Radsone EarStudio ES100
Sep 15, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #2,731 of 6,675
It works fine with my note 4 but it only has apt x vs the Ldac codec I get with the lg g6 and the bluetooth on the note 4 drains the battery twice as fast as the g6 my son gave me. I also prefer to have my music collection on a separate device than my phone. You will still enjoy the best Bluetooth sound you've ever heard with the note 4 and ES100 combo if you pick one up, plus the support and app and eq are superior to the competition that I have seen.
Unfortunately the Note 4 is stuck at Android 6, but that's OK. I don't have anything to compare the battery life to. But I believe that the difference with BT on, or off, only affect a few percent. Doesn't really matter though, since I have 4 batteries that I switch between. :)

Sep 15, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #2,732 of 6,675
Well, it's just that there are 2 stages, let's say stage 1 is where there is the signal coming from your phone to the Bluetooth output and stage 2 is where the signal is inside the ES100 just prior to the EQ before the final result is sent to the DAC/AMP combo.

Essentially, for best results, both stages need to use the full dynamic range of the signal without any clipping.

Stage 1 benefits from being to maximum source volume *and* normalisation can help too. this puts the signal at 0dB for this stage (lower than maximum volume is a negative volume below 0 dB)

Stage 2 benefits from maintaining the 0 dB prior to the DAC/AMP as well.

So, the EQ in the ES100 defaults to a -6 dB on the signal to help users set their custom EQ without accidentally clipping it by going above the 0 dB point.

It then applies a +6 dB compensation in the analog stage, which won't clip the signal, it adjusts the AMP output in theory (which may actually be another third internal digital volume depending on how the AMP stage works, ignore that, it won't clip either)

What this means is that when setting up your custom EQ, there are 2 pre-amps in a way, the default of -6dB and the one you set alongside your EQ.

The combination of the maximum adjuster for all EQ bands (for example low bass boost might be + 4 dB on the 31.5 Hz band) *and* the default pre-pre-amp value of -6dB and the pre-amp you set next to the whole EQ .... the combination of all 3 must be less then 0 dB for all EQ bands, for example, with a bass boost of +4 dB, you can safely apply a +2 dB pre-amp in the EQ section and not clip ( I would recommend + 1.9 to account for rounding)

Unfortunately, that is all getting a bit complicated, which is why things are getting a bit messy. My favourite player, Neutron has a pre-amp slider alongside the EQ section which you can accidentally clip the signal with, so it also has a switch for an Auto Gain Protector, which will actually force the pre-amp slider down to prevent any clipping if it's going to happen - you get to see it do that too, which makes it very clear what's going on and this allows you to use say a boost on the pre-amp which may be forced down for the rest of that track if it has to to prevent clipping.

Set your phone source volume to maximum or close to if using a Hi-Res codec.

Edit: I'm thinking if you do all this with your custom EQ, don't set the main analog volume slider above 0 dB or it may actually clip - the analog volume is probably a digital one inside the DAC,

Wow! Ok. lol

Yeah sounds like I should just do what I always do........have source device at max, and then adjust source device accordingly. My custom EQs all have a dip in the pre-amp EQ band to keep the high end from getting too sharp at louder volumes, but only a small dip.

Thanks!!

Sep 15, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #2,733 of 6,675
Unfortunately the Note 4 is stuck at Android 6, but that's OK. I don't have anything to compare the battery life to. But I believe that the difference with BT on, or off, only affect a few percent. Doesn't really matter though, since I have 4 batteries that I switch between. :)
You're all set, I would have still been using mine but I got a free g6 given to me so I jumped on it to get the aptx HD codec. I never updated the g6 at first until wslee gave us the Ldac upgrade for free and then I updated the g6 to Oreo and it sounds just a bit better but you will still be impressed with the ES100 over aptx or aac either way. Enjoy

Sep 15, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #2,734 of 6,675
After the 1.4 firmware update the Earstudio es100 has low volume.I already checked the Max volume limit feature it is at highest possible.But it still sound less louder than before the update.

