Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jun 20, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #1,426 of 6,675
Thank you kindly! Looking at my previous post, it sounds like I am much older than I really am. lol!! I got into music and audio at a young age(memories of mending 8tracks for the family stereo!) and purchased my marantz(2220b $20) around age 16.

On a lark, I decided to plug my t50's straight into the passport. Before the ES I would use it as a source, then into either the marantz or technics(sa-8000x quad:dual hp jacks!). The pp headphone out needs max volume but sounds alright. Nothing offensive, just a bit lean. It was an odd experience. I hadn't heard that particular sound in a while. Memories/feelings came to the forefront. It's really something and suprising, sound sigs can trigger that.

Plugged into the 3.5mm ES there is more than enough volume and low end definition. Highs are clear and open. Just simply great. The ES alone doesnt grip my t50's and fling them around like my bigger amps, but being the size of a 9volt, I have little reason to complain. With the warm weather and perhaps laziness, I've neglected using the vintage behemoths. I may just be getting less picky in my old age :wink:

Good questions. I use the ES100 similarly, and I have also been wondering how the battery longevity will be affected.

Wow! I applaud your convictions. I read over that BB Passport review (I was a BB user), Seems like a good sounding gizmo! But it can't handle the T50RP's? Throw it away lol! (j/k j/k)
Actually, that review makes me want to dig out my Colorfly C3... it's been a while and I miss it!

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #1,427 of 6,675
@wslee
Is it possible to have in the app a button for a line out option?

I have seen in a previous post your comment and my understanding is that we should be careful with the device we always pair. However, I have seen in other devices this option implemented and I find it useful both in my main system and with using a little tube portable amp.

Thanks again for your super great work.

@rafaelo:

Using ES100 as a preamplifier, connecting ES100 output to a power amplifier input, would just work fine as intended without any further option,
as long as you keep the one rule.

Unbalance to Unbalance / Balance to Balance

Please just give it a try and let me know if any further concern.

Thanks!
WS

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #1,428 of 6,675
I got ES100 about a month ago. This is one impressive bluetooth amp. APTX HD sounds really good considering its bluetooth. I'm very impressed. Good job WSLee!

Today for fun, I attached ES100 3.5 mm with ALO Rx iem amp as preamp for both EE Phantom & JBL 305 speakers. It's a match made in heaven!

With Phantom and ALO, soundstage becomes really huge, vocals especially female is very sweet, guitar & violin is seductive.

With JBL 305 & ALO, it becomes very musical and enjoyable. Please try adding amp into the chain if you guys have any and see what the result is. I think I am in awe of this small device.

For reference, I am using Sony WM1Z modded. Very very impressed!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #1,429 of 6,675
I got ES100 about a month ago. This is one impressive bluetooth amp. APTX HD sounds really good considering its bluetooth. I'm very impressed. Good job WSLee!

Today for fun, I attached ES100 3.5 mm with ALO Rx iem amp as preamp for both EE Phantom & JBL 305 speakers. It's a match made in heaven!

With Phantom and ALO, soundstage becomes really huge, vocals especially female is very sweet, guitar & violin is seductive.

With JBL 305 & ALO, it becomes very musical and enjoyable. Please try adding amp into the chain if you guys have any and see what the result is. I think I am in awe of this small device.

For reference, I am using Sony WM1Z modded. Very very impressed!
Do you use full volume in both volume controls at Es100 when you are using this set up? Thank you.

Jun 22, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #1,430 of 6,675
Before I try using an amp with the es100 I used directly in unbalanced 2x mode my newly arrived 6XX and I was unexpectedly positively surprised in this combination. I was listening in disbelief as it seemed really surreal to me to get such musicality from es100 and from BT alone. From memory, iPad pro 12.9 was completely unable to drive musically adequately the HD650 that I had on loan.

