inside the developer options of my phone i configure to use 48 khz/24 bit vi LDAC.
The sound is more "natural" with more punch and more warmth.
From my point of view, that is the same ugly effect what you always experience with upsampling DACs. Until today i prefer to hear redbook CD's with 44.1 khz DAC, not with 192 khz, because you have more unnatural space and air in your music with upsampling DAC's.
If i understand some pages correctly, ANDROID uses a 48/24 bit audio system as internal mixer. It means when i set the LDAC mode to 48 khz 24 bit, i am "bitperfect" with the ANDROID sound engine.
Is that correct?
If yes, how can i play high res files over bluetooth? (i have one Talking heads 96khz/24bit FLAC long player on the phone.)
If i configure my phone to play 48 khz/24 bit via LDAC, do i have a benefit over APTX HD/AAC? Is LDAC sendig 990 bit/s via LDAC in that configuration?

I experience the exact same thing as you as i wrote about a few pages back. LDAC adds air and room which is not there in the recording. It may sound nice, but not true to the recording. It gladdens me to know that im not the only one hearing this. I will try LDAC with 48khz instead of 96 and see how that works out. Will report back :)

[Edit]
Ok i just tried it out and there is an difference. LDAC with 24/48 sounds more like AptxHD but im yet to test which is closer to the recording. This will be hard to decied but ill get my trusty Ettys and try this out later today maybe. Will report back.
[/Edit]

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #2,764 of 6,675
Sep 20, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #2,765 of 6,675
So I guess even if the ES100 gets a firmware update giving it BT 5.0, it won't make any difference on the sound quality. Only advantages are energy conservation and a wider range. So it seems that having LDAC is the REAL key to wireless FINALLY MATCHING wired sound.

https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com...nt-make-your-headphones-sound-better-0175490/
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/18/16903516/headphones-wireless-analog-jack-future-ces-2018

Thoughts?? Opinions?? lol

One question I have is, what exactly is the difference between like BT 4.2 or 5.0 and the different codecs? I believe they work together, but are they two separate things?? Can you have one without the other??

Sep 20, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #2,766 of 6,675
So I guess even if the ES100 gets a firmware update giving it BT 5.0, it won't make any difference on the sound quality.
@wslee discussed BT 5 earlier in the thread. BT 5 does not affect audio (A2DP). The updates to BT 5 are for improving performance in other applications such as IOT. There are wireless headphones that advertise supporting BT 5 but it is only for marketing without offering real advantage.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/radsone-earstudio.867366/page-10#post-14021985

Sep 20, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #2,767 of 6,675
@wslee discussed BT 5 earlier in the thread. BT 5 does not affect audio (A2DP). The updates to BT 5 are for improving performance in other applications such as IOT. There are wireless headphones that advertise supporting BT 5 but it is only for marketing without offering real advantage.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/radsone-earstudio.867366/page-10#post-14021985

Hmm ok. That's pretty much what I thought too, so thanks for the confirmation!!

Yeah. Marketing that includes a level of BS? NO WAY!! lol

Still, increasing range and saving energy aren't bad things, but BT X.X not having any affect on audio quality is something that should be noted and clarified much more often than it is. The fact that I have to ask about it in here tells you that the average person probably thinks 5.0 will sound better 4.2. At least that's what I'd imagine MOST non-audiophiles saying IF they were asked. lol

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #2,768 of 6,675
For those that are interested, I figured it out... There is an option in the app for usb output to be set to 24 bit 48khz, you just select that option and the ES100 will restart and you're set.

The "Audio Midi Set up" on your Mac will now show 24/48 as will the es100 show this as the input.

Attachments

• A6187589-A65F-493B-BFCA-1C359F4F4B28.png
    A6187589-A65F-493B-BFCA-1C359F4F4B28.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 0
Sep 20, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #2,769 of 6,675
So I guess the BIG question will be...............which codec sounds better? The upcoming aptX Adaptive codec (which is replacing aptX HD) or LDAC??

This article states all phones with Android 9.0+ will have aptX Adaptive built-in already and will be active by December of this year. So I guess that means even if you have a 9.0 Android phone, you still gotta wait 'til December to get codec upgrade.

LDAC has a higher transfer rate, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will sound better. We'll see.

So then the BIG question for 2019 will be, which one SOUNDS better? aptX Adaptive, or LDAC. And if it actually IS aptX Adaptive, then hopefully Radsone will update the ES100 accordingly to include it.

