Rachmaninov - The Piano Concerto's Box Set
Feb 3, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #31 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
LOL ... Rachmaninoff is the Eric Clapton (or Rolling Stones) of classics !

Sorry can't resist to post this CD cover:

clasrock.jpg

Hahahah that's too funny.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #32 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Well, since we are now talking about individual issues instead of box sets, I can say that the best Rach 1 and 2 I've heard is the Zimerman CD that came out a year or so ago. Stunningly good, comparable to Janis in 1 and Richter in 2. For the Rach 3, Argerich is good (much better than Horowitz, IMO), but Janis owns this one. He has a CD of the Rach 2 and 3 with Dorati, both are must-hear's.

Tyson
Have you heard the Janis/Munch/RCA Living Stereo 1,3 CD? I just listened and am not so sure that this isn't superior Janis R3 to the Dorati/Mercury, if not better then it is extremely close call.

B000003G8Q.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Have you gotten the Michelangeli/EMI GROTC R4 yet?

Feb 11, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #33 of 181
I just got the Alexis Weissenberg R2 (coupled with the Tchaikovsky PC 1), von karajan with Berliner Philharmoniker. The T1 (with Orchestre de Paris) is a great performance with good sound, very warm with good clarity, but the R2 is simply wonderful! It's probably one of the best there is. They are recorded in the Salle Wagram, Paris and the Jesus-Christus-Kirche, Berlin-Dahlem respectively. I am so glad that the R1 was not recorded in the Berlin Philharmoniker hall (very bright sound).

The more I listen to Weissenberg, the more I like him, especially his recording of the Scarlatti sonatas.

Feb 11, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #34 of 181
Bunny, oooh...and it's a budget CD too.....

Scott

Feb 16, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #35 of 181
529828.jpg

The SACD hybrid release by RCA of this classic Van Cliburn twin bill is complete success, classic gem gets new polish.

I can only listen to CD layer but sound has more body/bloom now making it fully competitive soundwise to any modern version. Nice balance in scale between piano and orchestra, although Van Cliburn's performances are very good not quite reference level to compete with Janis, Argerich.Richter and others available now. Listening to Rach 2 now and Reiner/CSO sound wonderful here, detail and ochestral 3D soundstage nicely improved with great dynamic range........cymbal splashes have beautiful sustained decay, with elegant romantic sweep and tremendous power when required, great stuff!

I can only imagine what SACD sounds like, at reduced price for two great performances the proverbial "no brainer"

Feb 16, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #36 of 181
Previn Ashkenazy is definitely up there.
the vasary renditions are a bit too slow for me.
There is need for some briskness in the palying of these concertos and I personally believe that Ashkenazy has got it spot on in that department.

Feb 17, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #37 of 181
Zinman/DG 1,2 piano concertos have arrived........new CD stack is tall maybe a few days till I get to them, hope Ozawa doesn't drop the ball since remastered Reiner/CSO is fresh in my mind.

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #38 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Zinman/DG 1,2 piano concertos have arrived........new CD stack is tall maybe a few days till I get to them, hope Ozawa doesn't drop the ball since remastered Reiner/CSO is fresh in my mind.

If you are referring to the Zimermann R1/2 cd, you will really love them. They are excellent! Fiery and incredibly transparent with excellent audio quality. I have been listening to them for the past few days and I cannot get over how good this recording is. Now I have 3 really terrific versions of the R2: the Weissenberg, Van Cliburn (vinyl) and this one. I'm hard pressed to say which I like the best, but this one really is awesome.
etysmile.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #39 of 181
Hey Bunny
Did you enroll at yourmusic.com and get the BMG edition of Zinman? If not do so right away and save money, selection is small but money saved is great.

I'm sure Tyson has joined because everytime they get good new CDs in classical dept he mentions them here........admit it Tyson!
k1000smile.gif

I will admit joining, they have many of the remastered RCA hybrids like Van Cliburn pictured above.

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #40 of 181
Quote:

Hey Bunny
Did you enroll at yourmusic.com and get the BMG edition of Zinman? If not do so right away and save money, selection is small but money saved is great.

I'm sure Tyson has joined because everytime they get good new CDs in classical dept he mentions them here........admit it Tyson!
k1000smile.gif

I will admit joining, they have many of the remastered RCA hybrids like Van Cliburn pictured above.

I didn't join yourmusic.com, but I did join BMG
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #41 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
I didn't join yourmusic.com, but I did join BMG
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

You should check out yourmusic.com which has same CD inventory as BMG club, but low everyday price for all CDs and free shipping.

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #42 of 181
Quote:

You should check out yourmusic.com which has same CD inventory as BMG club, but low everyday price for all CDs and free shipping.

Once I fullfill my commitment (1 CD full price) at BMG I'll check it out.

Scott

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #43 of 181
Quote:

Hey Bunny

k1000smile.gif

I haven't joined BMG, but one of my daughters is a member and she keeps getting cds sent to her at our home address. I'll ask her how I can order some on her membership. That would be very nice!! thanks for the heads-up, Angelboy!

Feb 17, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #44 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
I haven't joined BMG, but one of my daughters is a member and she keeps getting cds sent to her at our home address. I'll ask her how I can order some on her membership. That would be very nice!! thanks for the heads-up, Angelboy!

Actually I think yourmusic.com is a sister site to BMG, yourmusic.com seems to have awesome deals.

Scott

Feb 17, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #45 of 181
I've been on BMG for a while now, only ordering when I could get good deals like $7 or less per CD. The best deal I've seen at BMG was unlimited $5.99 with no shipping. I looked at yourmusic.com today and if it really is $5.99 with no shipping for everything all the time, then it seems like a much better site. And the only drawback is you have to pay for at least one CD a month at that price?

-Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back