Radsone EarStudio ES100
Sep 14, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #2,716 of 6,675
Looking forward to v1.8.0 in iOS. the V1.4.1 firmware is working for me (16/44.1 in Windows 7). The iOS 1.7.5 app works ok with the new firmware, though the analog volume slider didn't initially match the actual level until I tweaked it. Some settings were reset (DCT off, oversampling off, buffer length = 0, EQ off). Perhaps 1.8.0 might have initialized differently, but it's not a big deal to me.

At some point, I'd like to see more than 4 custom EQ presets. I don't have any use for any of the pre-built ones (except FLAT), but I do have more than 4 headphones that I'd like to use with this device. Also, it would be nice if the Output Level Estimation could be linked to the active custom EQ setting (have impedance/sensitivity settings for each).

[edit] Another possibility: have an option to link a couple of the custom EQ presets to the bal/unbal configurations, respectively. I have two earphones that I currently am alternating here that are of those two persuasions.

I agree with most of SubMash's recommendations. #7 would be a great feature, if executed well - does the ES100 have sufficient hardware resource to add this?. There's a function like that in the 3rd-party Equalizer iOS app, and I used it there (before I got the ES100). It's helpful with mixed-album playlists, for sure. EQ preamp levels are quite disparate between my FiiO FH5 and Sennheiser HD 650, but I have a couple of tracks that cost me a few dB of the gain needed to volume-match the two.
Can I ask how you got the update to work? I've tried to follow the directions (wish they'd get the ones in the package to match the ones on the website), and it throws errors about the file being a directory.

EDIT: Nevermind. I moved the file out of the folder and lo and behold, it worked. Come on, Radsone — I shouldn't have to use the terminal to install a new firmware.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #2,717 of 6,675
Yeah that's messed up. If I couldn't use Poweramp with ES100 I'd never buy it. Hopefully you fix it. Let us know.

Damn. Are you a mind reader? I use PAMP. So, i think the issue was i had the source volume max. I wanted to see if the source volume high gives better sound quality was BS or not. I had my BT volume maxed on my s8+ and it made bassy passages very distorted. Lowered it a bit and we good.

Sep 15, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #2,718 of 6,675
Damn. Are you a mind reader? I use PAMP. So, i think the issue was i had the source volume max. I wanted to see if the source volume high gives better sound quality was BS or not. I had my BT volume maxed on my s8+ and it made bassy passages very distorted. Lowered it a bit and we good.

I've read your mind, and you already know the answer. lol

What's PAMP?

The distortion could be from your headphones too. Like I tried the Senn HD 598 SE once and at the higher volumes there was some barely audible distortion, until I lowered the volume, then it went away.

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #2,719 of 6,675
I've been under the assumption that the EQ section had no hidden pre-amp, now since the new firmware, I know there is -6dB pre-pre-amp applied as well as your own EQ pre-amp, I have adjusted accordingly, you simply need to make sure any given EQ frequency band plus the current EQ pre-amp value doesn't go above +6dB and it won't clip - knowing there is pre-pre-amp of -6dB.

This is a revelation for sound quality - as @wslee said a long time ago, always best to normalise the digital volume as best you can and then use the analog volume. He said it in the context of Bluetooth compression, but it also applies to DAC output prior to AMP input as well.

Even more argument to drop all these options and use an Auto Gain Protection instead.

Now, I can hear more clarity with the Symphonio Dragon 2+, a little more extension in both directions - better sparkle and even a hint of sub-bass at times.

Also, thanks for the 44.1 KHz option for USB DAC.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #2,722 of 6,675
I still use my 4 year old note 4 as my everyday phone because I love the screen size and amoled screen but I use a used lg g6 as my music transport via Ldac to the ES100 and I couldn't be happier with such a cheap versatile budget audiophile portable set up. See if you can pick up a used phone that is upgradable to android Oreo for Ldac support and you'll be all set.
Have you tried to use your Note 4, with ES100? I use a Note 4 to (can't beat battery swapping and the pen) and I bought a Bluewave GET before knowing about the ES100. Unfortunately, there have been a lot of problems with the range, and I don't want to buy another unit that won't work properly with the Note4...

Sep 15, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #2,724 of 6,675
I've been under the assumption that the EQ section had no hidden pre-amp, now since the new firmware, I know there is -6dB pre-pre-amp applied as well as your own EQ pre-amp, I have adjusted accordingly, you simply need to make sure any given EQ frequency band plus the current EQ pre-amp value doesn't go above +6dB and it won't clip - knowing there is pre-pre-amp of -6dB.

This is a revelation for sound quality - as @wslee said a long time ago, always best to normalise the digital volume as best you can and then use the analog volume. He said it in the context of Bluetooth compression, but it also applies to DAC output prior to AMP input as well.

Even more argument to drop all these options and use an Auto Gain Protection instead.

Now, I can hear more clarity with the Symphonio Dragon 2+, a little more extension in both directions - better sparkle and even a hint of sub-bass at times.

Also, thanks for the 44.1 KHz option for USB DAC.

Wait, the ES100 now has TWO pre-amps??

So you're saying DON'T put the source volume at max?

Nice on more clarity with those earphones!

Sep 15, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #2,725 of 6,675
Wait, the ES100 now has TWO pre-amps??

