Rachmaninov - The Piano Concerto's Box Set
Jan 24, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #136 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears

I enjoy Hough's playing very much even if I do question some of his choices, especially in the opening of the 2nd concerto which seems to be the most controversial. I find that it is well articulated and if it is more understated in its emotions (English stiff upper lip perhaps?), Rachmaninov's music has so much emotional impact that sometimes the more excessive performances have me wincing in embarrassment.

If anything, Berezovsky restrains himself from using "common romanticist tricks" like agogics or rubati, in favor of tempo changes over longer ranges. Actually more so than Hough from what I heard. So I am tempted to call Berezovsky's performances "hard" or dramatic in the way that many western performances of Rachmaninov tend to be "soft" (read lush, lounge music) and romantic, with the word "excess" nary once in my mind.
Their better sound quality also helps - as I said, details are more palpable instead of being anything left to our imagination.

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #137 of 181
Dear Masolino,

With a Towerrecords coupon in hand, I attempted to order the Berezovsky Rachmaninov, but alas it does not seem to have been released in the USA! I did order the preludes, though (no reason to let a good coupon go to waste, and I also wanted Ivan Fisher's Mahler 6 and Akiko Suwanai's Poème
biggrin.gif
). There is also a recording of Rachmaninov's Variations on a theme by Chopin Op. 22 and Piano Sonata No. 1 that I was wondering about, but that seems to have been withdrawn from the catalogue. Do you have any information about that recording? It got 5 stars from an Amazon reviewer.

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #138 of 181
Quote:

Dear Masolino,

With a Towerrecords coupon in hand, I attempted to order the Berezovsky Rachmaninov, but alas it does not seem to have been released in the USA! I did order the preludes, though (no reason to let a good coupon go to waste, and I also wanted Ivan Fisher's Mahler 6 and Akiko Suwanai's Poème
biggrin.gif
). There is also a recording of Rachmaninov's Variations on a theme by Chopin Op. 22 and Piano Sonata No. 1 that I was wondering about, but that seems to have been withdrawn from the catalogue. Do you have any information about that recording? It got 5 stars from an Amazon reviewer.

Dear Bunnyears,

Unfortunately I can't find any information on the Berezovsky solo disc
you mentioned other than that it has won the Preis der deutschen
Schallplattenkritik in 1992. (Even though I saw a Naxos disc of almost identical
programme on sale for mere $3, played by Konstantin Scherbakov-
vastly underrated imo- I will snatch the Naxos up and let you know how
I like it.) If you still can't find the Berezovsky Rach concerti disc in the US, I will
check with the local HM distributor for stock and pick up a copy for you
if necessary. I think it's a shame anyone should miss out on this recording.
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #139 of 181
Hi Masolino,

A quick look at classicstoday also yielded no information about that recording. However, there is a recording of Beethoven's p/c 4 coupled with the p/c from the violin concerto. That has garnered the 10/10 from the irrascible DH himself.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't know what I have been thinking, but a quick check at jpc.de has revealed a vast stock of Berezovsky recordings including the Rach piano concertos. It's a pricey €19.00 not including shipping, but that price might include VAT which is deducted from USA orders. I'll have wait on this as it will probably be released here.

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #141 of 181
For PC #1 Zimerman is your man. For the Rhapsody, I like Ashkenazy and Previn.

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #143 of 181
Don't feel bad, those are still good performances that you are getting
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #144 of 181
Got a chance to hear the Andsnes recording of the Rach 1 & 2, I was very impressed. This is the performance that I was hoping Hough would have been able to give. But where Hough sounds glib, Andsnes sounds natural. Where Litton sounds rushed, Pappano sounds exciting and highly detailed. And the recording quality is far, far superior for Andsnes/Pappano. Now if they will just record the 3rd, 4th, and Paganini Rhapsody....

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #145 of 181
Tyson,

Whatever you think, Hough does not sound glib. His is an incredibly well thought out performance and with the the exception of those slightly rushed opening chords of the 2nd, the interpretation is top notch. Andnes is also excellent, but there is very little to choose between the two performances and I think Hough just edges out Andsnes (an opinion shared by most musicians that I know). I think you really need to go back and listen to the Hough and reevaluate your impression.

Edit: I note that the new Boris Berezovsky recording of the 2nd and 3rd concertos with the Ural Orchestra is due to be released in the USA later this month.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #146 of 181
Quote:

Edit: I note that the new Boris Berezovsky recording of the 2nd and 3rd concertos with the Ural Orchestra is due to be released in the USA later this month.

Great news! I've enjoyed this recording greatly and think you will, too.
Berezovsky's playing is everything but glibness, and the sound balance is perfect.

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #147 of 181
I'm listening to the Hough/Litton now. I'm afraid we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one....

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #148 of 181
Tyson,

Give it time. It's hard to appreciate unsentimental Rachmaninov. Litton is an objectivist so most of the fire is damped down to the smoldering coals, but this is really an interpretation to live with. It just grew and grew on me until one day I listened and I got it.

May 5, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #149 of 181
Well, I've finally embraced the 3rd & 4th concerto performances of Hough, in fact I now find both to be quite good. The 1st and especially the 2nd I still don't find convincing.

May 6, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #150 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Well, I've finally embraced the 3rd & 4th concerto performances of Hough, in fact I now find both to be quite good. The 1st and especially the 2nd I still don't find convincing.

According to Hough himself, he modeled his performance of the 3rd after early Horowitz, but he sounds not unlike Kocsis in terms of speed, accuracy & tone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back