Radio Shack's new $15 Presidian Speakers - Brief Reviews and Thoughts
Jan 11, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #16 of 47
A great way to make cheap speakers sound a bit better can be to liberally dampen the inside of the cabinets with plasticine. You can also try to get a small brace in their as well. a small circle of felt around the tweeter can help with imaging/soundstage. Cheap mods & they won't cost more than lunch. Gotta love that R-shack outsourcing.

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #18 of 47
Aww man those look sweet!!
eek.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #19 of 47
So I opened these up (will post pics if I can remember how to use photobucket and what my password and username are), and found about what I though I would - in line crossover, no stuffing. I'm not too bothered by the in line crossover considering the sound, but I wanted to try some stuffing to see how it changed the sound, either for the better or worse. I put it in one to start with to have some A/B comparison, and came to the conclusion that it does clean up the bass a little bit while at the same time bringing out the midrange, however, I believe that I put too much in the one that I put the stuffing in, so tomorrow I will experiment will the amount that will work best.
The one that has it has lost some of it's upper frequency sound that I initially enjoyed when I first heard these, and at first it didn't bother me, I thought that it might be better for the overall blend of the sounds, but after further listening I feel that it took too much away from the upper sounds and details in general. So we'll see how things go tomorrow. Pictures perhaps to follow
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #21 of 47
I'm going to Radio shack tomorrow to pick these up....I can fill everybody in with how these sound compared to some Advent small speakers (the infamous Advent "the smaller loudspeaker")...

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #23 of 47
^^ Just goes to show the horrible amount of mark-up in the audio industry...

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to Radio shack tomorrow to pick these up....I can fill everybody in with how these sound compared to some Advent small speakers (the infamous Advent "the smaller loudspeaker")...

Your Advents are probably gonna kick the pants off these (if they have the sound that I know Advent for having).
tongue.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by tusk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you mind comparing these to computer speakers? Maybe even the Logitech z4s if you can?

I've never heard the Z4's personally, but if you would like to loan me some to do a comparison with, sure.

Jan 14, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundGoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard the Z4's personally, but if you would like to loan me some to do a comparison with, sure.

I think you are a little bit far for that. Thanks though. Do you have any computer speakers you could compare with?

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by tusk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you are a little bit far for that. Thanks though. Do you have any computer speakers you could compare with?

lo, It's ok, I was just being silly. I have a good pair of Altec Lansing ("AL"'s from here on) computer speakers (2.1) that I have got about 6 years ago for college. They are great little speakers, and were around $30 when I got them and I like them over most others that I have listened to today in that price range (AL included). They are clear and have decent amount of depth to them without being too muddy. They are what I would call fun speakers - not overly accurate really, and certainly not to the point of making music sterile, but enjoyable to listen to music as well as watch movies from your computer on. I didn't really care for them for classical music (which is what I listen to mostly), a bit too boomy, but for everything else they were grand.
The Presidian's have a decent amount of punch in comparison, and definitely have cleaner lows and highs. The highs are not overly shrill on the Presidian's, but they are present. The bass on the Presidian's is not too punchy either, but there is some kick when it is called for. I am experimenting with some acoustic filling in them, and it seems to clean up the bass a bit (which I did not think was too bad in the first place) and bring out the mids too. I'm still trying to find the right amount of fill, but slowly but surely am getting there. Hope this helps some, and good listening!

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #30 of 47
Try Dynamatting the mid/woofer basket. It will do wonders for the mids/lows. Also try some in the enclosure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back