Rachmaninov - The Piano Concerto's Box Set
Feb 17, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #46 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG
And the only drawback is you have to pay for at least one CD a month at that price?

As far as I can see that is the only "string attached", and it's not too bad for the price.

Scott

Feb 17, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #47 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
As far as I can see that is the only "string attached", and it's not too bad for the price.
Scott

That's it! You put some CDs you want to buy in a cue list that will automatically send 1st in line once a month for $5.99. Anytime you can buy any CDs listed for $5.99 each free shipping, as many as you want.

When site first started couple month's ago early members joined for $4.99 price level!

If buying large number of CDs split into smaller orders of 3-4, that way if one is currently backordered doesn't hold up entire order. They will hold order for week or so if one or more CDs are backordered, then ship what they have and cancel any not available.

Be nice if they stocked new MTT Mahler symphonies for $5.99
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #48 of 181
Yes, I saw the Hilary Hahn lark ascending that I purchased for 11.99 at 5.99!
eek.gif
The selection is a bit limited. I'm not the type person to just buy something because I see it on sale at a good price unless it's something that i have been looking for. Months later when I am interested in it and it has disappeared, I could kick myself!! But, the RCA red seals are something that I will buy on her membership, especially the sacd offerings!
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #50 of 181
Selection is extremely limited, and search function at website is terrible, just have to learn how to manually find everything

Bunny
They have many Hillary Hahn violin CDs, also the Zinman Rach 1,2 all $5.99
(also have that Bach Milstein violin CD you mentioned)

Feb 17, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #51 of 181
Thanks, but I already bought all of those, and although I paid a little more (not really that much when I looked at my receipts, the Hahn was $1.00 more and the others were similarly priced) I just didn't see any titles that I wanted today. Tomorrow it will probably be a different story. I've really got to put a lid on the spending. I have spent upwards of $1000.00 since Christmas on cds (started when I took some gifts to tower to exchange). These music threads are going to result in my husband either leaving me or having a heart attack!
eek.gif

Edit: the Hahn was the same price -- 5.99
icon10.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #52 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Thanks, but I already bought all of those, and although I paid a little more (not really that much when I looked at my receipts, the Hahn was $1.00 more and the others were similarly priced) I just didn't see any titles that I wanted today. Tomorrow it will probably be a different story. I've really got to put a lid on the spending. I have spent upwards of $1000.00 since Christmas on cds (started when I took some gifts to tower to exchange). These music threads are going to result in my husband either leaving me or having a heart attack!
eek.gif

Edit: the Hahn was the same price -- 5.99
icon10.gif

Perhaps time to start a spousal support group?
smily_headphones1.gif
My wife doesn't understand why I need so many copies of the same symphonies
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #53 of 181
My husband has a tin ear so that's the part he doesn't begin to try to understand. I am dragging him to a concert at Carnegie Hall on the ides of March in hopes of getting him more aware!

San Francisco Symphony
Michael Tilson Thomas, Music Director and Conductor
Leif Ove Andsnes, Piano

COPLAND Orchestral Variations
RACHMANINOFF Piano Concerto No. 2
SHOSTAKOVICH Symphony No. 15 in A Major, Op. 141

It's sponsored by Marsh, so the tickets are free! (His company does a lot of business with Marsh.) He didn't want to go (hehe) and he bothered to mention it to me: "You don't want to go to an Aaron Copland concert, do you?"
rolleyes.gif
Ofcourse I looked it up immediately and saw the R2 p. concerto and he was dead meat.
cool.gif

The shostakovich also was an easy sell. the night after, MTT is doing Mahler's 7th. If they can get me the tickets for that instead, it will be all over happy!

And talk about the sound quality at Carnegie Hall! The best in the USA!
eggosmile.gif

Carnegie Hall is MAGIC!!!

Feb 17, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #54 of 181
I went to my first concert in January, James Lavine and the BSO doing Sibelius and Babbitt, was quite a nice evening, my wife enjoyed the Sibelius but not the Babbitt. My only complaint was the seats aren't really made for guys 6'5" tall....

Scott

Feb 17, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #55 of 181
You sound like you could give Randy Johnson a run for the money! My brother's 6'4" so I know where you are coming from. How was the music? which hall were you in? I understand why your wife might not care for the Babbitt. It's going to be a close thing for my husband and Shostakovitch, but he needs to broaden his horizons. He needs a lot of things when it comes to music. It's a good thing that I love sports as much as he does, otherwise he would send me to the concerts alone.

Feb 17, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #56 of 181
Quote:

You sound like you could give Randy Johnson a run for the money! My brother's 6'4" so I know where you are coming from. How was the music? which hall were you in? I understand why your wife might not care for the Babbitt. It's going to be a close thing for my husband and Shostakovitch, but he needs to broaden his horizons. He needs a lot of things when it comes to music. It's a good thing that I love sports as much as he does, otherwise he would send me to the concerts alone.

*pretends to know who Randy Johnson is* Yes, It will certainly come into effect when we go again. We were at Symphony Hall in Boston, lovely Hall and great sound. Just something about hearing it played live that is quite something to experience. Keeping an ey out for other concerts of interest.

Scott

Feb 17, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #57 of 181
eek.gif
Bunnyears....I'm so ridiculously jealous. That concert lineup is amazing, and even getting to hear the SFS in Carnegie...I have no words. Do whatever you must to get tickets to the M7 the next day. Murder, steal, pillage, whatever it takes. Then promptly report back here.

-Jay

Feb 17, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #58 of 181
scott,

randy johnson is a 5 time cy young winner that the Yankees have just signed. He is going to hand Curt Schilling his head!! The two of them were the backbone of the Arizona Diamondbacks World Series winning pitching staff, and it is an open secret that Schilling demanded to be traded because he and Randy did not get along. They both deny it, but time will tell.
icon10.gif

Jay

You bet I am trying to get halfway decent seats for the mahler concert. I'll let you know how it goes, though two heavy concerts in two days will really mark me as some type of concert Junkie, especially as the week also has The Allman brothers at the Beacon. ( If I can get reasonably priced tickets. The Alison Krause tickets are already stratospheric and she doesn't play until April.)
anyway, if I can't score the mahler, the rach2 is nothing to sneer at.
cool.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #59 of 181
Quote:

scott,

randy johnson is a 5 time cy young winner that the Yankees have just signed. He is going to hand Curt Schilling his head!! The two of them were the backbone of the Arizona Diamondbacks World Series winning pitching staff, and it is an open secret that Schilling demanded to be traded because he and Randy did not get along. They both deny it, but time will tell.
icon10.gif

*blank stare* Ok...I'll have to take your word on all of that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back