Radio Shack's new $15 Presidian Speakers - Brief Reviews and Thoughts
Jan 5, 2008 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

SoundGoon

500+ Head-Fier
So, after my responding to a post, my interest was perked a bit.... Has anyone had any listening experiences with these Presidian Speakers that Radio Shack is selling for $15 a pair? How do they sound? Who is "Presidian?" Anything would be helpful, but especially if you have heard these. Here is a link to the page for them: RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Speakers: Presidian 2-Way Book Shelf Speaker

Jan 6, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 47
Could've sworn I just commented on this thread, but it was a thread with an identical title in the Member's Lounge, posted four minutes after this one...

Ya gotta give people in the proper forum time to respond.
cool.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could've sworn I just commented on this thread, but it was a thread with an identical title in the Member's Lounge, posted four minutes after this one...

Ya gotta give people in the proper forum time to respond.
cool.gif

Oh no, I know. I didn't do it so that no one had a chance to respond, I just figured that I would reach more people this way
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 47
So, earlier this evening I was out and about and figured I'd atop at the 'Shack to see if they had any of these babies. You can't get them online, only in the store, so I'm guessing that there is a clearance? I don't know - it doesn't say "clearance" online, so maybe it is only something that they are offering in the store for now. Anyways, I digress
tongue.gif

Long story short, I picked them up. Came to a whopping $16 and change after tax. Later on in the evening (or morning if you would rather
wink.gif
) I took them out and gave them a once over before hooking them up. Decent weight, failry decent build, too. Push-pin hook ups (which I am not a big fan of, but I was expecting that for $16 and change), port on the backside, and grills that were kind of nice as well. These look nice with the grills on or off, although at least for now I like how they look off. Over all, fairly nice and a good impression thus far.

I hooked them up to my Kenwood Sovereign receiver with some 16 gauge speaker cable (which, surprisingly, is what the manual (yes, even more surprisingly they came with a manual) recommends) and slowly turned up the music a bit. At very first, the tuner was on and they really didn't sound too terrible all things considered - right out of the box on a station. Then, after letting them "warm up" for a few minutes, I switched to some CD's that I know very well.
I started with a Wind Ensemble recording that I was very familiar with and knew how it did sound and how it should sound. Mind you, it was close to 3 in the morning, so they were not loud at all, just enough to get them going a bit. This recording was done in a studio that picks up every little detail, both good and bad, and the depth and sensitivity and clarity of the ensemble was captured beautifully in this recording. There is also a generous but pleasant reverb in this recording. The Presidians are set up about 3ft off the ground and about 5ft apart, and they sounded just beautiful.
I was expecting something with (hopefully) decent highs but very tinny, especially at the volumes that I was playing them at. However, they gave me no such thing. There was an appropriate depth and roundness to the bass instruments without them being bloated, and an attention to detail that really surprised me. I was also VERY surprised at the middle voices and soundstage that these speakers presented. Being 2-ways, I wasn't expecting much for the middle end of things at all, especially considering price, but they were indeed there and realistically so. The highs did seem a bit exaggerated, but not so much that it took over and unbalanced the speaker. The bass very full all things considered (the fact that they were not driven very loudly at all), and gave an decent representation of what these instruments should sound like. I also listened to a few piano/choral pieces that I engineered the recordings for, so I know how they ought to sound too. I was very impressed again by the soundstage, especially with the choirs - I could hear those right in front of me, a little further behind, and off to the sides pretty well, which was amazing I thought. Also, the piano sounded incredible - VERY realistic and deep and well balanced throughout its spectrum.
That's all that I will say for right now until I get a chance to listen to them tomorrow/later on today with a bit more juice.
So far, quite good...

Jan 6, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Wow... If that's how $15/pair speakers sound to you, I can't wait to read your impressions when you upgrade.
tongue.gif

Hey hey hey, easy now. I know what good sound is and isn't thank you. And anyways, it's what sounds good to me, right?
tongue.gif

And these will definitely sound best with a sub woofer I'm guessing

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #12 of 47
So, after some listening and such, I have come tom some conclusions about these little guys. First off, if you are going to use them for home theatre, you need a subwoofer (duh). Secondly, they seem to sound best with orchestral and acoustical music, with pop and vocal a close second and third, respectively. One thing that I can't get over about these speakers is the imaging - it is truly amazing for $16 speakers. With orchestral recordings, the orchestra sounds as though it were set up in front of me and I am in the middle of the hall. These do not sound confined or tight at all, which really surprised me considering their price point. They are quite open and easy to listen to, and are fairly accurate to the recordings that I used. I also used a pop album (Black Eyed Peas if you must know) and was rather impressed with their performance with this genre as well. There was not the kick that I am used to, however, it did produce the lower octaves enough so that you knew that they were there - it was not as though notes were missing, it's just that these don't have the thump that bigger speakers (or more expensive speakers) or a subwoofer would have.
I could picture using these quite successfully for a surround sound system, as they sound crisp and clear, but also balanced. A well matched sub could make these deceptively good. A possible sleeper here... Hope this helps anyone looking into these speakers - they are indeed worth the $15 or $16 in my humble opinion.

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Could you compare the Presidians with other speakers you've heard? Just curious to hear some impressions...

Sure. Let me think - my MAIN music speakers are Watkins Sound Concept Acoustic Suspension 3-way speakers. Very detailed and fun to listen to. They has an accurate sound, but add a bit of thump in the lower end. When I listen to a pipe organ on these, it sounds like a pipe organ. The mid ranges on these speakers are in their own enclosure, separate from the tweeter and woofer, which helps to give the mids a bit more presence - not artificially so, but enough so that they don't sound muddy and are balanced with the rest of the sound signature.
These are not studio monitors by any means (I have heard several studio monitors as well, I just can't think of the brands, sorry) , however, for the price, I would dare say you would be hard pressed to find a pair that sounds this good.
Most of the music that I listen to is acoustical - choral, instrumental, orchestral - and these speakers do a decent job of reproducing the things that I listen to fairly accurately. I know that they are not $1000 speakers, and I doubt that they are built to compare with speakers in that price point. But with some other speakers that I have heard (Bose, BA (Boston Acoustics) and Sony to name some of the generic few), I would buy these before any of them.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 47
So after some more listening, I would have to say that these are at their best with Acoustical music. Like I said earlier, with a well matched sub, they could be great with pop and probably pretty decent with rock as well, but as decent as they sound with vocal, for some reason, the recordings sound a little too warm and muddy. I think that part of it may be the recordings, as they were done by a company that I was never overly impressed with (at least not with their job of mastering). I'm thinking about taking a look inside and see how these look bracing wise and if there's any fiberfill. We'll see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back