Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jan 10, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #63 of 6,675
That looks like it's only able to act as a bluetooth receiver though, not a transmitter.

Yes, sorry, you're right - it's what I was looking for though because I am looking for way to preserve digital integrity via bluetooth into a DAC of my choice. I don't trust the ADC component of cheap transmitters and so I'm looking for just a receiver to digital out. I would need a digital in via either usb or spdif on a transmitter box.

Honestly though, for home use and to preserve digital integrity, I'm just going to use a chromecast and split the audio out from the HDMI to SPDIF.
You could use a chromecast audio with its digital out for a good lossless home wi-fi-hi-fi.

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #65 of 6,675
Are there any updates on when these might be available to purchase?

Update: I found a post on radsone's Facebook from Jan 3rd that says they "are preparing for online retail sales now".

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #66 of 6,675
I've been trying to get in touch with Radsone via email about purchasing one and having it shipped to the UK, but so far only had one reply which didn't really say anything.
I've ordered an Audio Technika PHA55BT Headphone Amplifier as it also supports LDAC.
I am very keen to hear from one of the Radsone Earstudio owners if I should cancel the AT-PHA55BT or try and get a Radsone Earstudio ES100.
I've been told sales should start on Amazon soon, but still don't know if I can actually get one in the UK, so any input from Radsone (as I know they're active on this thread) would be awesome, either via PM or in the thread about whether it is possible to acquire one in the UK.
I do prefer LDAC, but appreciate the extra functionality an app like the radsone app and upgradable firmware offer.
Any feedback guys :)
An old hifi-er but new head-fi er :D

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #67 of 6,675
I've been trying to get in touch with Radsone via email about purchasing one and having it shipped to the UK, but so far only had one reply which didn't really say anything.
I've ordered an Audio Technika PHA55BT Headphone Amplifier as it also supports LDAC.
I am very keen to hear from one of the Radsone Earstudio owners if I should cancel the AT-PHA55BT or try and get a Radsone Earstudio ES100.
I've been told sales should start on Amazon soon, but still don't know if I can actually get one in the UK, so any input from Radsone (as I know they're active on this thread) would be awesome, either via PM or in the thread about whether it is possible to acquire one in the UK.
I do prefer LDAC, but appreciate the extra functionality an app like the radsone app and upgradable firmware offer.
Any feedback guys :)
An old hifi-er but new head-fi er :D

My 2 cents..

The PHA55BT is probably pretty good. I like the 50mW output (at 32ohm I presume). Wonder what the ES100's output is?

But the ES100's 14 hours of playback betters the PHA55BT's 7 hour play time. Also, the ES100 supports APTX HD (which you're not interested in), and has a balanced output, for a cheaper price.

I'm interested in what others have to say as well. Ultimately, which one functions better and sounds better?

Jan 15, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #68 of 6,675
My 2 cents..

The PHA55BT is probably pretty good. I like the 50mW output (at 32ohm I presume). Wonder what the ES100's output is?

But the ES100's 14 hours of playback betters the PHA55BT's 7 hour play time. Also, the ES100 supports APTX HD (which you're not interested in), and has a balanced output, for a cheaper price.

I'm interested in what others have to say as well. Ultimately, which one functions better and sounds better?

According to AK4375a specification,
25mW @ 32ohm, at THD+N = 0.1%
40mW @ 16ohm, at THD+N = 0.1%

ES100 has two AK4375a and provides the doubled power than what single AK4375a can do.

According to the web page below,
https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/smt/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2967
PHA55BT output power seems to be:
25mW (32Ω, THD 10%)
50mW (16Ω, THD 10%)

I have not yet tried any measurement or evaluation on PHA55BT,
but considering what I can get through the web pages,
I guess both ES100 and PHA55BT provide substantial enough power for 16 and 32-ohm unit.

However, I would say ES100 provides the better linearity at the same output level.
The amount of current flow is very important when driving a low impedance unit.
The lack of current would result in poor linearity.

FYI.
Here's the performance evaluation report on ES100 vs. AK70 and XB10 for 16-ohm unit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/daju63tt1816xw1/EarStudio_Perofrmance_Evaluation.pdf?dl=0

Thanks,
WS

Jan 16, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #70 of 6,675
According to AK4375a specification,
25mW @ 32ohm, at THD+N = 0.1%
40mW @ 16ohm, at THD+N = 0.1%

ES100 has two AK4375a and provides the doubled power than what single AK4375a can do.

According to the web page below,
https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/smt/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2967
PHA55BT output power seems to be:
25mW (32Ω, THD 10%)
50mW (16Ω, THD 10%)

I have not yet tried any measurement or evaluation on PHA55BT,
but considering what I can get through the web pages,
I guess both ES100 and PHA55BT provide substantial enough power for 16 and 32-ohm unit.

However, I would say ES100 provides the better linearity at the same output level.
The amount of current flow is very important when driving a low impedance unit.
The lack of current would result in poor linearity.

FYI.
Here's the performance evaluation report on ES100 vs. AK70 and XB10 for 16-ohm unit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/daju63tt1816xw1/EarStudio_Perofrmance_Evaluation.pdf?dl=0

Thanks,
WS

I found your comparison very insightful, thank you for that.
I sent you a PM, when you have a chance, could you please have a look at it?

Many thanks and great to have so many honest people in here, should have come here years ago :)

Jan 23, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #74 of 6,675
Anything new? It got a bit quiet here.
Unless the product is released to the general public, there isn't too much to talk about I guess. I have a question though: what is the output power? I read on one early review that it's 25mW into 32ohm, which appears to be very low indeed. Then, in a later review on Majorhifi http://majorhifi.com/radsone-earstudio-24-bit-hi-res-bluetooth-receiver-review/ the reviewer claims to have tested it with Beyer's DT1770 (250ohm) and the results were, in his words, quite good. If the Earstudio puts out 25mw into 32ohm, how can it drive 250ohm cans and still sound "quite good"? So, I'm confused as to the actual output of this product. The web page does not indicate the power output in the specs.

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #75 of 6,675
Unless the product is released to the general public, there isn't too much to talk about I guess. I have a question though: what is the output power? I read on one early review that it's 25mW into 32ohm, which appears to be very low indeed. Then, in a later review on Majorhifi http://majorhifi.com/radsone-earstudio-24-bit-hi-res-bluetooth-receiver-review/ the reviewer claims to have tested it with Beyer's DT1770 (250ohm) and the results were, in his words, quite good. If the Earstudio puts out 25mw into 32ohm, how can it drive 250ohm cans and still sound "quite good"? So, I'm confused as to the actual output of this product. The web page does not indicate the power output in the specs.

From radsone: “For 3.5mm single-ended output, the DualDrive technology reduces the output impedance by half and gives twice much current than one single AK4375a can deliver. For 2.5mm full- differential output, the voltage is increased by twice“

From akm: “Output Power: 25mW @ 32ohm, 40mW @ 16ohm”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back