Radsone EarStudio ES100
Apr 22, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #887 of 6,675
On High Impedance headphones like HD650 it could be really great to show real-time per band volume as bars with last highest position behind each EQ slider and red clipping indicator above each band.
Because volume is not enough. So I have to bump it up + EQ. And chances that it is clipping, but a content is not 0dB aligned, so I don't know how bad it is.

I think there is a bug - I don't hear ANY maximum volume difference between 1x Voltage mode and 2x Voltage mode. I'm on the latest F/W and app.
So SE846 requires significant volume down and due to the mute/unmute volume jump bug it's just unhealthy loud suddenly.

Also, I believe it's a typo in the app that voltage is 6.4V at +2 dB with 2x voltage and 3.2V at -3dB with 1x voltage.
I guess it should be 6.4V at -4 dB (6 dB down from +2 dB due to diff mode) with 2x Voltage and 3.2V at +6dB (isn't it just voltage limiter, then why it's not 1/2 max at max analog voltage) with 1x Voltage mode.

Another bug is forcing absence of APTX on Avantree Priva III is ignored completely - it goes to APTX anyway...

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #892 of 6,675
Your phone is most probably supports AAC which sounds better than APTX.
Ah?... I would say the exact opposite as well as many reviewers... Aptx supporting up to 350 kb/s (up to 24b, 576kps with aptx HD) while ACC is 256 kb/s. So you can stream ACC files without compression or resampling... But as far I'm concerned, I don't use mp3/AAC files, so Aptx HD still the way to go.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #893 of 6,675
Higher Bitrate doesn't mean better sound.
And if you source is AAC then trancsode (which is always done for BT) from AAC to AAC is less lossy than from AAC to APTX - even if bitrate from dest. AAC is much lower than the APTX one.
But also on other Source Codecs like FLAC or ALAC and other lossless codecs AAC is better.

Also did blind tests and AAC was always better than APTX
Maybe APTX HD is better than both - but haven't really tried it.

The only downside of AAC for BT is that it's much more demanding to the device. - Meaning battery drains faster.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #894 of 6,675
Ah?... I would say the exact opposite as well as many reviewers... Aptx supporting up to 350 kb/s (up to 24b, 576kps with aptx HD) while ACC is 256 kb/s. So you can stream ACC files without compression or resampling... But as far I'm concerned, I don't use mp3/AAC files, so Aptx HD still the way to go.
I'm confident that on blind tests most will say that aptx is brighter and dirtier sounding codec. As for the technical quality - it's significantly worse. AAC is much more fine grained 20 years old psychoacoustic codec improved over mp3 while aptx is 45 years old ADPCM and nothing more. APTX immediately brings high frequency noise that some people like since it works as a very rough few dB EQ for free. AAC achieves ITU transparency at 128kbit.

It was promoted for low power devices with weakest possible MCU. It is also absolutely same thing as very first classical SBC with just higher bitrate. And guess what, aptx hd is also exactly same thing with even higher bitrate. It has 2x lower noise, but it's still there and you can clearly hear it. But there are a lot of marketing money behind APTX.

Unfortunately, I don't think that AAC without reencoding happens anywhere. But this is not even remotely as bad as a single time aptx encoding.

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #895 of 6,675
Hello, I am wondering if any of you in this thread have experience with both Radsone Earstudio and Bluewave Get. I have the Get right now, and I am about to send it back for the second time... the first time, there was a problem with the BT range, and this one have developed a sticky button, after a mere 2 months. Needles to say, I am not going back to the Get. I will switch to the Earstudio instead.
However, I spent some time in front of my computer the other day and used the headphone amp that I have there. And going from the Get, to it, made me think that I prefer the sound that the Get provides. I am using a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900, and I have read a lot or reviews where people state that they think that the Pro 900 have a very shrill metallic treble. And I never realized that they where right, until i switched back to the computer amp's more neutral sound.

Could any one tell me what to expect from the Earstudio, compared to the Get (when it comes to sound characteristics)?

Ultrasone Pro 900, has a V shaped frequency response (see picture):
5470ea49808fdf508e8c494f5e441fa1.png

[Source: http://en.goldenears.net/3508]

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #899 of 6,675
Ok, so I might have to tweak the EQ or do some mod, to get the same type of sound then.
The app has a very decent EQ with presets and 4 custom saved levels.

I was really looking at the Get before the ES100 but for a variety of reasons I chose to take a chance on the ES100 and have been more than satisfied. A big part of the reason I went with the ES100 was the support that WSLee has provided here on the forums. I mean I asked about the battery level indicator on the iPhone and it was addressed in a FW update a few days later lol.

Also, I liked the battery life on the ES100 as well as the option for a balanced output.

Apr 23, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #900 of 6,675
The app has a very decent EQ with presets and 4 custom saved levels.

I was really looking at the Get before the ES100 but for a variety of reasons I chose to take a chance on the ES100 and have been more than satisfied. A big part of the reason I went with the ES100 was the support that WSLee has provided here on the forums. I mean I asked about the battery level indicator on the iPhone and it was addressed in a FW update a few days later lol.

Also, I liked the battery life on the ES100 as well as the option for a balanced output.

@Cane, Coconut speaks the truth. You won't be disappointed with the ES100 (or with Radsone's support).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back