Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano Concerto
Apr 14, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #46 of 69
Have you gotten the K2HD remastered version of the Argerich recording that I mentioned above?
On my set up the sound is pure bliss, as perfect as I can imagine. So I'd be surprised if that does sound obviously sub par for you.

Thanks! I found it. On order. Thanks again.
I just listened to Valentina Lisitsa and the London Symphony on Decca. Surprisingly good. She actually got her initial exposure through YouTube. She went on to play the Royal Albert Hall then several recordings on Decca.
Do know of any good remasters of Rachmaninov playing? I heard 3 on a friends Spotify

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #47 of 69
  Hi Icebear
Of course I forgot and got the Amazon CD-not the remaster! Duh!

That's ok, if you are not sure if you like her interpretation it's maybe better to buy the regular CD first and then shell out the bigger bucks later for the holiday edition
wink.gif
I don't have the regular version but I am curious how these compare.
Please share some impressions especially if the sound is more pleasant in the sections that you didn't like.

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #48 of 69
That's ok, if you are not sure if you like her interpretation it's maybe better to buy the regular CD first and then shell out the bigger bucks later for the holiday edition:wink: .
Please share some impressions especially if the sound is more pleasant in the sections that you didn't like.

I'll have both. I ordered the K2HD. Should have it this week.

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #49 of 69
That's ok, if you are not sure if you like her interpretation it's maybe better to buy the regular CD first and then shell out the bigger bucks later for the holiday edition:wink: .

Hey Icebear!
I got the K2 Argerich Rach 3. I love it.
The sound quality is miles ahead of the standard CD release-which was so distorted I could not listen to it.
Her interpretation is unique-and convey a lot of passion- and virtuosity!
It is now vying for favorite performance!
Thanks for the tip! I also bought a K2 remaster of Horowitz' last performance but have not heard it yet.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #50 of 69
Glad it turned out OK and you like the K2 version obviously better than the regular CD.
I take this as pretty solid proof that mastering is much more important than the format itself.
If there is a real effort to squeeze the last bit - no pun intended - or maybe yes, then it can be really good.
This (K2 remaster) the "lowly red book" CD format, 16/44.1 and for me this sound gorgeous
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #51 of 69
Glad it turned out OK and you like the K2 version obviously better than the regular CD.
I take this as pretty solid proof that mastering is much more important than the format itself.
If there is a real effort to squeeze the last bit - no pun intended - or maybe yes, then it can be really good.
This (K2 remaster) the "lowly red book" CD format, 16/44.1 and for me this sound gorgeous :wink: .

Hi! Yes the K2 remaster and the regular real ease are VASTLY different in SQ. Nothing subtle about it. No double blind test would fool me.
The regular release is probably my poorest sounding CD. Compressed severely, cringe worthy distortion.
I love her interpretation! Most of the performances I have are just faster or slower in various places. Ashkenazy and Ohllsson are my favorites of this type. Lisitsa's and Lang Lang's tie for last place (I DO like Lisitsa's 2nd) and Argerich and Horowitz are in my higher spots. I have Horowitz 1978 with Ormandy. I love the way he "plays" with the orchestra.
Argerich's playing is the most dramatic!
I'm listening through a Lyr with some "Holy Grail" tubes and HiFIMan HE-560 headphones. My source being the Oppo BDP-105 D.
Thanks again!
Eric

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #52 of 69
This (K2 remaster) the "lowly red book" CD format, 16/44.1 and for me this sound gorgeous :wink: .

My best sounding recordings were recorded and mastered in DSD- Mahler 8 MTT for example. But I do believe that the lowly CD is fantastic when every bit is squeezed out! :)

May 20, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #53 of 69
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but... I'm in LOVE with the 2nd Piano Concerto by Rach... Still trying to find a perfect recording.  Most that I find have too much noise.  If anyone knows of a great recording I'd be happy to find it.

I love this one on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEGOihjqO9w

If I could find a good recording of that I would be so thrilled.  I've bought so many CDs and nothing comes close to the emotion, tempo, and volume of that concert.  The only negative is the idiots clapping between movements =/

I've had a hell of a time finding a good recording of Wagner also if anyone has any recommendations.  Too many are just recorded terribly.

May 21, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #54 of 69
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but... I'm in LOVE with the 2nd Piano Concerto by Rach... Still trying to find a perfect recording.  Most that I find have too much noise.  If anyone knows of a great recording I'd be happy to find it.

I love this one on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEGOihjqO9w

If I could find a good recording of that I would be so thrilled.  I've bought so many CDs and nothing comes close to the emotion, tempo, and volume of that concert.  The only negative is the idiots clapping between movements =/

I've had a hell of a time finding a good recording of Wagner also if anyone has any recommendations.  Too many are just recorded terribly.

Thanks I like Valentina Lisitsa's 2nd quite a lot

May 30, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #55 of 69
Re Rach 3: Horowitz's 1930 performance remains the standard, though Argerich's effort is far and away the best recorded in good sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CARUE500Zw

Re Rach 2: ditto with Sviatoslav Richter's 1959 recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT_ZhhQeudY

I'll let others sort out which transfers are the best 
popcorn.gif

May 30, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #56 of 69
May 30, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #57 of 69
The problem with the late recording is that the man had utterly lost the virtuosity of his youth, and Rach 3 is a piece (like Tchaik 1, of which Ms. Argerich is the reigning champion) demands youthful virtuosity. Listen to the final run down the keyboard of the finale in the recording to which I alluded and compare it against that of his old age—you will see what I mean.

May 30, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #58 of 69
The problem with the late recording is that the man had utterly lost the virtuosity of his youth, and Rach 3 is a piece (like Tchaik 1, of which Ms. Argerich is the reigning champion) demands youthful virtuosity. Listen to the final run down the keyboard of the finale in the recording to which I alluded and compare it against that of his old age—you will see what I mean.

Oh I agree he did not have the speed of youth. It's more lyrical than dynamic. His 1930's performance is famous. Fidelity?

Jul 10, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #59 of 69
Good for 1930 lol. If you expect 1980s sound from 1930, you will be disappointed. It's clear enough, but by no means enjoyable as sound quality.

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #60 of 69
Good for 1930 lol. If you expect 1980s sound from 1930, you will be disappointed. It's clear enough, but by no means enjoyable as sound quality.

Whaaat? You mean they did not have 24 bit Digital recorders in 1930?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back