Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jan 30, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #5,956 of 6,675
What kind of cable I need to connect ES100 to my car AUX, and connect my earphones to ES100.
Are you asking about connecting to the car and earphones at the same time? Doesn't make sense, and that's why everybody is confused about your question. To connect ES100 to your car aux, use a cable with 3.5mm male stereo plug at both ends.

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #5,958 of 6,675
Yes, this is what I meant one more time my apologies to make you all confused ;(

Yeah you can use it for that. As stated above, all you’d need is a simple 3.5mm AUX cable.

Unless your car has USB audio input, which if so I have no idea if the ES100 would work as a USB DAC. I strongly doubt it, but it might.

Anyways, assuming you’ll be using the 3.5mm AUX to the car stereo, you’ll obviously also need to connect it to USB for power. That’s probably what the ‘car mode’ does (ie run off USB power all the time vs the battery).

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #5,959 of 6,675
Yeah you can use it for that. As stated above, all you’d need is a simple 3.5mm AUX cable.

Unless your car has USB audio input, which if so I have no idea if the ES100 would work as a USB DAC. I strongly doubt it, but it might.

Anyways, assuming you’ll be using the 3.5mm AUX to the car stereo, you’ll obviously also need to connect it to USB for power. That’s probably what the ‘car mode’ does (ie run off USB power all the time vs the battery).

Thank you so much for your help again sorry for the confusion.

Jan 31, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #5,961 of 6,675
These settings just woke me up, nice one.
LOL, with LDAC DCT & Crossfeed are disabled. I also have mine on Slow Roll Off & 4x Sampling, just because...and also 2x Current.

Feb 1, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #5,962 of 6,675
LOL, with LDAC DCT & Crossfeed are disabled. I also have mine on Slow Roll Off & 4x Sampling, just because...and also 2x Current.
Hi lurk long time no speak, i miss the days of you and twinstack discovering tk12's, im running akg n40 from your rec(home pair ) and MOMENTUM In-Ear 2.0 (beater pair). I was using slow roll off before but sharp roll off might have opened the stage a little for me on the m2.0s, not so much difference on the n40's. I use LDAC so i don't care about dct and Crossfeed but turning off this Hd jitter options is the main difference for me. I may play about with sampling x4 to see what that does.

Lurk Im on my third es100 in 1 n a half years because i keep breaking them, delicate little souls they are lol and i read your post about updating and copied you haha, I've been on 1.3v firmware before and i can say 2.0.2 is a big jump for me.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #5,963 of 6,675
Indeed LDAC makes Crossfeed moot; the filters are a matter of preference, and matching with the particular music and headgear; oversampling is there to correct rare potential errors; and HD jitter is the same, I didn’t notice a meaningful difference when toggling it on or off, and it shouldn’t degrade SQ given what it does - excessive smoothing perhaps?

At any rate I should qualify my earlier statement - the ES100 sounds amazing for a matchbox-sized $100 BT DAC/amp. I am just turning into a terrible snob with unrealistic standards.

Feb 4, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #5,965 of 6,675
How much caution should I put into the warning given when trying 2X voltage on balanced? It mentions possibly damaging the ES100 and headphones if I "accidentally increase the volume excessively." I'm not sure what constitutes excessive volume increase. It says this should only be used for high impedance headphones above 300 ohms. I was thinking of trying this for the HD58X which is at 150 ohms. So I guess the questions are whether there would be any benefit to going 2X voltage, and whether there are serious considerations of damaging something at particular volumes. Then with something with a far lower impedance like IEMs is there even more risk of causing damage (and would there be any point/benefit to using 2X voltage)?

Not even bothering to mess with it until somebody can reassure me, lol.

Feb 4, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #5,966 of 6,675
I'm not sure what constitutes excessive volume increase. It says this should only be used for high impedance headphones above 300 ohms. I was thinking of trying this for the HD58X which is at 150 ohms.
Their instructions seem pretty clear. So, why not just do what they say? :o2smile:

"excessive volume" means exactly that. The equivalent of blowing out speakers by playing them too loud. Turn up the volume so loud that the sound is distorting (probably too loud for you to listen comfortably). And then continue turning up the volume even louder. That would be excessive volume and could possibly damage the headphones. But 2X voltage will be fine with your HD58X as long you keep the volume within sane listening levels. If 1X already plays loud enough for you, I doubt 2X will be an improvement but you can listen for yourself.

Feb 4, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #5,967 of 6,675
How much caution should I put into the warning given when trying 2X voltage on balanced? It mentions possibly damaging the ES100 and headphones if I "accidentally increase the volume excessively." I'm not sure what constitutes excessive volume increase. It says this should only be used for high impedance headphones above 300 ohms. I was thinking of trying this for the HD58X which is at 150 ohms. So I guess the questions are whether there would be any benefit to going 2X voltage, and whether there are serious considerations of damaging something at particular volumes. Then with something with a far lower impedance like IEMs is there even more risk of causing damage (and would there be any point/benefit to using 2X voltage)?

Not even bothering to mess with it until somebody can reassure me, lol.
I regularly run my Jubilees at 2x voltage on the balanced output of the ES100, I've had no issues. It gives them a little extra "push" that I think they need to perform, although it's still not the best pairing I've found for them.

Feb 4, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #5,968 of 6,675
Hi lurk long time no speak, i miss the days of you and twinstack discovering tk12's, im running akg n40 from your rec(home pair ) and MOMENTUM In-Ear 2.0 (beater pair). I was using slow roll off before but sharp roll off might have opened the stage a little for me on the m2.0s, not so much difference on the n40's. I use LDAC so i don't care about dct and Crossfeed but turning off this Hd jitter options is the main difference for me. I may play about with sampling x4 to see what that does.

Lurk Im on my third es100 in 1 n a half years because i keep breaking them, delicate little souls they are lol and i read your post about updating and copied you haha, I've been on 1.3v firmware before and i can say 2.0.2 is a big jump for me.
Ah yes, HD Jitter was another option that was found to help a bit a few months ago.

Those were the good ole days, Twin is MIA on here for a couple years now. I'm still on my first ES100....waiting for the Qudelix 5K lol

Feb 4, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #5,969 of 6,675
Ah yes, HD Jitter was another option that was found to help a bit a few months ago.

Those were the good ole days, Twin is MIA on here for a couple years now. I'm still on my first ES100....waiting for the Qudelix 5K lol

I disabled jitter, and you guys are right it definitely sounds better. Why is it all of the features that are supposed to make it sound better, actually make it sound worse haha? I guess as in most things K.I.S.S. is best

As far as your other comment, Twin and Wokei were 2 of the people that first got me interested in HeadFi and specifically ChiFi (via KZ). Good dudes, and I hope they’re both doing ok nowadays.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #5,970 of 6,675

They're way overly cautious in how they phrase that. When switching headphones etc. just always start with lowest volume and increase to a safe listening level -- which is what you should do with any amp/DAP/etc.

You don't need to worry about the impedance thing; they're generalizing. Just try both and see if you hear an appreciable difference. In terms of whether IEMs will beneft from a high voltage mode, it depends on the IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back