Radsone EarStudio ES100
Dec 1, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #6,301 of 6,675
Good day everyone! I would like to ask if anyone of you have the ability to check the values of each smd resistors in ES100? Mine got some several busted resistors. I can't send it back for repair as it is already past the warranty period. If anyone can do it, I would really appreciate it. Many thanks!

Also I don't know if this is the correct thread for this, if not please forgive me as I am new to Head-fi.

How did the resistors get damaged if you don’t mind me asking?

Dec 2, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #6,304 of 6,675
How did you determine that resistors are "busted"? What do you mean exactly (shorted, open circuit)?
It's like it popped off. I'll contact my fellow modder who's doing all the checking and the repair after we figure out what are the values of the said resistors. The last time I've heard from him, he said the the resistors around the 3.5mm and 2.5mm sockets are all busted

Will update you once he replies to my messages.

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #6,305 of 6,675
It's like it popped off. I'll contact my fellow modder who's doing all the checking and the repair after we figure out what are the values of the said resistors. The last time I've heard from him, he said the the resistors around the 3.5mm and 2.5mm sockets are all busted

Will update you once he replies to my messages.

Could you possibly provide some photos of the damage? Normally resistors don't necessarily blow up / burn through (capacitors on the other hand do like to do that), is there any chance it was physical damage, i.e. pressure on the socket or similar?

Dec 3, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #6,306 of 6,675
Could you possibly provide some photos of the damage? Normally resistors don't necessarily blow up / burn through (capacitors on the other hand do like to do that), is there any chance it was physical damage, i.e. pressure on the socket or similar?

Attachments

• received_396025245051346.jpeg
    received_396025245051346.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0
  • received_1070525563377744.jpeg
    received_1070525563377744.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
  • received_431176194719781.jpeg
    received_431176194719781.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 0
Dec 4, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #6,307 of 6,675

To me it looks like the resistors are burned and blown off right by the input jack.

You mentioned that your friend was trying to “hook it up to his speakers”. Did he think the ES100 was a Bluetooth transmitter, or a Bluetooth receiver? Because the ES100 is only a Bluetooth receiver. If he thought it was a transmitter, perhaps he plugged it into an amplifier output, which caused some sort of overload, power surge, or even a massive static electric discharge.

Can you provide some more details as to the exact order of eventsthat you friend performed, as well as his equipment setup?

Thanks

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #6,308 of 6,675
This is a 400 page thread so please forgive me if this has been asked. Has anyone tried swapping out the battery of the es100 mk1? I can say confidently(80%) that my battery has died out. It doesn't seem like a hard change and really only needs a soldering kit. Curious if anyone here has done a change?

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #6,309 of 6,675
This is a 400 page thread so please forgive me if this has been asked. Has anyone tried swapping out the battery of the es100 mk1? I can say confidently(80%) that my battery has died out. It doesn't seem like a hard change and really only needs a soldering kit. Curious if anyone here has done a change?

I had a weird issue with what I think was a Kickstarter version es100. Anyway it always used to keep turning in and off while charging, but it did charge. After some time, I changed the charger setting to just turn off while charging. Thing never charged again. Battery was dead.

Tldr changed battery, device didn't work. Whether that was a firmware or or hardware issue I'll never know. Could have been my friends soldering skills that failed.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #6,310 of 6,675

Once mine dies, I plan to. But the darn things just refuse to!

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #6,311 of 6,675
Dec 6, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #6,313 of 6,675
I had a weird issue with what I think was a Kickstarter version es100. Anyway it always used to keep turning in and off while charging, but it did charge. After some time, I changed the charger setting to just turn off while charging. Thing never charged again. Battery was dead.

Tldr changed battery, device didn't work. Whether that was a firmware or or hardware issue I'll never know. Could have been my friends soldering skills that failed.
Oh well I take what I said back. Didn't see your statement till now. Never messed with the app but I know what you're referring to in terms of it turning on during charging. Thank you! I'll still try it for the sake of others who may also be effected.

Dec 7, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #6,314 of 6,675
Oh well I take what I said back. Didn't see your statement till now. Never messed with the app but I know what you're referring to in terms of it turning on during charging. Thank you! I'll still try it for the sake of others who may also be effected.
I think most useful thing to report back if successful is where to get the battery.

My friend ended up finding a store with the correct size (mAh) and connection type, but the shape of the battery was slightly different from the stock one.

Couldn't really put the case together. Didn't need to - the battery wouldnt charge while in the device. Bricked - (would a firmware issue prevent charging a healthy battery?)

Bought another es100 on sale for gym / out, and qudelix 5k for home use.

Dec 7, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #6,315 of 6,675
To me it looks like the resistors are burned and blown off right by the input jack.

You mentioned that your friend was trying to “hook it up to his speakers”. Did he think the ES100 was a Bluetooth transmitter, or a Bluetooth receiver? Because the ES100 is only a Bluetooth receiver. If he thought it was a transmitter, perhaps he plugged it into an amplifier output, which caused some sort of overload, power surge, or even a massive static electric discharge.

Can you provide some more details as to the exact order of eventsthat you friend performed, as well as his equipment setup?

Thanks
I've been trying to get what exactly happened but he couldn't aaaaaaa. I also asked for a more detailed explanation, but he couldn't give me the exact details as his father didn't explain it well and is not well versed in audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back