Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jan 2, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #3,646 of 6,675
Has anyone seen the download link to the new FW 2.0.2? It's supposed to be released but maybe I'm too eager :)

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #3,647 of 6,675
I have been looking for an Android widget that is able to set streaming codec and all that from the dev options but no luck so far. Very tired of accessing dev options multiple times a day with my Pixel 2.
You should go to the phone Bluetooth settings, not the Developer Options. See my earlier post here.

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #3,648 of 6,675
You should go to the phone Bluetooth settings, not the Developer Options. See my earlier post here.
Stock Android 9.0 does not have that option. All Android phones are not alike. For example your Samsung is way off the stock Android UI.

On stock/standard Android you can set HD audio on/off in the BT menu but that turns off both LDAC and Apt-HD so it switches to SBC :D...

Screenshot_20190102-091417.png

This is Google Pixel 2

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #3,649 of 6,675
Stock Android 9.0 does not have that option. All Android phones are not alike. For example your Samsung is way off the stock Android UI.

On stock/standard Android you can set HD audio on/off in the BT menu but that turns off both LDAC and Apt-HD so it switches to SBC :D...

This is Google Pixel 2
Which codec does it use when you have HD audio turned on? Check this in the EarStudio app, not Developer Options.

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #3,650 of 6,675
Which codec does it use when you have HD audio turned on? Check this in the EarStudio app, not Developer Options.
LDAC with adaptive bitrate

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #3,652 of 6,675
It should stay in that setting across multiple Bluetooth connections. Is it resetting to something else? Did you want to choose a different codec?
It does but I want 990kbps if I'm using LDAC which means accessing dev settings. I do prefer Aptx-hd since it's more true to the recording according to my ears. Due to this I have to access dev settings and enable Aptx-hd instead of LDAC

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #3,653 of 6,675
If I'm not wrong, the codec picked is best one by default if both player and receiver support it, so if player supports LDAC, this will be used.

On the other hand, bitrate (set as adaptive by default) and maybe bit depth (if you change it from 32bit to 24bit to match ES100 by some reason) are the values to fix between seasons.

This means that if the connection is strong enough, adaptive should play highest quality by default and no change in developer options is needed.

I use it by default, fixing bitrate only if I'm moving around and the phone is static and it works pretty well.

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #3,654 of 6,675
FW 2.0.2 is now available via https://www.radsone.com/earstudio

Changelog:
Version 2.0.2 (Jan. 2, 2019)

v2.0.2
- Changed the press time of power on button to 2 seconds
- Fixed occasional 3.5mm jack detection error

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #3,655 of 6,675
I do prefer Aptx-hd since it's more true to the recording according to my ears. Due to this I have to access dev settings and enable Aptx-hd instead of LDAC
@wslee of Radsone said that under the LDAC license agreement with Sony, the ES100 must connect on LDAC whenever it is available on the source (that's why in the EarStudio app you cannot uncheck LDAC codec). However, Android only has one setting "HD audio" that enables/disables both LDAC and aptX HD at the same time. Android doesn't have separate settings for LDAC and aptX HD. When both are enabled, ES100 must choose LDAC because of Sony license agreement. Therefore it isn't possible to make it default to aptX HD. You can force it in Developer Options but only for the current session — Developer Options were only designed for developer testing.

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #3,656 of 6,675
@wslee of Radsone said that under the LDAC license agreement with Sony, the ES100 must connect on LDAC whenever it is available on the source (that's why in the EarStudio app you cannot uncheck LDAC codec). However, Android only has one setting "HD audio" that enables/disables both LDAC and aptX HD at the same time. Android doesn't have separate settings for LDAC and aptX HD. When both are enabled, ES100 must choose LDAC because of Sony license agreement. Therefore it isn't possible to make it default to aptX HD. You can force it in Developer Options but only for the current session — Developer Options were only designed for developer testing.
Yes, and back to my original post about this; thats why i would want a widget that can set these settings for me :wink:

I'm thinking maybe i can ask Radsone to release a FW without LDAC to get around this problem.
As i stated a few pages back, LDAC does something to the sound. It adds room. Sure it sounds nice but not correct according to my ears and tests.

Jan 2, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #3,657 of 6,675
Oops I'm a little late...just noticed that Smorgar just anounced it earlier.

A new ES100 firmware v2.0.2 (Jan 2, 2019) has been released. I've just updated my ES100 with v2.0.2 firmware along with the new v1.9.0 update for EarStudio mobile app. Didn't notice any changes except the 2 seconds power button startup time. Have anyone here updated to the latest version yet?

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #3,658 of 6,675
Oops I'm a little late...just noticed that Smorgar just anounced it earlier.

A new ES100 firmware v2.0.2 (Jan 2, 2019) has been released. I've just updated my ES100 with v2.0.2 firmware along with the new v1.9.0 update for EarStudio mobile app. Didn't notice any changes except the 2 seconds power button startup time. Have anyone here updated to the latest version yet?

I updated too, no problems at my end

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #3,659 of 6,675
I'm testing the new FW + app right now and it feels better with 2 second power button.
Other than that i see a few changes in the app. Ofc new EQ and more presets available but also a small change to the over sampling buttons.

Big thanks to Radsone as usual!

Funny side note: I'm looking to get a DAP but i have to pay so much to step up from ES100s sound signature that im thinking there is no point in spending the big bucks for a DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back