Rachmaninov - The Piano Concerto's Box Set
Sep 6, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #166 of 181
The Hough/Litton set has become my favorite (gasp!), as it is the least romantic of the sets I have. This has been a part of a general move in my tastes toward more lean and intense type of performances (Francescatta has also become my favorite violinists, and Mitropoulos my favorite conductor). Hough, Tetzlaff, Andsnes, Mork, all have become favorite performers for me due to this. I'll probably swing back to a more romantic preference eventually, but for now I like even Rach done in this new style.

I think the performance that actually pushed me over the edge with regard to Rach is the Wild PC recordings. They were very well done from a technical standpoint and a recording standpoint, but the interpretation was so patently obvious in it's choices that I found it completely boring. Oh, it was "exciting" in that he played fast and with power when needed, but rather every point, every decision about how to play the music, was plain and obvious, and thus (since I already know the music well), boring, despite the syrupy romanticism they embedded in every bar.

Sep 6, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #168 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Hough/Litton set has become my favorite (gasp!), as it is the least romantic of the sets I have. This has been a part of a general move in my tastes toward more lean and intense type of performances (Francescatta has also become my favorite violinists, and Mitropoulos my favorite conductor). Hough, Tetzlaff, Andsnes, Mork, all have become favorite performers for me due to this. I'll probably swing back to a more romantic preference eventually, but for now I like even Rach done in this new style.

The ghost of Bunny lives on..........I recall many pages ago she advised you to listen again more carefully before writing off Hough PC set.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Although it is more obviously romantic in style and perhaps less complex or neuanced I will not be parting with the Wild/Horenstein/Chandos set anytime soon.

Anyone have the Lugansky set already? Masolino?

Sep 7, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #169 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

SA

Which Van Cliburn CD do you have.........best deal and sound is to get the RCA Living Stereo version paired with very good Tchaikovsky PC 1, his style is more sweeping romantic than others which maybe what appeals to some people.

Yeah thats the one I have, the Tchaikovsky performance is superb!

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #170 of 181
Time to wake up this thread..........decided to finally get the Naxos remasters of Rachmaninov playing his own concertos:

21EDNXJRJ5L._SL500_AA130_.jpg
21NKG2QZ30L._SL500_AA130_.jpg

I am hoping the historical sound is not too bad, the guy at Naxos usually does a great job with these reamsters. This will help me evaluate what is going on with modern recordings and provide valuable insight.

Anyone have these versions?

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #173 of 181
Are those original recordings of Rachmaninov available on vinyl?

I can't remember where, but I did hear one of those recordings (of 2) once (and only the first few bars of the 1st movement). My main memory is how different to the Richter the performance sounded and that I preferred the latter!

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #174 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the performance that actually pushed me over the edge with regard to Rach is the Wild PC recordings. They were very well done from a technical standpoint and a recording standpoint, but the interpretation was so patently obvious in it's choices that I found it completely boring. Oh, it was "exciting" in that he played fast and with power when needed, but rather every point, every decision about how to play the music, was plain and obvious, and thus (since I already know the music well), boring, despite the syrupy romanticism they embedded in every bar.

Quote:

The ghost of Bunny lives on..........I recall many pages ago she advised you to listen again more carefully before writing off Hough PC set.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Although it is more obviously romantic in style and perhaps less complex or neuanced I will not be parting with the Wild/Horenstein/Chandos set anytime soon.

Anyone have the Lugansky set already? Masolino?

How ever did I miss these posts?
biggrin.gif

Edit: I think the Litton/Hough concertos might be best described as objectivist Rachmaninoff.
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #175 of 181
Listen to some sound samples from Rach 2nd 1929 played by Rach:
Rach

Sounds very good for a historical performance that old, Naxos does great job of remasters for these.
Look at the timings for Rach 2 piano concerto, Richter vs Rach:

Richter/Wislocki/DG
11:15 *** 11:53 *** 11:38

Rach/Stokowski/Naxos
9:45 *** 10:40 *** 10:55

We normally think of Richter as an aggressive high energy performer yet Rach is much faster in every movement especially the opening

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #176 of 181
Those timings are interesting: Richter is well known on the R2 for taking the first movement tempo to an extreme and getting away with it (just). And by comparison to (should that be with?) all the other versions I've heard (not a huge amount, but a few) his 3rd movement sounds just about as extreme and frenetic as one could get away with in the other direction.

But Rachmaninov is even quicker! The mind boggles.. I've heard he practised the 2nd concerto on the boat on the way to New York. He had the strings taken out so as not to bother the rest of the passengers.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #177 of 181
Quote:

Still waiting for 2 CDs to be released to complete thier original very promising Rach performance:

416QBQ97RXL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Need follow up Zimermann 3,4 CD

513DB55QTKL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Need follow up Andsnes 3,4 CD

DA,

I don't know whether is an indication or not, but Andsnes has been performing the Rach 3rd in concert recently. I don't know if he intends to do another recording of it or not, but concert artists usually record what they perform. I haven't heard of him doing the Rach 4th, however, but that could change as well. Btw, he's also been doing the Brahms Piano Concerto No.2 as well as Moussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. You can pick up his early recording of the Rach 3rd at yourmusic, in any event (picture is link). He's also teaming up with Christian Tetzlaff again for a concert of sonatas tomorrow night in NYC (JANÁČEK; BRAHMS; MOZART; SCHUBERT).

As for Zimerman, most of his orchestral concerts seem to be of works by Penderecki and Lutoslawski -- Polish late romantic composers. He will be appearing here later in the spring, but in solo concert. Details of the program haven't been released yet.

It may be a while before he returns to the Russian repertoire, if at all.
frown.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #179 of 181
I had those 1992 recordings for a while, is was an ear opening set, probably the one thing that allowed me to (eventually) come to appreciate the Hough set so much, who consciously modeled his performance on these.

That said, if Andsnes completed his Rach set, I think it will be another one for the ages. His is more in the romantic style of Wild, but far, far better done, IMO. At least that is true in the first 2 PC's, let's hope the last 2 match them.

Apr 29, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #180 of 181
great thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back