Radiohead in Rainbows download - how much did you pay?
Oct 11, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 107
$3

How much did you pay?
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 107
Maybe there should be an option for "It was included with my disk box"?

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 107
If I like it, I'll buy the CD. I've never listened to Radiohead before, so I have no idea whether it's worth it.

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 107
Same here. I payed 0 because my mum wouldnt let me use her Visa at that time
biggrin.gif

IF I like it, I will re-purchase and this time pay a small amount, maybe $5.

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here. I payed 0 because my mum wouldnt let me use her Visa at that time
biggrin.gif

IF I like it, I will re-purchase and this time pay a small amount, maybe $5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I like it, I'll buy the CD. I've never listened to Radiohead before, so I have no idea whether it's worth it.

Just remember to listen multiple times; it's been a real grower for me, even more so than any of Radiohead's earlier albums.

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 107
It wasn't the amount, but giving my credit card to a site that I wasn't sure was even affiliated with the band (this was before it was widely reported). So $0 when I ordered, but I'll listen and then play accordingly. Why oh why couldn't they have made it 192 kbps or at least VBR though?

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 107
I paid $10USD, because that's roughly the price of OK Computer on Amazon.com, except here Radiohead will get 100% of that money.

For the first time in history we have some pretty substantial acts that are not attached to major labels, particularly Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails. If you like this type of thing, I highly suggest you support the band by not paying zero, even if it's just $2 to support them on general principle. I don't think it would be too presumptuous to assume that 99.99% of the people who post here can afford $2.

To everyone here who complains about the RIAA, unfair conglomerates, and the artist getting screwed: this is your chance, it's what you've been waiting for, please don't waste it.

Edit: I just realized it might sound like I'm attacking people who want to try before they buy. I think this is fine, as long as you follow through. A lot of people say they like to try before they buy, but they end up "trying" indefinitely...

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #10 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you've never listened to Radiohead before I don't think this is the place to start. I'm not saying don't download and listen to it I'm just saying don't form your opinion about the band based on this album since it's a little..... different. Start with The Bends and work your way forward.

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 107
$5 for me. Roughly half of what I would like to pay for a regular CD. If they had done the release in FLAC or a high bitrate VBR then I would have thrown in a few extra dollars. Fantastic album that I will pay full price for once a CD comes out that isn't attached to a super expensive boxset, which should be early next year hopefully. If they want more of my money, then they'll have to come and get it in form of a concert somewhere within 100 miles of me.
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 107
LeChuck;3346527 said:
To everyone here who complains about the RIAA, unfair conglomerates, and the artist getting screwed: this is your chance, it's what you've been waiting for, please don't waste it.

QUOTE]

LeChuck is exactly right. What RadioHead is doing is they are fighting for the consumer... YOU! They are sticking it to The Man (RIAA [and Metallica
tongue.gif
])
I love my tunes. But, I must admit, I hate paying for music. I have done the illegal download thing. I have got most of my MP3 tunes from good 'ol Russia.
biggrin.gif
With all of that aside, I will happily pay the full price for this album.

I was kind of disapointed when I saw the outcome of the pole so far. I was hoping that consumers would be ontop of what is taking place hear. Don't bite the hand that feeds you guys. Try and pay what you feel it is worth. Not only the music, but the effort, the cause.

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #14 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$5 for me. Roughly half of what I would like to pay for a regular CD. If they had done the release in FLAC or a high bitrate VBR then I would have thrown in a few extra dollars. Fantastic album that I will pay full price for once a CD comes out that isn't attached to a super expensive boxset, which should be early next year hopefully. If they want more of my money, then they'll have to come and get it in form of a concert somewhere within 100 miles of me.
wink.gif

Above is my take. No point in typing it twice =)

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #15 of 107
I'm glad someone started a poll on this!! I wanted ask this exact same question but couldn't figure out how to make the different answers. Do you have to pull them in code brackets or something them? Thanks OP!
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, I put zero. The album was passed around the office on a USB drive. But I definately plan on buying the album when it comes out.

Here is something from pitchforkmedia.com from some blgger that goes on to explain why they released it this way: Radiohead was basically bored!

Quote:

Gothamist: What's motivating the band to distribute the album this way?

Jonny Greenwood: Just getting it out quickly. It was kind of an experiment as well; we were just doing it for ourselves and that was all. People are making a big thing about it being against the industry or trying to change things for people but it's really not what motivated us to do it. It's more about feeling like it was right for us and feeling bored of what we were doing before.

Gothamist: Why give people the option to pay whatever they want?

Greenwood: It's just interesting to make people pause for even a few seconds and think about what music is worth now. I thought it was an interesting thing to ask people to do and compare it to whatever else in their lives they value or don't value.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...-iin-rainbowsi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back