So you're saying DON'T put the source volume at max?

Nice on more clarity with those earphones!

Well, it's just that there are 2 stages, let's say stage 1 is where there is the signal coming from your phone to the Bluetooth output and stage 2 is where the signal is inside the ES100 just prior to the EQ before the final result is sent to the DAC/AMP combo.

Essentially, for best results, both stages need to use the full dynamic range of the signal without any clipping.

Stage 1 benefits from being to maximum source volume *and* normalisation can help too. this puts the signal at 0dB for this stage (lower than maximum volume is a negative volume below 0 dB)

Stage 2 benefits from maintaining the 0 dB prior to the DAC/AMP as well.

So, the EQ in the ES100 defaults to a -6 dB on the signal to help users set their custom EQ without accidentally clipping it by going above the 0 dB point.

It then applies a +6 dB compensation in the analog stage, which won't clip the signal, it adjusts the AMP output in theory (which may actually be another third internal digital volume depending on how the AMP stage works, ignore that, it won't clip either)

What this means is that when setting up your custom EQ, there are 2 pre-amps in a way, the default of -6dB and the one you set alongside your EQ.

The combination of the maximum adjuster for all EQ bands (for example low bass boost might be + 4 dB on the 31.5 Hz band) *and* the default pre-pre-amp value of -6dB and the pre-amp you set next to the whole EQ .... the combination of all 3 must be less then 0 dB for all EQ bands, for example, with a bass boost of +4 dB, you can safely apply a +2 dB pre-amp in the EQ section and not clip ( I would recommend + 1.9 to account for rounding)

Unfortunately, that is all getting a bit complicated, which is why things are getting a bit messy. My favourite player, Neutron has a pre-amp slider alongside the EQ section which you can accidentally clip the signal with, so it also has a switch for an Auto Gain Protector, which will actually force the pre-amp slider down to prevent any clipping if it's going to happen - you get to see it do that too, which makes it very clear what's going on and this allows you to use say a boost on the pre-amp which may be forced down for the rest of that track if it has to to prevent clipping.

Set your phone source volume to maximum or close to if using a Hi-Res codec.

Edit: I'm thinking if you do all this with your custom EQ, don't set the main analog volume slider above 0 dB or it may actually clip - the analog volume is probably a digital one inside the DAC,

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #2,726 of 6,675
There does seem to be something odd with the EQ pre-amp setting, there is a bug that when you apply a pre-set, it recorded the pre-amp setting in the pre-set, but doesn't apply it properly.

If I have a pre-amp boost of 1.9 set for a particular EQ pre-set, then it looks like it applies, but doesn't actually apply it until I mess with pre-amp slider again.

*BUG ALERT*

Edit: It's worse, I recorded a pre-set with no pre-amp setting (0 dB) and it doesn't apply that when I use the pre-set, but it still displays 0 dB!!

This all needs to be cleared up, what it the purpose of the pre-amp? why does it seem to try to protect the user, but any user trying to achieve best results will simply be blocked?

No hidden pre-amp please.... just a simple setting that applies without compensations and let the user either make a mistake or even better, have an Auto-Gain Protection switch and always let the user know the actual pre-amp being used, even if they adjust it and it is auto adjusted for that track, the slider value should always represent the actual pre-amp value.

So, it seems when I press a pre-set, it applies the default pre-amp of -6dB (the default digitial pre-amp setting) without displaying that correctly.

This also means that the value I used as the pre-set pre-amp is being ignored in the audio, but merely displayed.

For now, to avoid confusion, I made a pre-set that uses a pre-amp setting of -6 dB.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #2,727 of 6,675
I suggest if a real Auto Gain Protector can't be programmed, simply use the inverse of the highest value in the EQ bands as the pre-amp protector and show it changing the pre-amp value so the user is not confused - a switch that when on, automatically changes the pre-amp slider as you change the EQ bands or change pre-set.

The pre-amp slider should always show the correct audible pre-amp.

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #2,728 of 6,675
The pre-amp settings Is really buggy, I can't even describe accurately what's going wrong.

Please fix, or hire me and I'll come to South Korea or wherever you are and fix - I just want this thing to stay awesome.

Sep 15, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #2,729 of 6,675
Have you tried to use your Note 4, with ES100? I use a Note 4 to (can't beat battery swapping and the pen) and I bought a Bluewave GET before knowing about the ES100. Unfortunately, there have been a lot of problems with the range, and I don't want to buy another unit that won't work properly with the Note4...

It works fine with my note 4 but it only has apt x vs the Ldac codec I get with the lg g6 and the bluetooth on the note 4 drains the battery twice as fast as the g6 my son gave me. I also prefer to have my music collection on a separate device than my phone. You will still enjoy the best Bluetooth sound you've ever heard with the note 4 and ES100 combo if you pick one up, plus the support and app and eq are superior to the competition that I have seen.

Sep 15, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #2,730 of 6,675
I'll have to resperespectfully disagree with these comparisons of chips. In my experience the chip used is just a very small part of what makes the final sound. I've got a lol of Sabre based dac's that sounds extremely different from each other, much more so than some Sabre based compared to Wolfson or AK based ones.

Yup. Dac implementation has a much bigger affect on sound than the dac itself ime

Users who are viewing this thread

Back