Sep 15, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #2,735 of 6,675
After the 1.4 firmware update the Earstudio es100 has low volume.I already checked the Max volume limit feature it is at highest possible.But it still sound less louder than before the update.

There is a major bug in the pre-amp section of EQ in this firmware.

I'm sure they are working on a fix... is the EQ on when you experience the drop in volume?

Sep 15, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #2,736 of 6,675
There is a major bug in the pre-amp section of EQ in this firmware.

I'm sure they are working on a fix... is the EQ on when you experience the drop in volume?
EQ Processing Headroom was at -12 pre digutal gain I changed to -6 pre digital gain seems louder now

Sep 16, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #2,738 of 6,675
I was unable to get the app to recognise my fw 1.41 revision device just then, the device turned on and worked, but no app control. I tried removing the device from the app list, but it would not connect to the mac address of this device.

I was forced to revert to 1.32 to get it working again.

I'm happy on 1.32 and I'm not impressed with the bad coding on this device for this new firmware, it seems Radsone may need to refactor the code and think about design issues before this will be resolved.

The pre-amp settings don't make sense to me, they prevent the user from being able to have the EQ maintain the dynamic range by forcing a volume decrease that is also buggy with the pre-sets.

I guess if everyone likes the new arrangement, then I'll manage, but unless I can have the pre-sets function automatically with a pre-amp setting of my choice, I will stay on fw 1.32 to prevent issues.

Edit: I am getting much better sound now that I know Radsone was using way too much processing headroom, I am using fw 1.32 and compensating for the large processing headroom, sound quality is improved dramatically as I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #2,739 of 6,675
Can I ask how you got the update to work? I've tried to follow the directions (wish they'd get the ones in the package to match the ones on the website), and it throws errors about the file being a directory.

EDIT: Nevermind. I moved the file out of the folder and lo and behold, it worked. Come on, Radsone — I shouldn't have to use the terminal to install a new firmware.
I’m not sure I understand the necessity of moving a file. Are you navigating directly into the zip file in Windows File Explorer? Radsone instructs us to Extract All, then run the bat file for Win32 or Win64.

I don’t mind the procedure. I suppose there have been enough updates to justify the user writing a keyboard macro to automate y [enter]. (Sorry for the snark, I couldn’t resist.)
I recall the days of installing sound cards in Windows 3.1 and DOS. Anyone remember DMA?

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #2,740 of 6,675
I’m not sure I understand the necessity of moving a file. Are you navigating directly into the zip file in Windows File Explorer? Radsone instructs us to Extract All, then run the bat file for Win32 or Win64.

I don’t mind the procedure. I suppose there have been enough updates to justify the user writing a keyboard macro to automate y [enter]. (Sorry for the snark, I couldn’t resist.)
I recall the days of installing sound cards in Windows 3.1 and DOS. Anyone remember DMA?

Direct Memory Access - yeah I remember that.

For this device, I always open Powershell inside the windows folder and run the fw batch file, just intuitive for me being a Linux geek.

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #2,741 of 6,675
I was unable to get the app to recognise my fw 1.41 revision device just then, the device turned on and worked, but no app control. I tried removing the device from the app list, but it would not connect to the mac address of this device.

I was forced to revert to 1.32 to get it working again.

I'm happy on 1.32 and I'm not impressed with the bad coding on this device for this new firmware, it seems Radsone may need to refactor the code and think about design issues before this will be resolved.

The pre-amp settings don't make sense to me, they prevent the user from being able to have the EQ maintain the dynamic range by forcing a volume decrease that is also buggy with the pre-sets.

I guess if everyone likes the new arrangement, then I'll manage, but unless I can have the pre-sets function automatically with a pre-amp setting of my choice, I will stay on fw 1.32 to prevent issues.

