Rachmaninov - The Piano Concerto's Box Set
Jan 18, 2005 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 181

pingles

100+ Head-Fier
Wow.

Was listening to the radio this morning and heard some Rachmaninov come on (I was trying to work really hard so Classic FM went on), and it sounded so nice I figured I'd go buy some recordings. Well, I checked out Arkivmusic to see their recommendations (with Ashkenazy performing). I popped around the corner to HMV and found this was on sale so I picked it up (6 CDs).

Just listening to the opening piece on CD3 right now and it's amazing (Rhapsody on a Theme of Pagnini, op. 43) -- I've heard it before but this recording blows me away. It sounds pretty good on my little A500s here at work, really looking forward to trying it out on the PPA/Zu/650 when I get home. The recording sounds extremely good so far (as far as the A500s are concerned), but just music and performance wise I'm amazed, very happy!

Jan 18, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 181
That complete Ashkenazy set is very nice and can be had for very little money! It includes some of the excellent music that one doesn't hear all the time--like the suites for two pianos.

Jan 19, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 181
The Ashkenazy/Previn/London set is widely recommended by many and it is good but I think you can do better, especially if you want some extra passion and energy. If you do want Ashkenazy I would get the newer Ashkenazy/Haitink/London set vs older Previn set. (I know Previn is cheaper
tongue.gif
)

For complete set I recommend Wild/Horenstein/Chandos, more intense and deeper insights vs Ashkenazy/Previn, 1960's recording still sounds quite good, reduced price.
484526.JPG

For some essential single CDs:
If you feel you "must" have some Ashkenazy get the Decca Legends 2,3 with Kondrashin and Fistoulari replacing the over polished Previn conducting youthful Ashkenazy. (there are more exciting versions however)
B00001IVQT.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Richter/DG Originals R2, even with 2nd tier conductor and orchestra Richter has full measure of this work and gives us a thrilling performance that makes Ashkenazy seem timid and restrained. The pairing with Karajan is real odd couple as Richter refuses to be restrained in Tchaikovsky piano 1.
B000001GQD.01._PE8_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Or the older version with Prokefiev 5 coupling:
B000001G5S.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Argerich/Phillips R3, this could well be the single greatest piano concerto CD ever released, it is absolutely essential to own. The Rachmaninov piano 3 takes back seat to no one, overwhelming power and explosive virtuosity displayed here yet always under complete control of this bewitching master artist. The Tchaikovsky coupling amazingly is no less fine, two definitive performances on one CD as only the egnimatic Argerich can produce. I hope I have made it crystal clear that anyone with even fleeting interest in piano concerto genre must own this CD.
B0000041DF.01._PE12_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Michelangeli/EMI GROTC R4, like the Argerich CD above this contains two essential performances. This is pretty universally hailed as best R4 available and sound quality is very good. The Ravel coupling is no less essential, a must have CD.
B00004R95P.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Let me also make special mention:
Horowitz/Renier/RCA R3 (1951 mono studio version)
Janis/Dorati/Mercury R2,3
Janis/Renier/RCA Living Stereo R1,3

Jan 19, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 181
Yes, I bought it a couple of weeks ago and it is bad, bad, bad. How bad is it? It's the worst set I've heard, beating out the almost-as-bad Rudy set.

Jan 19, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Yes, I bought it a couple of weeks ago and it is bad, bad, bad. How bad is it? It's the worst set I've heard, beating out the almost-as-bad Rudy set.

Thanks...........you just saved me some money!

Jan 19, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 181
Tyson - I also picked up the new Hough/Litton set, and I have to say I disagree. It's 2am and I have class tomorrow at 8:30am, so I'm not going to be lengthy right now, but I promise a more thorough explanation in the immediate future. In short, yes, it is different. I was surprised at first listen how different it was considering the Rachi concertos are played constantly and every pianist worth their salt has recorded them at least once. Different doesn't automatically mean bad, though, and I think they definitely have merit. They would never be the only set I would own, but I am glad to own them. More to come.

And yes, the sound quality is very good.

-Jay

Jan 19, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 181
DarkAngel: Thanks for the suggestions, I was definitely considering purchasing the Wild/Horenstein performance after reading a review on classical.net. I'll have to check out the others you'd mentioned too.

I've not bought that much classical music before, but seem to have caught the bug
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 181
Hi, thanks for all this great info on my favorite classical music pieces.

I have Ashkenazy/Previn R2 decca 72, Leif Ove Andsnes/Berglund R3 virgin 95 as well as that Argerich R3 CDs and would like to hear your comments on how the first 2 compare to other versions.

Interestingly the one I enjoy to the fullest is Horowitz/Ormandy R3 on RCA 78 (LP). Why is this one not on recommended list ? Sadly my other LP, Rubinstein R2 mono RCA circa 56 is badly scratched.
frown.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 181
Oh I understand what Hough is "trying" to do, its just that he doesn't do it well at all. Remember that different does not equal good, just like different does not equal bad. Hough has a different interpration, that's for sure, it's just that he does it badly. To see his conception done well, listen to Rachmaninov himself playing the 4 concerto's. It's in poor sound due to the age of the recording, but it's a very well done set, much better than Hough. And it's too bad, because I had really high hoped for the Hough set after hearing his wonderful set of Saint Saens Concertos.

Jan 20, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Argerich/Phillips R3, this could well be the single greatest piano concerto CD ever released, it is absolutely essential to own. The Rachmaninov piano 3 takes back seat to no one, overwhelming power and explosive virtuosity displayed here yet always under complete control of this bewitching master artist. The Tchaikovsky coupling amazingly is no less fine, two definitive performances on one CD as only the egnimatic Argerich can produce. I hope I have made it crystal clear that anyone with even fleeting interest in piano concerto genre must own this CD.
B0000041DF.01._PE12_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I second this, I picked up the Philips 50 Great Recordings Version, which comes with the Rach Suite for 2 Pianos instead of the Tchaikovsky.

Scott

Jan 20, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #13 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
So far nobody like Horowitz playing R2/3 ?
confused.gif

I am not aware of any stereo Horowitz R2.

The stereo R3 with Ormandy/RCA I have not heard, instead I purchased the Horowitz/Renier/RCA R3 1951 mono studio version which seems to be the preferred version from what I read. I really never buy mono CD recordings but in this rare case made an exception.........I don't listen to it much though.

As far as mono vinyl you may be the only person here that has any experience with these.

Jan 20, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 181
I have the Garilov/Philly Orch w/Muti on EMI playing 2/rhapsody and it is so-so.

I guess the Muti years in Philly were not well received by most, especially coming off of having Ormandy and then following with Wolfgang.

It was my first intruduction to the piece so I still have it, but it's not my favorite

Jan 20, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #15 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
I am not aware of any stereo Horowitz R2

Thanks for your comment DarkAngel ! The mono R2 vinyl is a Rubinstein one. Apparently a case when not-up-to-par recording gets in the way of good music.

I just googled and found out Horowitz won 1978 grammy award for this golden jubilee concert with Ormandy (the LP doesn't have sonata no 2 though). If you have it, which one you like better compared to Argerich ? or if you don't, highly recommended
wink.gif

B00004TCPJ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Btw I can't believe he received grammy since 1962, and for the good portion of 30 years period up to 1992.
eek.gif
Scroll to bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back