Radio Shack's new $15 Presidian Speakers - Brief Reviews and Thoughts
Jan 15, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Dynamatting the mid/woofer basket. It will do wonders for the mids/lows. Also try some in the enclosure.

Never had any experience with Dynamat, but it looks like interesting stuff. I just put some acoustic filler in the bottom of both, and I'll give a listen tomorrow to see how it does. It's a lot less than was originally in the one, A LOT less, but the lesser amount seemed to bring the mid frequencies out a bit and clean the lower frequencies up a bit, so we'll see how it does. I'll post some photos in a few minutes.

Jan 15, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #33 of 47
Wow.. I never would have guessed this day would have come...
confused.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to Radio shack tomorrow to pick these up....I can fill everybody in with how these sound compared to some Advent small speakers (the infamous Advent "the smaller loudspeaker")...

Did you end up getting these?

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #37 of 47
The highs don't extend up like the K501's but considering what most people will be hooking them up to that's probably a very good thing. They seem to be not as long as most bookshelf speakers I've owned, in fact about half as long. I think these would be a good choice for garage or porch speakers but I don't like them in the nearfield.

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundGoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't know what was meant by this, but I like the response of "Tuesday?"
tongue.gif

I think he meant that he couldn't believe people were raving about a $15 pair of speakers. Even the cheapest semi-decent headphones aren't that cheap.

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #41 of 47
The best buy insignias stomp all over these presidians in every aspect except for size and (arguably) price to performance ratio, if that's even a factor in the grand scheme of things. That being said, for $15, i couldn't complain, there are plenty of "bookshelf stereo systems" with MEGA GROOVE BASS enhancement that i'm sure these are better than, and with the added bonus of not getting a headache from all the chrome and blue LEDs. That being, said, i'm sure some cabinet stiffening, additional bracing, and some damping material would do these some good, but i'd still have to place my vote with the insignias (if we're talking about budget decent-fi/way too good for the money-fi).

A nice, and cheaper alternative to dynamat is Peel N Seel rubberized asphalt with adhesive and foil backing, it's available in rolls at Lowe's and costs about $13 for enough to build up several layers inside of both of those cabinets and it would do wonders to increase damping in the cabinet and isolate the sound. But is it really worth spending the cost of the speakers? i'm not so sure...

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #42 of 47
I'm not so sure either. I wouldn't spend more than or even what these are worth to try and improve them. They are certainly not the best speakers that I have ever heard, not by a long shot. I just thought that for $15, they were surprisingly decent. Not monster killers or anything, just decent.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #43 of 47
these look pretty interesting. I wonder how they'd sound next to my Genesis speakers?

what I really think I'm gonna do is get them to replace the left and rights for the surround sound system downstairs. and then move the current left/rights to satellite duty (we had a satellite crap out and have been too lazy to do anything about it)

Apr 1, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundGoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, after my responding to a post, my interest was perked a bit.... Has anyone had any listening experiences with these Presidian Speakers that Radio Shack is selling for $15 a pair? How do they sound? Who is "Presidian?" Anything would be helpful, but especially if you have heard these. Here is a link to the page for them: RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Speakers: Presidian 2-Way Book Shelf Speaker

Hmmm...every link that I've tried doesn't show them. Does RS still sell them??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back