Jun 23, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #1,433 of 6,675
Is it possible to use the ES100 as a standalone mic for my PC? I've been trying to get it to work via USB, but maybe thats not possible.
its not possible and was never intended to be possible. it does many things but its not a swiss army knife

Jun 24, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #1,434 of 6,675
Do you use full volume in both volume controls at Es100 when you are using this set up? Thank you.
No, I know I should but I want to preserve battery usage.
Anyway, ES100 + ALO RX iem amp sounds really good. ES100 by itself has very good clarity, ALO iem amp smoothen any rough edges and seems to extend both bass and treble.
The result is quite magical. I use both with CA Andromeda today. It makes music sounds very exciting, vocals are forward and those huugee soundstage. Oh my goodness! It sounds very holographic, 3-D even. It's not L or V; but W in presentation
It's different from EA Phantom, but equally magical.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #1,435 of 6,675
Anyway, ES100 + ALO RX iem amp sounds really good. ES100 by itself has very good clarity, examplary of Sabre chip; ALO iem amp smoothen any rough edges and seems to extend both bass and treble.
The result is quite magical. I use both with CA Andromeda today. It makes music sounds very exciting, vocals are forward and those huugee soundstage. Oh my goodness! It sounds very holographic, 3-D even. It's not L or V; but W in presentation
Es100 uses ak chip tho

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #1,436 of 6,675
Es100 uses ak chip tho
My bad
I thought it was Sabre at first but you are right it was cirrus I think
I read it earlier but forgot

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #1,437 of 6,675
Anyway, ES100 + ALO RX iem amp sounds really good. ES100 by itself has very good clarity, ALO iem amp smoothen any rough edges and seems to extend both bass and treble.
Thanks for your reply. I am not sure you need both to be full volume. My understanding is that the source (digital) volume should be at max but the analogue should be maybe less for safety reasons.
From other devices I read the line out mode is 2.1v and I am assuming from the manual the full analogue volume for es100 is 3.2v and I am just worried if this is safe as incoming signal to my other devices.

But again I am not 100% about this and this is why I am asking. I am talking as a customer who read some things here and there and I do not want to do something silly, I have not a clear understanding. So, I will use full source volume and analogue volume around the middle and see how it goes. (Unbalanced connection of course).

I am very happy that this is not a sabre chip, I wanted something different. I will try to use a usb connection with my Usbridge in order to see the real potential of this chip.

Jun 24, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #1,438 of 6,675
I am very happy that this is not a sabre chip, I wanted something different. I will try to use a usb connection with my Usbridge in order to see the real potential of this chip.

In my experience the same chip can sound very different in different implementations. I've got a quite large number of devices (15-20) using Sabre chips and the difference in sound between some of them are definitely as large as that between devices using different chips. The implementation is at least as important as the chip in usage imo.

That being said it's always nice to try different things :)

Jun 24, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,439 of 6,675
In my experience the same chip can sound very different in different implementations. I've got a quite large number of devices (15-20) using Sabre chips and the difference in sound between some of them are definitely as large as that between devices using different chips. The implementation is at least as important as the chip in usage imo.

That being said it's always nice to try different things :)
I agree completely and using clean power supply and signal reclocking tricks are essential to me. However, this device has such a smal enclosure you do not have enough space to do many things, it is a small miracle that it sounds so good like that.

And also I have nothing against sabre chips is just that I have some where I had none from AK which I have heard good things in the past. It influenced my desicion to buy this device.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #1,440 of 6,675
I agree completely and using clean power supply and signal reclocking tricks are essential to me. However, this device has such a smal enclosure you do not have enough space to do many things, it is a small miracle that it sounds so good like that.

And also I have nothing against sabre chips is just that I have some where I had none from AK which I have heard good things in the past. It influenced my desicion to buy this device.
I've got a few different sabre devices and I agree about them varying, but they do have a similar signature, especially with the lack of harshness. I only have 1 that sounds washed out, it's sort of like an envelope over the whole range, like a bad amp section, probably a bad amp section.

This is my first ak device and I'm impressed with how relaxed it is compared to the sabres, just not as precise. It reminds me a little of the old total bithead portable dac/amp, but better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back