Radiohead vs. Coldplay
Feb 9, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #31 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be quite honest, though I've heard this Coldplay/Radiohead thing before, Coldplay's music is more accessible, it sounds beautiful on a more fundamental, appreciable level...and why they are so successful.

Listening to Radiohead the sound is less polished, raw, more original sounding. It sounds more like a rock band.

What about Oasis? Same genre, but are they in between Coldplay and Radiohead?.

The only thing these three bands have in common is that they play rock music and they're from the UK.

Oasis makes raw, working-class rock. 3 chords and gigantic sing-a-long melodies. Cold-play goes for the "dumbed down meaning of life in 5 minutes on every song", which is great, taken in pieces here and there. While Radiohead is something different entirely. If Radiohead had remade the Bends 5 times, perhaps they'd be comparable to Oasis, but You can't listen to OK Computer and compare them to Oasis. Saying that, Oasis is my favorite band of all-time. I have on an Oasis T-Shirt right this second. I have over 250 Oasis songs. But Radiohead just isn't similar to them.

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #33 of 95
To me, these bands are very far apart, and I don't like Coldplay OR Radiohead. I've tried, especially with Radiohead, I've listen to most of their albums multiple time. I have much more respect for Radiohead as a band though, in taking chances, in bringing their vision through to fruition, in creating something unique, in constantly having movement in their style. Coldplay, well, their music seems kind of gutless to me, safe and bland, and they've gotten clearly worse as time has gone on.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #34 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you didn't want any bashing, but have you ever listened to Coldplay's lyrics? They can't write them, so they just put words down to sing something along with their pleasant music. And the music still doesn't compare to Radiohead.

And that's from someone who basically only listens to The Bends.

Agreed. Coldplay's music is rock-ish, their lyrics are easy listening.

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #35 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing these three bands have in common is that they play rock music and they're from the UK.

Oasis makes raw, working-class rock. 3 chords and gigantic sing-a-long melodies. Cold-play goes for the "dumbed down meaning of life in 5 minutes on every song", which is great, taken in pieces here and there. While Radiohead is something different entirely. If Radiohead had remade the Bends 5 times, perhaps they'd be comparable to Oasis, but You can't listen to OK Computer and compare them to Oasis. Saying that, Oasis is my favorite band of all-time. I have on an Oasis T-Shirt right this second. I have over 250 Oasis songs. But Radiohead just isn't similar to them.

Right on. I LOVE Oasis and Radiohead. Most of the time I am in more of an Oasis mood over Radiohead. But, they are both tremendously good bands in my top ten. Easily top ten if not top 5. Toss in Weezer, the Kooks, and the White Stripes and I'm happy!

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #36 of 95
Coldplay takes pride in being a humble and accessable band. And they strive to remain humble. They try to keep their egos in check all the time. Which is why their music has become boring.

To truly evolve as an artist, you have to indulge your ego. Often times this fails miserably, but it can sometimes work. Hence OK Computer. If Coldplay would take that leap of faith, they might make an interesting album. But, they won't and they'll put out another rehash of the same crap. And we will all continue to be disappointed in their music.

Unfortunately it may be too late in their career. They would just alienate their dedicated fanbase. And the rest of us who long ago wrote them off, wouldn't even give it a chance.

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #37 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be quite honest, though I've heard this Coldplay/Radiohead thing before, Coldplay's music is more accessible, it sounds beautiful on a more fundamental, appreciable level...and why they are so successful.

Listening to Radiohead the sound is less polished, raw, more original sounding. It sounds more like a rock band.

What about Oasis? Same genre, but are they in between Coldplay and Radiohead?

edit: Oh, and Spies is an absolute classic. Which ever high bar Radiohead has set, that one Coldplay song is right there.

I would put Oasis on the same level as Radiohead and I would put both of them above Coldplay.

Feb 10, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #38 of 95
First, I want to thank everybody here for not bashing (for the most part). I too have my preferences but tonight I was listening to Coldplay and specifically I was paying attention to Chris Martin's voice. I really love his voice and it reminds me of an alto saxophone, all brassy and slightly dissonant. I am not saying that he breaks the mold in any way whatsoever, but I just like the quality nonetheless.

By the way, I knew that the poll and the responses would follow as they have. I do think that the numbers are interesting though and I just couldn't resist. As much as I dislike the Grammy's, I found it awful that Radiohead was shut out. Their performance with the USC marching band was awesome, easily the best performance of the night. Overall, I would say, the Grammy's is like the emperor who has no clothes.

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #39 of 95
I still enjoy Coldplay's first album quite a bit, the second one had some good songs on it. But XYZ was so dull and I didn't even bother with the Viva La Vida, the single was in my opinion a terrible song.

Radiohead finds a way to refresh themselves but still hold on to something in each album that is very "Radioheadish". Love all their albums, Paranoid Android is still one of my favorite songs ever and the two guitar solo's in that song are just awesome.

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #40 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok computer make my body tingle....down there.

Voted for Radiohead, not a huge fan, though I do respect them as artists & musicians. Actually, I keep OK Computer (ALAC) on My iPod at all times, this moody masterpiece moves my soul, but not quite as much as it does Rednamalas1 LOL.
tongue.gif

Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #45 of 95
Ummm, Coldplay is nice but Radiohead is STUNNING!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back