Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jul 23, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #5,026 of 6,675
Hi all. Am a very happy ES100 user, but seem to have found a bug and wish to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

Through various trials, it seems that when my ES100 is connected to my phone (Galaxy Note 8) and audio is playing, the ES100 will send extra pause/play signals to the phone. The result is, whether I am playing the phone through the headphone jack of the phone, or via the ES100 headphone jack, the audio stream will frequently pause without any button pushes on the ES100.

Experiment: Turn off ES100, then play audio through phone headphones. Turn on ES100. Phone connects to ES100 and switches over output to bluetooth. I unplug the phone headset and replug in, switching audio back to phone headset. Restart audio. Audio will pause within a minute (nothing is touching the ES100), often much less than a minute. Then turn ES100 off. Audio through phone headset plays normally and does not pause.

I will factory reset and see if the problem goes away (and report back). But has anyone experienced this?

Jul 23, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #5,027 of 6,675
Good point! Over the years, I have "fixed" many electronics with USB chargers by simply by shining a flash light into the USB port and carefully removing whatever gunk has accumulated. Often a strong puff of air will remove said gunk. Please keep us posted, and cheers!

I have special pointy cotton swabs that are made specifically for that exact purpose!

I too have ‘fixed’ many flaky phone charging ports and other electronics by using a bit of electrical contact cleaner (or even alcohol) and the special cotton swabs.

I’ve also used the same swabs to recondition mmcx sockets that were in poor condition, as well as to totally clean out all of the stuff that accumulates in the nozzles of IEMs.

781B327D-14A7-4B1D-87AA-E2710316FB56.jpeg FCF541AE-9BEC-4AF8-8F57-CAEC48D19A50.jpeg

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #5,029 of 6,675
Jul 23, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #5,030 of 6,675
I have special pointy cotton swabs that are made specifically for that exact purpose!

I too have ‘fixed’ many flaky phone charging ports and other electronics by using a bit of electrical contact cleaner (or even alcohol) and the special cotton swabs.

I’ve also used the same swabs to recondition mmcx sockets that were in poor condition, as well as to totally clean out all of the stuff that accumulates in the nozzles of IEMs.

Gotta find me some of those!

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #5,031 of 6,675
Gotta find me some of those!

If you search Aliexpress for “cotton swabs phone”, you’ll find them.

There’s 2 main types, which I showed in the 2 photos from my post. I have and use both types, because 1 of the 2 types of swab may fit some devices or crevices. So usually between the 2 types of swabs I can find one that works. That’s why I recommend grabbing 1 of each type, which will cover you :)

They’re super cheap too.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #5,032 of 6,675
Anyone have thoughts on the sound pressure decibel level output readout in EarStudio on iOS? If I set things so I’ve got 85db output, seems impossibly quiet. I’ve got the right impedance etc settings for my earbuds, iPhone volume all the way up etc. either the app is inaccurate or my hearing is shot!

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #5,033 of 6,675
If you search Aliexpress for “cotton swabs phone”, you’ll find them.

There’s 2 main types, which I showed in the 2 photos from my post. I have and use both types, because 1 of the 2 types of swab may fit some devices or crevices. So usually between the 2 types of swabs I can find one that works. That’s why I recommend grabbing 1 of each type, which will cover you :)

They’re super cheap too.

Thanks - $3 probably well spent (if not for the ES100, for something!).

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #5,034 of 6,675
Anyone have thoughts on the sound pressure decibel level output readout in EarStudio on iOS? If I set things so I’ve got 85db output, seems impossibly quiet. I’ve got the right impedance etc settings for my earbuds, iPhone volume all the way up etc. either the app is inaccurate or my hearing is shot!
Asked the same thing a few pages back.
I think the issue is that it assumes your source is constantly at 0dB, which it isn't.
For a lot of music I listen at around 105dB SPL and my hearing is absolutely fine. Some of my tracks are recorded quietly so need a bit more, but some of them are very loud to start with so I turn it down to 85dB or so.
I have 'Sound Check' switched off on the iPhone.
Don't worry about it

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #5,036 of 6,675
Asked the same thing a few pages back.
I think the issue is that it assumes your source is constantly at 0dB, which it isn't.
For a lot of music I listen at around 105dB SPL and my hearing is absolutely fine. Some of my tracks are recorded quietly so need a bit more, but some of them are very loud to start with so I turn it down to 85dB or so.
I have 'Sound Check' switched off on the iPhone.
Don't worry about it

I appreciate the clear answer and apologize for the repetition. My experience re often being near a stated 105dB is the same!

Christian

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #5,037 of 6,675
I appreciate the clear answer and apologize for the repetition. My experience re often being near a stated 105dB is the same!

Christian
No problem at all. For info, I'm listening to my Koss KSC-75s today.
60ohm, 101dB and it tends to work out at the same SPL, around 105dB SPL. As long as you think of it as a peak output, it makes a bit more sense.

Jul 26, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #5,038 of 6,675
I've been needing a new portable DAC and was looking into the ES100 because of all of its extra functionality. Is anyone able to compare the sound quality when used as a USB DAC to others like the Dragonfly Red or Cobalt? Would only be using this for IEMs.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #5,039 of 6,675
If you find out your new cell phone lose 3.5mm jack.
This is probably the least expensive way to compensate and maybe it works better.

Jul 28, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #5,040 of 6,675
I've been needing a new portable DAC and was looking into the ES100 because of all of its extra functionality. Is anyone able to compare the sound quality when used as a USB DAC to others like the Dragonfly Red or Cobalt? Would only be using this for IEMs.

IDK how much better is the Red/Cobalt vs the original version, but I'd take ES100 any day and I sold Dragonfly + DAP soon after I got ES100. To my belief and ears, that possibility of ~10% increase of "better sound" (which I can rarely ever able to distinguish) of wired options is just not comparable to ES100's wireless convenience (and the sound is damn good too). Best $100 I've ever spent on audio gear, worth every single cent.
That's all with the shilling, ok so Dragonfly black sound is a tiny bit cleaner and blacker background vs ES100. Again, I can hardly tell unless I sit down and look for them.

BTW, Fiio is releasing BTR5 soon later this year and the specs is pretty great, might be a worthy ES100 replacement (unless Radson does their magic again with something like ES100 v2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back