Radiohead in Rainbows download - how much did you pay?
Nov 7, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #106 of 107
I gladly paid $0.

This is how the situation applies to me, personally - I will be the first to admit it likely is not the case for the majority of users.

I am approaching this much the same way I approach other digital content made available online. I consider these files, which I had read about elsewhere prior to downloading, to be equivalent of a demo. By radiohead providing me with the means to download them for free, they are essentially blessing that usage.

I don't feel radiohead is ripping anyone off, or intentionally decieving them. The bitrate was not mentioned, but I am willing to believe it was likely overlooked rather than intentionally omitted. It is good publicity for them, and something big name artists were bound to embrace eventually.

I also do not feel anyone is hurting their future chances at digital distribution by paying nothing - if radiohead had wanted to, they quite easily could have made them available with a minimal price. They were obviously aware that some users would not pay for them. If bandwidth were a large concern, they could have set up a torrent for non-paying users.

By downloading them at all, users are expressing to Radiohead, record labels, the RIAA, etc.. That they are interested in DRM free downloads as a distribution method.

Ultimately, I paid what I feel the files were worth to me, compared with other digitally distributed goods.

They will not be a permanent addition to my collection. They were merely a quality limited demo, to me, personally. I wouldn't expect to pay to play a demo version of a video game, or to use a demo version of software - why should this be treated differently? Just because it is music?

Is lining radioheads pockets over something I wouldn't have paid for otherwise going to make a statement to the RIAA? Will the RIAA be concerned about the number of people paying, or the number of people participating?

For the record, if I was a casual user who was only intending to listen to these on my iPod in mp3 format, I would have paid for them. I would not, however, have paid the cost of a CD - Digital distribution is much cheaper than traditional distribution, and it is widely accepted the artist sees much more of the money - so why should I pay the same?

Nov 9, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #107 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had they ONLY offered it for money, then 160 would have been nasty for those that cared. Because they offered it for free, it can't be considered mistrustful nor conspiratorial.

I absolutely understand this point of view but the fact that there was no 160 indication puts the entire perspective on this matter through a U turn in my mind. Maybe I`m just silly but it to me it seems so wrong not to mention the bitrate of the digital music files UNLESS you are offering them for free and free only, without the optional payment.

I guess it`s up to me and everybody else to conclude whether the omission of the bitrate info was just a matter of overlooking. I wish that was true, really, and hopefully the band will come clear about it soon.

Quote:

I really do think the best solution is to permit those that paid an additional lossless download in the future.

Yes, that would be nice. Those who don`t care would just skip the offer and remain happy with their original download and the minority that does care would be satisfied too. Good idea.

Thanx for your comments and take care everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back