Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano Concerto
Feb 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #31 of 69
Quote:
Quote:

Originally posted by Luvya
Need I say more? Horowitz and Argerich
smily_headphones1.gif

Argerich's skill on this piece is absolutely unmatched. Amazing. I have a seperate iPod for classical music, but this is the one classical piece I carry on my everyday iPod.

Argerich's skill is in fact not so good on this piece. She rushes through at a ridiculous pace and hits wrong notes everywhere in the third movement. 

You should listen to Horowitz's debut recording, now that's something :D

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #32 of 69
1-Rachmaninoff - Rachmaninov Concerto No.3 - Vladimir Horowitz
RCA (1978)

2-Rachmaninoff - Rachmaninov Piano Concer Tos Nos.1 & 3 - Nikolai Lugansky, Cbso, Sakari Oramo
Warner Classics (2003)

These are two versions I have. both are remarkable. In the liner notes for The Horowitz cd it indicates he trained for this performance like an athlete.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #34 of 69
For me, I absolutely love:

Byron Janis
Antal Dorati conducting
Label is Mercury

Man, is this thread old..........

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #35 of 69
Thread revival!
I have Ashkenazy, Lang-Lang, and Garrick Ohlsson (who I heard live at the San Francisco Symphony). Fantastic performance! His CD was recorded and mastered in DSD format-then released on CD-not SACD. Sonically, I prefer the Lang Lang-although I prefer Ohlsson's performance. Yesterday, I heard Rachmaninov playing the 3rd-on a Friend's Spotify while driving. WOW! Hiss, distortion-of course-but I was really moved by the performance. I had been playing the Lang Lang in the car-when she said- "listen to THIS performance!" Now, I can't listen to Lang Lang. :)
After reading the thread-I'll be looking for Horowitz. Can anyone recommend the cleanest original recording of Rachmaninoff playing the 3rd?
Thanks!
Eric

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #36 of 69
I recently got this version of a live recording :

Rachmaninoff, Berlin, 1982, Chailly
Tchaikovsky, Munich 1980, Kondrashin
I am not sure if this is the same as the earlier version on Philips, the cover picture looks the same.
Anyway the sound of this K2 version is just sublime, I kicked the volume up quite a bit and there is at no time any harshness from any instrument, neither violins, nor brass and of course also not from the piano. What a delight!

51uBkFs1HDL.jpg

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #37 of 69
Thanks Icebear,
I'll look for that one. I've Ashkenazy, Ohlsson, and Lang Lang (SACD). In order I like Ohlsson, Ashkenazy. Lang Lang a distant 3rd. Sound quality is LL, Ohlsson, and Ashkenazy a distant 3rd.
Ohlsson was recorded and mastered in DSD so if no SACD I hope for a DSD DL.
To my ears LL does not make it sound like a coherent whole work. Ohlsson and Ashkenazy do. The strings can be "edgy and grainy" on the Ashkenazy. It's an old CD. Hopefully there was a better mastering and a new release.
BTW: Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto 1 on the Lang Lang disk is very good in my opinion.
quote name="icebear" url="/t/47019/rachmaninoffs-3rd-piano-concerto/30#post_11476739"]I recently got this version of a live recording :

Rachmaninoff, Berlin, 1982, Chailly
Tchaikovsky, Munich 1980, Kondrashin
I am not sure if this is the same as the earlier version on Philips, the cover picture looks the same.
Anyway the sound of this K2 version is just sublime, I kicked the volume up quite a bit and there is at no time any harshness from any instrument, neither violins, nor brass and of course also not from the piano. What a delight!

51uBkFs1HDL.jpg

[/quote]

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #38 of 69
Volodos and Levine Berlin Philharmonic. Fast tempo. Excellent fidelity. I think I lean more towards Garrick Ohlsson's interpretation

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #39 of 69
Volodos and Levine Berlin Philharmonic. Fast tempo. Excellent fidelity. I think I lean more towards Garrick Ohlsson's interpretation

I heard the Volodos recording right after the Argerich version I mentioned above and these are pretty different. Of course Martha being herself this is as bold and energetic as can be and she takes a few liberties acc. to the liner notes in the booklet referring to "improvisation" in some parts. I can't comment on the latter as I am not listening with the score in front of me, trying to be a beckmesser and find mistakes
wink.gif
. For me the Argerich interpretation is highly emotional and got me some tears. The Volodos version is also mighty forceful but comes across all the time as being controlled and held back. I have seen a documentary portrait of Volodos and he seems almost zen master like, in balance with nature, loves walking in the forrest etc... Very good if you like the style. Most likely more accurate to the score but much less high on emotion than Argerich.

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #40 of 69
I heard the Volodos recording right after the Argerich version I mentioned above and these are pretty different. Of course Martha being herself this is as bold and energetic as can be and she takes a few liberties acc. to the liner notes in the booklet referring to "improvisation" in some parts. I can't comment on the latter as I am not listening with the score in front of me, trying to be a beckmesser and find mistakes :wink: . For me the Argerich interpretation is highly emotional and got me some tears. The Volodos version is also mighty forceful but comes across all the time as being controlled and held back. I have seen a documentary portrait of Volodos and he seems almost zen master like, in balance with nature, loves walking in the forrest etc... Very good if you like the style. Most likely more accurate to the score but much less high on emotion than Argerich.

I'm about to hear Garrick Ohllsson live. I prefer his Rach 3rd.

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #41 of 69
I heard the Volodos recording right after the Argerich version I mentioned above and these are pretty different. Of course Martha being herself this is as bold and energetic as can be and she takes a few liberties acc. to the liner notes in the booklet referring to "improvisation" in some parts. I can't comment on the latter as I am not listening with the score in front of me, trying to be a beckmesser and find mistakes :wink: . For me the Argerich interpretation is highly emotional and got me some tears. The Volodos version is also mighty forceful but comes across all the time as being controlled and held back. I have seen a documentary portrait of Volodos and he seems almost zen master like, in balance with nature, loves walking in the forrest etc... Very good if you like the style. Most likely more accurate to the score but much less high on emotion than Argerich.

I was heading in to the theater to hear Garrick Ohlsson play Scriabin so I did not get a chance to respond properly.
That's a pretty persuasive argument for getting the Agerich recording! I also found the Volodos a little TOO mellow for this very passionate music. His tempo was but I found him too restrained. Ohlsson plays with more passion.
Tonight I was about 15 feet from the piano and had a side view of his performance. Fantastic! He seems to be a nice guy from my brief chat with him. He was in a small venue playing Scrabin to mark the centennial. He played all but one from memory

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #43 of 69

Hi Icebear
I've got the Argerich CD and the 1978 Horowitz. I love his style! He does mess up once that I caught.
I'll listen to Argerich again. Seems to need some EQ so I'll play with that. Not the best recording! Unless there are more than one?

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #44 of 69
Hi Icebear
I've got the Argerich CD and the 1978 Horowitz. I love his style! He does mess up once that I caught.
I'll listen to Argerich again. Seems to need some EQ so I'll play with that. Not the best recording! Unless there are more than one?

Have you gotten the K2HD remastered version of the Argerich recording that I mentioned above?
On my set up the sound is pure bliss, as perfect as I can imagine. So I'd be surprised if that does sound obviously sub par for you.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #45 of 69

Have you gotten the K2HD remastered version of the Argerich recording that I mentioned above?
On my set up the sound is pure bliss, as perfect as I can imagine. So I'd be surprised if that does sound obviously sub par for you.

Hi Icebear
Of course I forgot and got the Amazon CD-not the remaster! Duh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back