Edit: I am getting much better sound now that I know Radsone was using way too much processing headroom, I am using fw 1.32 and compensating for the large processing headroom, sound quality is improved dramatically as I mentioned earlier.
If you had to explain that pre-amp processing headroom issue to a dumb noob (asking for a friend), and mostly what steps should be taken to alleviate it, what would that read like? :nerd:

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #2,742 of 6,675
If you had to explain that pre-amp processing headroom issue to a dumb noob (asking for a friend), and mostly what steps should be taken to alleviate it, what would that read like? :nerd:

Yeah sorry, I came across as little arrogant there, I just really love this device and I'm a bit frustrated that I have been listening to it, posting about it and surprised now to find my EQ settings were out the whole time.

At the very start of this whole thread, @wslee talked about the need to set the source volume to maximum for best sound results. I agree, but I assumed this meant this would be maintained throughout the chain before the final analog volume stage.

I didn't realise there was quite a lot of headroom on the ES100 side when applying EQ, I just did what I normally do, which is get as close as possible to 0 db without clipping.

My procedure for setting EQ just below 0dB is to set the different EQ bands the way I like, some higher than others, paying attention to the frequency with the highest boost value, taking that value and setting the pre-amp to subtract that much and a tiny bit more (0.1dB) away from the whole signal.

For example, if the EQ has a bass boost of 4.3 dB and this is the highest boost for all EQ frequencies, then I set the pre-amp for this whole EQ to be -4.4 dB

According to the math, this will ensure no clipping. I've done this many times before with wav files in the past and it's consistent - if I don't leave that tiny bit of processing headroom (0.1dB), then the math can round the wrong way and clip a few samples.

That should be the end of it, but Radsone are using either -6dB or -12dB for processing headroom as well, which is actually reducing the sound quality substantially when applying to a real analog amp stage at the end. The amp will respond best to a normalised signal.

This is why I proposed the Auto Gain Protector in the first place - I thought we were all on the same page about setting the volume to very close to 0dB all the way through the chain until applying analog volume at the end.

Sorry to be a nerd about it.

Edit: It depends on the Q value of the bands too, but it is a standard to do things this way with a default graphic EQ.

I'm pretty sure it's a digital volume control at the end, not an analog one, which means the sound quality change suggests the math is rounding badly throughout the whole process, not good.

On fw 1.32, I am using a source volume of 13 out of 15 and an EQ that doesn't go above +12dB when I sum the highest boosted band and the pre-amp and I'm getting no clipping on my loudest recordings. Use only sharp roll-off and higher than 1x oversampling and don't use the crossfeed at all.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #2,743 of 6,675

Thanks for the helpful/not helpful comment, but I'm on a Mac so none of that applies. I have to use the terminal. But I'm glad you could take the time to write a snarky comment. :ok_hand:

Maybe you can write another macro to....oh, never mind.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #2,744 of 6,675
Hopefully this will sove the pre-eq bugs :

Latest Version 1.4.2 (Sep. 17, 2018) - it works with App v1.8.0 or over

v1.4.2.zip Download

- EQ preamp bugfix in v1.4.1

- aptX HD stuttering bugfix in v1.4.0

- Fixed occasional multi-point pairing failure issue
- Optional 2nd device reconnection
- Added USB DAC 44.1KHz support
- Added USB DAC 24-bit support (macOS only)
- Added max. volume limit option
- Added EQ headroom option
- HFP option (for old Android devices)
- Minor bug fix on voice call volume control
- Better antenna sharing with Wi-Fi

Sep 17, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #2,745 of 6,675
The bug fix was to make the pre-amp slider represent the selected forced reduction.

I must still continue to compensate for this pointless forced reduction in pre-amp functionality.

This is a great product, but the cross feed implementation should have been the wake-up call, it doesn't work well at all.

I'm going to quit while I'm ahead. I don't think they are willing to program any automatic gain protection or accurately represent 0 dB as 0 dB.

Thank you so much Radsone for the great little Bluetooth wonder! I'm off now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back