Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jul 3, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #1,501 of 6,675
Im so hyped about the LDAC support!
Been wanting to try LDAC and see how it compares to Aptx-HD an soon i can.
Thank you Radsone!

Btw, wouldn't it be nice to be able to change the name of the saveable EQ presets? Now its PRE-1-4 and i save differens EQ presets for differens headphones. Quite often i forget wich is wich. Even if you only get 3-5 letters if would do much for the user/me :)

It's quite possible LDAC support will simply reach more people than AptX HD, it's good they fight it out, as it is good ES100 adds their support.

I'm going to refer to them as Hi-Res codecs, as they theoretically carry more potential source information than Redbook 16 bit, 44.1 KHz, just as it says on the Earstudio homepage.

So, if anyone disagrees with that, take issue with the Earstudio website directly, so you don't blame me for everything, quote the bits from the site you think are crap, that way I don't have to carry the torch for the math.

Jul 3, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #1,502 of 6,675
While we are there - what's up with aptx LL? That is useful thing for watching movies on something dumb enough that doesn't have picture delay option. You can also make some kind of test in the app that will measure real delay of audio and show how on this equipment set different codec will impact it...

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #1,503 of 6,675
It's quite possible LDAC support will simply reach more people than AptX HD, it's good they fight it out, as it is good ES100 adds their support.

I'm going to refer to them as Hi-Res codecs, as they theoretically carry more potential source information than Redbook 16 bit, 44.1 KHz, just as it says on the Earstudio homepage.

So, if anyone disagrees with that, take issue with the Earstudio website directly, so you don't blame me for everything, quote the bits from the site you think are crap, that way I don't have to carry the torch for the math.

I would also like to regard the new codecs like LDAC/LHDC as Hi-Res codecs, and I have attached the golden Hi-Res label to my ES100 for fun~ :yum:

Theoretically the codecs are still lossy ones but they are really very closed to Hi-Res level, which carry more souce information and offer audience more music details.
However, the tradeoff is stability and range limitation of connections. The connections quality would be highly impacted when using LDAC in complex WIFI environment, or in somewhere crowded with people, especially at audio-quality-first mode. I and my friends tried various devices from different brands including native Sony ones, but more or less, all suffer from similar problems.

So AptX-HD should still play an important role, at least for me, and it is my alternative choice when/where LDAC becomes unstable. I once throught AptX-HD is mandatory and LDAC is only an add-on, and that is one reason I chosed ES100 against AT-PHA55BT in the first place. :o2smile:

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #1,505 of 6,675
Anyone know where I can buy a set of hi-res ears?

Try some decent planar-magnetics, or if you have the dough, the Focal Utopia headphones or better and you'll soon discover why the quality of the source matters.

You already have hi-res ears I suspect.

Jul 3, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #1,506 of 6,675
While we are there - what's up with aptx LL? That is useful thing for watching movies on something dumb enough that doesn't have picture delay option. You can also make some kind of test in the app that will measure real delay of audio and show how on this equipment set different codec will impact it...

Have not heard of it before, but would be good. I watch a lot of videos with BT and headphones. Qualcomms's site mentioned that it is backwards compatible. So perhaps it it easy to implement. Didn't find any info on license though.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #1,508 of 6,675
By far the best purchase I've made for wireless audio. Love the ambient feature and Android app. Looking forward to LDAC support.
All the cables I have from you sound great with it too haha

Jul 3, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #1,510 of 6,675
I think who’s the first dose not matter. Apple’s big successful iPod was not the first mp3 player. Bought my es100 last year through a Kickstarter campaign and quite satisfied with the sound quality, it’s kind of beyond expectation. Not yet tried Fiio receivers, but hope sometime.

One more thing. Specifications do not guarantee SQ. There are so many other factors including pcba, clocks, power scheme, cables, drivers. Ears are the final criteria. Ears are truly wonderful parts.

Edit. : It’s a trivia, but to make things clear. Looking back, there was only one aptx hd receiver, Astell&Kern XB10 in the market when considering earstudio June 2017. No btr1 that time.

Jul 3, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #1,511 of 6,675
Edit. : It’s a trivia, but to make things clear. Looking back, there was only one aptx hd receiver, Astell&Kern XB10 in the market when considering earstudio June 2017. No btr1 that time.

I concur on that... Now we have generic transmitters and receivers everywhere, mainly because it's Bluetooth 5.0 !!! Now I can play all my "MP5"s on it!

Jul 4, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #1,513 of 6,675
yeah.. transition to high quality bluetooth products. btw. what do you mean “MP5”?

Back when I lived in China 10 years ago, I'd go through the huge technology markets looking through the latest tech and haggling prices with the booth sized businesses that sold the latest thing.

They had advertised MP5 players, I kid you not, they thought the 4 in MP4 was a revision number, you know, because MP3.

Now there is the marketing spin and hype, luckily the actual underlying technologies has nothing to do with any of the labeling - most of them knew this too, they just assessed each person on their merits and started with the best BS to sell something until you proved you knew something.

Jul 4, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #1,514 of 6,675

Depending on how do you see it~
June 2017 is the first campaign time of ES100, and as you know, it would take months for the products to really be in the market if/after the campaign is success, so the first batch of ES100 should be around Sep. 2017 (or maybe later) according to Kickstarter?
I did not buy btr1 but in my impression, I saw this product in the market around July 2017. Correct me if I am wrong by my bad memory~

Jul 4, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #1,515 of 6,675
Back when I lived in China 10 years ago, I'd go through the huge technology markets looking through the latest tech and haggling prices with the booth sized businesses that sold the latest thing.

They had advertised MP5 players, I kid you not, they thought the 4 in MP4 was a revision number, you know, because MP3.

Now there is the marketing spin and hype, luckily the actual underlying technologies has nothing to do with any of the labeling - most of them knew this too, they just assessed each person on their merits and started with the best BS to sell something until you proved you knew something.

I also remembered the joke of "MP5", and it was even captured by newspapers at that time~ lol
It was blowout time of electronic market in China ten years ago. Every businessman would like to take a share of the spoils. The market was in chaos but at the sametime there were many bussiness opportunities.
Ebb tide and see the real gold, many great companies just started since that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back