Radiohead - really digging in.
Dec 13, 2001 at 11:39 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
Any w.a.s.t.e. members among us? Their fan club type thing. Thom Yorke sent out a rather interesting christmas email. A little political as usual, but I think I agree with him. I will post it:
quote:
violence breeds violence

we need a world court

not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware
lecturing us on world security

we need love and understanding and tolerance and good laws that apply to
everyone, upheld by those who are in a position to judge

praying for world peace is not such an embarrassing thing to do anymore
i
think

especially not this christmas.

thank you everybody on w.a.s.t.e. for still listening and sticking with
us
and
understanding the records we make,

i hope your christmas is peaceful and loving and spiritual.
does that sound silly?
don't care.

thom

end-quote

Yes, some of that is pretty silly.

Dec 13, 2001 at 1:28 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Dusty
Did you say OK Computer sucks?...

Not at all. I just meant that it wasn't the completely mind-blowing leap that Kid A was. I still kept it.

Funny story though -- my housemate at the time left me the following note:

"Pete,
Can I borrow your copy of OK Computer? They switched my computer at work, and it was in the CD-ROM drive at the time. I think they thought it was software that went with the computer, since they took all that, too. So now I have the case and no CD..."

I really think someone needs to market some software called "OK Computer".

Dec 14, 2001 at 12:29 AM Post #18 of 27
The Bends is probably my favorite rock album of all time.

I think it strikes a perfect balance between straightforward rock and atmospheric touches. All the poetry analyses we did in AP English have paid off, because at first I thought the lyrics were just nonsense, but now I understand them and I love the lyrics throughout the album.

To me, the album is very balanced in its initial appeal and its long-term listening value. It is not so accessible that it is easy to get sick of it. In fact, I find that I never get sick of, even after listening to it hundreds of times. And, t is much more coherent than their last two albums, so it doesn't take nearly as long to figure it out.

After that, I like Ok Computer, followed by Kid A, and then Amnesiac and Pablo Honey are about equally good. Honestly, I like all their work and I agree with their whole attitude in what they have done. I like the fact they have changed, because trying to rehash the same album just gets boring.

Dec 14, 2001 at 3:28 AM Post #19 of 27
Wow. I am suprised to see The Bends leading this poll. It was the Radiohead album that had impressed me the most. I thought it wasn't really the favourite of most people.

Musiclover4, I fully agree with you.

The Bends... that's definitely their best for me from a musical point of view. Not so sure about sound engineering... I don't think I've listened to it in a long time... gotta try it with the 3ks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Miserably, out of my hmmm.. 700 CDs or so... The Bends is the only CD that is scratched beyond any ECC help. Duh...

Dec 14, 2001 at 3:38 AM Post #20 of 27
It just goes to show the people in this forum have taste.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2001 at 6:38 AM Post #21 of 27
I'm about to re-pop in Amnesiac this evening to report my favorite track on that album. Heck, maybe I'll even pop in the Bends to see what's wrong with all you cats. Heheh. Actually, I also dig the Bends, but OK Computer still takes the cake for now.

Dec 14, 2001 at 7:02 PM Post #22 of 27
I was kind of surprised to see "The Bends' ahead of "OK Computer". "OK Computer is a masterpiece and I find "The Bends" terribly inconsistent; you get some well crafted songs like "Fake Plastic Trees", "High and Dry" and "Bulletproof" interspersed with throwaway noise like "Bones" "Just" and "Bulk". With "Kid A" and "Amnesiac" it's pick and choose for 35 minutes of good tunes.

Dec 14, 2001 at 10:46 PM Post #23 of 27
Someone mentioned the My Iron Lung EP. I love it. Vocals are the best I've heard from Thom. Its instrumentation gives it a vibe that I certainly dig. The last couple of days, I've been going through the OK Computer endurance test. As some of you may know, I got a new dac and I'm test driving it with my harshest sounding discs - like OK.

Current favorite on Amnesiac: Pyramid Song

Dec 15, 2001 at 12:41 PM Post #24 of 27
Is it just me or the EX70 bass or do some of you have trouble picking up the lyrics in some of the tracks in The Bends? OTOH I'm not a native English speaker
tongue.gif

Actually this happens quite often for me, the cymbals and drums and hoots, clangs, bops, whatever
rolleyes.gif
just drown out the vocals. Any idea how to make them stand out more? I'm talking about using EQ
very_evil_smiley.gif

/me butchers The Bends beyond repair
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

edit: don't think my coming HD580s will help either, coz those are laid-back phones too
rolleyes.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 15, 2001 at 1:18 PM Post #25 of 27
Zoboo
Radiohead has amazing amount of EPs out, but as I mentioned previously the Iron Lung & Air Bag EPs are different because they contain 7-8 tracks each of mostly non album material and could easily make another new album when combined which would probably surpass any other CD they have!

Unfortunately they are hard to find and also quite expensive.
Whish they would release CD of collected EP/B side material
similar to Oasis "masterplan".......it would be great!

Dec 15, 2001 at 4:34 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Zoboo
Radiohead has amazing amount of EPs out, but as I mentioned previously the Iron Lung & Air Bag EPs are different because they contain 7-8 tracks each of mostly non album material and could easily make another new album when combined which would probably surpass any other CD they have!

Unfortunately they are hard to find and also quite expensive.
Whish they would release CD of collected EP/B side material
similar to Oasis "masterplan".......it would be great!

Hmm, ive seen those Ep's in Greenwich Village.

George

Dec 15, 2001 at 11:04 PM Post #27 of 27
DarkAngel,

No kidding these EPs are expensive. I have a No Surprises... and the large My Iron Lung EPs. I''ve only found the first one in stores, and it was $50! So I'm stuck with mp3 copies - shame on me. And yes a B-side compilation would be nice.

Good call on Oasis. I've got Definitely Maybe in the player right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back