Thoughts & opinions?!! lol

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #2,770 of 6,675
Still, increasing range and saving energy aren't bad things, but BT X.X not having any affect on audio quality is something that should be noted and clarified much more often than it is. The fact that I have to ask about it in here tells you that the average person probably thinks 5.0 will sound better 4.2. At least that's what I'd imagine MOST non-audiophiles saying IF they were asked. lol

There is also not more range and saving Energy - As these things (and all other improvements of BT5) are only in Low Energy mode - but that one isn't used for transferring Audio.

Maybe the connection to the app to could be done via BT LE and would get more range and less energy consumtion. But a bigger range for changing Settings but still old reduced range for Audio is not very useful... And i don't think the app connection is using much energy already...

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #2,771 of 6,675
Genius Idea: (but very likely not working as it would have been done by someone else if possible)
@wslee: can both modes - BR/EDR and LE - be used at same time with full rate?

If so: Forget A2DP!.
Make your own protocol that combines the Datarates of BR/EDR and LE:
Maybe you can get the Audio on the Smartphone with the app and this one sends the Audio (compressed with a lossless codec like flac or alac) via your own protocol.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #2,772 of 6,675
So I guess the BIG question will be...............which codec sounds better? The upcoming aptX Adaptive codec (which is replacing aptX HD) or LDAC??

This article states all phones with Android 9.0+ will have aptX Adaptive built-in already and will be active by December of this year. So I guess that means even if you have a 9.0 Android phone, you still gotta wait 'til December to get codec upgrade.

LDAC has a higher transfer rate, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will sound better. We'll see.

So then the BIG question for 2019 will be, which one SOUNDS better? aptX Adaptive, or LDAC. And if it actually IS aptX Adaptive, then hopefully Radsone will update the ES100 accordingly to include it.

Thoughts & opinions?!! lol
From what I read about APTx Adaptive, It could be a step down in sound quality from APTx-HD; and will reduce bitrate in several situations.

Sep 20, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #2,773 of 6,675
From what I read about APTx Adaptive, It could be a step down in sound quality from APTx-HD; and will reduce bitrate in several situations.

I read the same thing with regards to actual measured resolution, but that article also mentioned it would process the audio data more efficiently, so it would actually be I believe "as good" as aptX HD, or better?

Sep 20, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #2,774 of 6,675
I read the same thing with regards to actual measured resolution, but that article also mentioned it would process the audio data more efficiently, so it would actually be I believe "as good" as aptX HD, or better?
You could be right. But is "processing the audio data" is a good thing? LOL Does not sound closer to lossless.

Unsure that the Quallcom/APTx folks are really targeting audiophiles.

We'll see what comes next. It would not surprise me if within 5 years there is "bluetooth" (or some other non-wifi format) that allows 24/48 wireless quality without any compression or processsimg. That would be fantastic.
Until then, LDAC and APTx HD are pretty good for now

Sep 20, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #2,775 of 6,675
You could be right. But is "processing the audio data" is a good thing? LOL Does not sound closer to lossless.

Unsure that the Quallcom/APTx folks are really targeting audiophiles.

We'll see what comes next. It would not surprise me if within 5 years there is "bluetooth" (or some other non-wifi format) that allows 24/48 wireless quality without any compression or processsimg. That would be fantastic.
Until then, LDAC and APTx HD are pretty good for now

lol...........I guess I just meant that it would do what every other codec does.

I downsample ALL my Hi-Res and CD-Quality (CDQ) music down to 256-512 kbps AAC. It all sounds the same to me, even with blind ABX Testing. And plus stats show ppl can't tell if the AAC is at 256 kbps or above. Below that though, yes.

I'm not sure either, but I still don't like to assume things because eventually you assume wrong. Always better to check for yourself if possible.

Yeah. Hopefully sooner! But then again, several ppl in here and per Amazon customer reviews show that ppl are finding that the ES100 sounds as good OR BETTER than their previous wired devices did. I really like that the ES100 has LDAC as well, so that your headphones don't have to. lol As long as I have my LG V30 with its Quad DAC and super amp, I'm fine. But the minute I switch to another phone (assuming it's not LG) I would say there's a STRONG chance I will get the ES100.

I don't have the ES100, but tonight I'm gonna see if I can notice a difference in my Poweramp app between 24/48 and 24/96. So far two people on here have claimed 24/48 sounds more natural and has more punch which I like, while the 24/96 sounds great but adds more air to the song, which some may like too. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back