Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Feb 13, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #7,651 of 7,847
Yeah... the SAEQ Hyperion Ge is an excellent amp. Powerful yet nuanced and lush. I love it not just with the RAAL ribbon HPs but also with dynamic and planar HPs. It is not just great with the Abyss 1266, HE-6, Susvara, LCD4, D8000 but also with the ATH woodies. :)
Hi Kiats I read your postings about your experiences with the Raal’s and the SAEQ amps but I don’t remember seeing the VM1 otherwise I would have included you on my previous question. Did you by any chance hear the ZMF Caldera with the Hyperion?

Feb 14, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #7,652 of 7,847
Hi Kiats I read your postings about your experiences with the Raal’s and the SAEQ amps but I don’t remember seeing the VM1 otherwise I would have included you on my previous question. Did you by any chance hear the ZMF Caldera with the Hyperion?
No worries. Ah.. I don't have the ZMF Caldera. :)

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #7,654 of 7,847
I apologize for being off topic.I have been using sr-1b with TI-1c interface being driven by my airtight ATM 300b SET amp for the last year.

one word NIRVANA!!...it really is a spectacular combo.
The new amp being developed by Solaja for the Magna and Immanis is a 300b but is specifically being developed for use with the 32Ohm interface.

Feb 14, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #7,655 of 7,847
Hi everybody,

as part of all the amp discussions, I am selling my HSA1b - switching to Riviera AIC in the classifieds section

Feb 14, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #7,656 of 7,847
When I tried CA-1a/SR1a I liked them slightly more utilizing the direct connection from HSA-1b over AIC via the box but I guess that for any other headphones the AIC starts showing its sonic advantage, besides, it looks nice.

Feb 14, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #7,657 of 7,847
I apologize for being off topic.I have been using sr-1b with TI-1c interface being driven by my airtight ATM 300b SET amp for the last year.

one word NIRVANA!!...it really is a spectacular combo.
That's a great amp. I had an ATM-300R with a pair of WE 300B's in it. Wonderful music came from it.

Feb 17, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #7,659 of 7,847
So what makes these "direct" amps direct anyway? Don't they still have output transformers meaning the signal passes through a transformer anyway like when using the TI-1b?

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #7,661 of 7,847
You plug your headphone cable directly into the amp, direct-drive, very complex, not an easy subject to master. Took me 2 years to understand.
Lol yes, I realize it connects directly to the amp, what I'm wondering is if there's some fundamental difference in the amplifier architecture or is it essentially a "normal" amp with a transformer interface built in (instead of using a T1-1b externally)

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #7,663 of 7,847
So what makes these "direct" amps direct anyway? Don't they still have output transformers meaning the signal passes through a transformer anyway like when using the TI-1b?
Depends.

The Solid State- (transistor-) Amps are really directly coupled.

For transistors it’s relatively easy to deliver the necessary high current (ca. 5 to 15 A).
A single pair of power transistors per channel can do that, running them on low supply voltage, power loss is reasonable.

Tubes need a transformation of their high voltage / low current into low voltage / high current.
A single power tube can deliver just a few 100 mA at best, and needs to be run on high voltage for that.
And a tube has a heater permanently running.

The power loss of a true direct drive tube amp would be high enough to heat a smaller house.
Not to mention the price for the ca. 50-100 power tubes needed.

On ribbon direct drive tube amps, their internal transformers can be designed for exactly the purpose of driving a ribbon, perfectly fitting to the tubes used.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #7,664 of 7,847
Thanks guys. Interestingly the VM1 has the "disadvantage" of having an output transformer and that's widely regarded as the best ribbon amp. Seems the right pairing of tube speaker amp + TI-1b should be able to get close in performance to the VM1. Furthermore Alex even has stated having two smaller transformers can have benefits such as lower parasitic inductance (such as two 10:1 transformers vs a single 100:1) and in theory the TI-1b could perform better than a direct drive amp because of this.

Feb 17, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #7,665 of 7,847
HSA has a 0.68 Ohms ballast resistor and it's designed to drive a total of 1 Ohm, and the VM has an output transformer with 0.3 Ohm output (correctly said: a transformer that requires 0.3 Ohm load at the secondary, to present 4k to the anodes).

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back