Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jul 8, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #1,531 of 6,675
@wslee Do Radsone is thinking in making a future upgrade of the ES100 in the short term? just for the sake of considering in buying any upgrade version of it

This has been answered before. (See quote below)

They are not going to release anything unless it can offer a substantial improvement and there is nothing that looks like it can on the immediate horizon.

Thankfully they are still working hard to improve the current version and they are also working on implementing LDAC support too (and presumerbaly absorbing the licensing costs) although I think they would be more than entitled to charge more for the device once it is rolled out!

So in short, buy it now and enjoy!

Appreciate all of your interest and encouragement toward us and ES100.

Currently, we're working on the portable USB DAC, ES200, targeting Rocky Mountain Audio Fest this October.
ES200 is not a Bluetooth receiver, but a high-resolution USB DAC.
ES200 will also have our unique DualDrive technology and software values.
I'm afraid I can't tell you any detailed specifications of ES200 at the moment.

ES100 - Bluetooth receiver
ES200 - portable USB DAC

However, to develop and release ES100 upgrade, that is, ES100 MK II,
we need to figure out how to provide far better benefits than ES100,
not only with housing & case upgrade or LDAC support but also with something new significant values.
In other words, until we find them, we have no plan for ES100 MK II.
It would take a year and more, I think.

I hope we can release new good products continuously.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #1,532 of 6,675
This has been answered before. (See quote below)

They are not going to release anything unless it can offer a substantial improvement and there is nothing that looks like it can on the immediate horizon.

Thankfully they are still working hard to improve the current version and they are also working on implementing LDAC support too (and presumerbaly absorbing the licensing costs) although I think they would be more than entitled to charge more for the device once it is rolled out!

So in short, buy it now and enjoy!
Thanks! i missed that. I feel confident in buying it as soon my wallet allow me =D

Jul 8, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #1,534 of 6,675
Well personally I'd happily buy a ES100 MK II if it provided mostly design and battery upgrades.
x2

I chose the ES100 over the others based partly on its longer battery life, but I'd gladly take more, 18+ hours ideally.

Would also be interesting to see an easily swappable battery in a common size, like a 10440. Probably some reason why no one has done it though.

Jul 8, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #1,535 of 6,675
x2

I chose the ES100 over the others based partly on its longer battery life, but I'd gladly take more, 18+ hours ideally.

Would also be interesting to see an easily swappable battery in a common size, like a 10440. Probably some reason why no one has done it though.
I can tell you reasons since I'm in the business of manufacturing consumer electronics:
1. Exchangeable battery compartment eats a lot of space. Especially when battery is small I can guarantee that it will be many times smaller capacity final device for same weight and size.
2. Cost of mechanical structure is more than cost of battery.
3. Most consumers would break or lose device before battery needs a change.
4. Most consumers would not really want to go and buy new battery and they don't need it for daily life.
5. Rechargeable consumer grade lithium battery many times more expensive than pvc industrial cells for embedded use.

So making battery swappable makes every actually important property worse and makes almost no real advantage for absolute majority of users.

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #1,536 of 6,675
I can tell you reasons since I'm in the business of manufacturing consumer electronics:
1. Exchangeable battery compartment eats a lot of space. Especially when battery is small I can guarantee that it will be many times smaller capacity final device for same weight and size.
4. Most consumers would not really want to go and buy new battery and they don't need it for daily life.
5. Rechargeable consumer grade lithium battery many times more expensive than pvc industrial cells for embedded use.

So making battery swappable makes every actually important property worse and makes almost no real advantage for absolute majority of users.
Well, the advantage is you can swap out the battery when it runs down instead of having to charge it. That seems useful to me.

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,537 of 6,675
The ES100 checks almost every feature a person could desire, a improvement would be a metal frame with plastics (no glass). bigger battery, and USB-C. I like the swappable battery idea, although it would double it size even with the same specs.

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #1,538 of 6,675

Most of the issue is to do with costs considering the nature of LiPo batteries - they prefer being in a sealed bag rather than a container and I agree with most of the issues you've raised, except that in the the evolution of devices, it is the manufacturer that has issues - just about every consumer would prefer the choice of a removable battery, but might not be prepared to pay what's required to have it. obviously, if the manufacturer sells more products because they are disposable, that's another benefit for the manufacturer.

It's not really the consumers fault, it is entirely to do with the process being expensive.

Jul 8, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #1,539 of 6,675
Most of the issue is to do with costs considering the nature of LiPo batteries - they prefer being in a sealed bag rather than a container and I agree with most of the issues you've raised, except that in the the evolution of devices, it is the manufacturer that has issues - just about every consumer would prefer the choice of a removable battery, but might not be prepared to pay what's required to have it. obviously, if the manufacturer sells more products because they are disposable, that's another benefit for the manufacturer.

It's not really the consumers fault, it is entirely to do with the process being expensive.
If cost was the only issue - it would be true. But reality is that exchangeable battery is significantly more bulky device.

Jul 9, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #1,541 of 6,675
v1.3.0.zip (Download)
- Sony LDAC support (44.1/48/88.2/96KHz @ 24-bit)
- Added Battery Care feature to help maximize the battery life
- Added Auto Power On/Off upon the presence of USB power

Im amazed by this support!

The battery care, how does it work?

Jul 9, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #1,542 of 6,675
v1.3.0.zip (Download)

From what I can see in the app, it cuts charging at 80-90% instead of charging it to 100%.
I know there's much debate on how to best treat LiPo batteries so I'm not going to comment if this is better or not, the opinions on this can be found by googling and are widely spread :)
I simply do not know which way is better.

Jul 9, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #1,543 of 6,675
v1.3.0.zip (Download)

Have to agree with you on that. Amazing support. I'm so happy, that LDAC support is here. :)
This is what makes Radsone stand above the rest. I've owned quite a few portable dac/amps/players, and absolutely none of them would even come anywhere close to the continuous improvements, Radsone keeps churning out.

Hats off!! @wslee

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #1,544 of 6,675
I'm having major issues entering into DFU mode, when i do press the power button and then connect the led goes completely away, yet its not in DFU mode. Then after that I cant start the device again without reseting it or reseting the USB connection to my PC. Worked fine to update on the last time tho..

I also ran the script with admin setting.

edit: Worked now... I ran the script from the wrong folder.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #1,545 of 6,675
Well, LDAC and power features are cool.

But I'm puzzled how one would be auto forcing LDAC?
If I block AAC and APTX it falls back to SBC and only through developer options I can enforce LDAC. Certainly, after disconnect, it falls back to SBC.
If I enable AAC - it goes to AAC every time.

iPhone doesn't support LDAC. That means pretty much everybody going to have the same story - LDAC won't be actually used on a daily basis. While Radsone will be paying license fees for it.

How to fix that? I assume something about priorities should be done here - AAC is higher priority for example.

P.S. 900Kbit can't sustain at all doesn't matter buffer or conditions. 600Kbit loses connection from time to time.

Edit: Found how to fix - go to device BT settings and turn on LDAC on it. Except don't know how to fix 44.1kHz.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back