Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 25, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #7,516 of 7,847
Raal3ribbon.jpeg

Ahhh, I just love that Raal SR1 does not touch my face/ears, which is why it gets much more use than Abyss 1266 TC. Three ribbons...but touches face.

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #7,519 of 7,847
Jan 26, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #7,520 of 7,847
Jan 26, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #7,521 of 7,847
Those already "invested" in Raal, are able to purchase the Immanis for "only" €6470 EUR.
Maybe on the next batch.
Still waiting for my Star8 to try out with the SR1b (still in the "honeymoon" period with it :)).

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #7,522 of 7,847
Those already "invested" in Raal, are able to purchase the Immanis for "only" €6470 EUR.
Maybe on the next batch.
Still waiting for my Star8 to try out with the SR1b (still in the "honeymoon" period with it :)).
Is that a discount for the package, or the price for the naked headphone?

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #7,523 of 7,847
Is that a discount for the package, or the price for the naked headphone?
I assume it's the price for the naked headphone.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #7,525 of 7,847
For the folks with the VM-1a, do you remember how many hours were needed with the VM-1a before it sonically settled? I had a prior VM-1a about 2 years ago, but I no longer remember.

I am doing a apples-to-apples comparison of the VM-1a with the Schitt stack I got to replace it. The Schitt stack now replaces the Jotunhiem R that I sold. This new VM-1a, likely with low hours, is only about 10% better than the Schitt stack. This is what I have been saying for a while, but that was only on memory. I am now able to do a hands-on test.
The DAC has 3 live outputs, and the 2 RCA outputs go into the VM-1a and the Mjolnir. I have a Benchmark cable that takes the RCA from the YGGI+ and goes into the XLR input of the VM-1a. I cannot use XLR on the Aegir since I only have 1 single stereo Aegir. I need Aegir monos for XLR. I do not think the RCA-to-XLR conversion is going to be bad, especially from Benchmark.

As I type this (listening to Soundgarden) and more focused on the writing, I cannot tell what I have selected to hook up the CA-1a too. So close sonically, but the VM-1a is a bit better. I will put about 100 hours on this setup before I reach any conclusions. Does the VM-1a go far ahead?

I also have a Benchmark AHB2 that is sitting idle in my office, and I can hook that up to the XLR output of the Mjolnir. I just need to get this cable to make my life easier.
https://raalrequisite.com/product/banana-interconnect-cables/

I expect the AHB2 to be even better than the Class A Aegir.

BTW - I had Danny listen to my modded PeachTree GAN1 recently. The one I rave about. Unfortunately, the GAN1 was sitting idle for a while since I did not have my Star8 cable. When Danny heard it may have needed about a day of playback (not sure). I will give the GAN1 more hours soon and compare. However, Danny thought it sounded like just another amp. I am way more positive, so I want to see if I am wrong. I will compare to the VM. When in doubt go with Danny''s opinion on sound.

That tube cover for the VM-1a is no longer available.
IMG_1775.jpg
IMG_1776.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #7,526 of 7,847
Maybe on the next batch.
That does sound enticing. Sold my Star8 cable a few months ago. Grrrr.

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #7,527 of 7,847
I have no idea what is wrong with my SR, but something is wrong. I can't tell if it's the cable or the ribbon. I keep getting mixed findings. It's not my hearing, as other headphones don't have this problem. I guess I'll just send everything to Raal. Maybe they can isolate the issue. Sucks I gotta pay shipping for all that, but it is to be expected I guess. Nobody pays for shipping other than Antipodes (which was awesome of them) 🤷‍♂️

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #7,529 of 7,847
Depends which speakers amp your using and how comfortable it is running in 32 ohms. Most speakers amps are dailed to work their best at 4/8 ohms (sometimes 16 ohms). Therefore, it makes sense to use the 16 ohm input and not the 32 with most speaker amps.
I had forgotten which TI-1b output works best with my Schitt stack, so I had to do testing on that all over again. I found the 16 Ohm connection was noticeably better. A search on this thread shows similar sentiment. Should have just searched first.

As I am trying to work in the VM-1a, I am comparing it to the TI-1b (16 Ohm). It is so close. The VM-1a is a bit more relaxed and cleaner but the slightly rougher sounding Schitt stack maybe preferred on some music. At this early point on the VM-1a, the VM-1a is better but not that much better.

One reason I bought the VM-1a again is that I think it will shine with the new phones, which are said to be like the SR1a and CA-1a mixed together. I shall see.

Of note is how hot the Class A Schitt stack gets. The preamp and amp combine to be almost as hot as the VM-1a.

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #7,530 of 7,847
As I am trying to work in the VM-1a, I am comparing it to the TI-1b (16 Ohm). It is so close. The VM-1a is a bit more relaxed and cleaner but the slightly rougher sounding Schitt stack maybe preferred on some music. At this early point on the VM-1a, the VM-1a is better but not that much better.

I agree... This was great of you to say! Especially for those who were on the fence about getting a VM-1a or thought they were missing something. I think most would be hard-pressed to hear the difference between TI-1b and the VM-1a... Especially in ultra linear mode.

... My only wish for the VM-1a... Would be that it had a output for conventional headphones like the HSA.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back