Radsone EarStudio ES100
Mar 11, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #6,391 of 6,675
Hope this is the correct place to ask: has anyone tried (and had success) with connecting the ES100 directly to a Garmin "music" compatible smartwatch/fitness tracker.

In particular: I'm considering the Garmin Venu Sq "music", which can stream directly to bluetooth headphones. Would be great not having to take the phone on workouts with me...

But I'm not sure whether the codecs in the ES100 would get it recognized, or not. It's been fine running from my Android phone so far, but not sure whether it would behave with the Gramin.
I think I attempted to once, but it wouldn't give me any sound. I hadn't updated my ES100 though, and I haven't tried it since.

However I do have a comment as far as audio quality, unless you load your own higher bitrate mp3s, I wouldn't bother with Garmin music. I've used the Venu and Fenix 6S Solar and the Spotify quality is horrendous. It was so bad it wasn't even worth listening to music, and I was skateboarding so I wasn't necessarily paying that much attention to the music, but I just couldn't stand listening to my favorite songs in such poor quality. I also put some of the blame on the SBC codec Garmin uses.

I also notice quite a big difference between codecs when streaming to the ES100 from my M1 Mac vs my Oneplus 7 Pro. LDAC makes a big difference. Or maybe my Tin P1s are that revealing.

If you showed me this crazy EQ and told me the headphones wouldn't sound like straight garbage, I wouldn't believe you. But my god did Tin really f*ck up the tuning on the P1s, because these are up there with my Hifiman HE500s for enjoyment with this EQ. Without the EQ they aren't even worth the $70 they cost me used. So it permanently lives on my ES100 mk2.

PBwrmGn.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #6,392 of 6,675
Been loving using this amp daily for a month now and the app is great!

However, I can’t figure out how to apply a low shelf eq or change the frequency bands or the peaks to something more specific. for example my options are 31, 62, 125, 250, 500, 1K, 2K, 4K, 8K, 16K. But, I want to adjust specifically 1.5K and 3.5K. And, I want to be able to do it in a more narrow Q factor than 0.7 or 1.4 which are the only options.

if this amp can’t do that complex, what other Bluetooth amp/Dac would??

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #6,393 of 6,675
Been loving using this amp daily for a month now and the app is great!

However, I can’t figure out how to apply a low shelf eq or change the frequency bands or the peaks to something more specific. for example my options are 31, 62, 125, 250, 500, 1K, 2K, 4K, 8K, 16K. But, I want to adjust specifically 1.5K and 3.5K. And, I want to be able to do it in a more narrow Q factor than 0.7 or 1.4 which are the only options.

if this amp can’t do that complex, what other Bluetooth amp/Dac would??
You need PEQ. Check out the Qudelix 5K. PEQ works great on it.

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #6,396 of 6,675
Sold out? Unavailable at Amazon which according to their official website is only place I can buy it.
Not sure if you actually meant that as a question but I bought direct from them when it first came out (they werent sold on Amazon yet when it launched). Looks like you still can (I am in the US).

https://www.qudelix.com/collections/frontpage/products/qudelix-5k-dac-amp

This is the ES100 thread so I suggest you post any additional questions or comments you have on the Qudelix 5K thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-qudelix-5k-thread.914628/

Mar 17, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #6,397 of 6,675
When I connect my ES100 up to my work laptop (Win10), I can get some decent quality audio from standard audio sources like YouTube but whenever I use any standard call software, I get the Default Communication Device quality (probably SBC.)

I have popped through the standard Windows Sound Manager and properties but cannot get better than old-style telephone line quality.

Of course, being a works laptop I can't install anything, especially drivers, or modify much at all. In fact, being able to use Bluetooth for audio devices is an easement for Covid.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do? Without plugging it in or without being able to plug it in, I am not sure whether I can get anything approaching better quality.

(The supplied on-ears are terrible. I do much better with in-ears and I thought I'd make use of my ES100 and balanced Fiio IEMs instead)

Mar 17, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #6,399 of 6,675
When I connect my ES100 up to my work laptop (Win10), I can get some decent quality audio from standard audio sources like YouTube but whenever I use any standard call software, I get the Default Communication Device quality (probably SBC.)
Can you give an example of what you mean by "standard call software"? After Windows has connected systemwide Bluetooth audio to a device, it wouldn't switch codec depending on the app. Does the same software sound better when plugging in instead of using Bluetooth?

Mar 29, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #6,400 of 6,675
Today I think i made a big mistake and tried to use my ES100 as source for my JBL 305P MKII. I bought a 3.5 mm TS to 1/4" TS Mono Interconnect Cable. The speaker after about 5 min made a scratch noise and stopped turning on. Was I supposed to configure the ES100 as a just a line out? Did the ES100 AMP feed power over the cable causing damage to the speaker?

Sorry for the newbie question!

Mar 31, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #6,402 of 6,675
Bought August 2018. Listening to the new album from The Pretty Reckless: Motorola Moto G7> Amazon Music > Original ES100 with original firmware > about 45' away from phone's downstairs location, thru 2 walls, and no dropouts.

One word: Awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back