Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
May 15, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #6,661 of 7,847
Oh yes! I also picked up the 10 foot Star8 cable. Now listening to the CA-1a off the Jot R. Any thoughts how long burn in is for this cable?

Another question for @Aleksandar R. : would the 6 foot Star8 cable out from the TI-1b bring the same benefits even if the ITI-XLR cable remains stock?

Now to settle down to my listening session. :)

IMG_6711.jpeg

May 15, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #6,662 of 7,847
Imagine my delight today when Wilson from Jaben Singapore pinged me to tell me that the SR-1b and CA-1a has arrived at the store.

I popped by to help Wilson set up the Schitt Jot R set up as well as the TI-1b set up. So that it is all ready for anyone who wishes to try out the SR-1b and CA-1a. On a direct drive amp like the Jot R as well as off the TI-1b. :) Exciting times!

Wilson was quite blown away by the RAAL Requisite ribbon HPs, as I had promised he would be. :)

b01a0aa6-8147-4c3f-8bff-7e2bcfca9a63.jpegIMG_6705.jpegIMG_6706.jpeg
Thanks for the update, how much is that combo at Jaben?
I auditioned the first fully open SR1A RAAL at another shop upstairs at the Adelphi but would possibly be more interested in the new cupped one.
Do you know if it would work with a Benchmark HGC 2 HPA headphone amp which is the travel-friendly amp I normally used when travelling around in SE-Asia with my Sennheiser HD800 and HEKV2 before Covid. Cheers Christer

May 15, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #6,663 of 7,847
I auditioned the first fully open SR1A RAAL at another shop upstairs at the Adelphi but would possibly be more interested in the new cupped one.
Do you know if it would work with a Benchmark HGC 2 HPA headphone amp which is the travel-friendly amp I normally used when travelling around in SE-Asia with my Sennheiser HD800 and HEKV2 before Covid. Cheers Christer
No idea yet. Cos the stock just came in to Jaben this afternoon. I am sure Wilson will have prices and packages available soon. Yes, the CA-1a is available.

How many W @32 ohm does the Benchmark amp output? I recall you need 2-6 W for the TI-1b to work its best.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #6,664 of 7,847
Running the SR-1a with the Start 8 cable out of the Jot R, using the multi bit DAC card with USB out from the iFi Zen Stream as NAA on HQPlayer. Excellent! So detailed yet nuanced. And controlled. Very pleased with the Star8 cable. :)

IMG_2133.png

May 15, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #6,665 of 7,847
Not sure if this answers your question but I run my SR-1b phones using the TI-1b transformer interface out of my Benchmark HPA4 amp. It outputs 6W into 16 ohms and 3.5W into 32 ohms, plenty of power. Best sound of any amp/phones combo I have heard.

May 15, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #6,666 of 7,847
Running the SR-1a with the Start 8 cable out of the Jot R, using the multi bit DAC card with USB out from the iFi Zen Stream as NAA on HQPlayer. Excellent! So detailed yet nuanced. And controlled. Very pleased with the Star8 cable. :)

IMG_2133.png
Love Tracy Chapman... Especially on the SR1a. Her natural vibrato is unmatched on any other headphone system I've heard.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #6,667 of 7,847
Love Tracy Chapman... Especially on the SR1a. Her natural vibrato is unmatched on any other headphone system I've heard.
Indeed! Especially the last track where she did Stand By Me live with just a guitar. Spine tingling stuff! :)

May 15, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #6,668 of 7,847

IMG_2133.png

Good music. :)

May 16, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #6,669 of 7,847
Yes, the TI-1c is new for 2023.

Instead of 32/16 ohms, it loads the amp with 8 or 4 Ohms.

For example, if you have, say, 10W w 5% THD at 8 Ohms, it doesn't mean you will have 5W w 5% THD at 16 Ohms (unless it has the 16 ohms dedicated output).
They usually don't have feedback to keep things firmly in check and distortion may rise or fall, the result is not guaranteed, as it depends on idle current and anode voltage choice that designer had made.

Also, the output transformer for all tube amps, not just SETs, has the primary inductance that is designed to couple their primary impedance above certain low frequency. That is how the low-end -3dB point is defined.
For example, if a SET amp transformer makes 3k at the primary (the anode load) for 8 ohms at the secondary, it will make 6k if you plug in 16 ohms to the same secondary, but the primary inductance remains fixed so the transformer will "couple" the bass one octave higher, so the bass gets leaner.
If you plug in 32 Ohms at the same secondary, you will move the -3dB point two octaves higher...

So, in order to correctly load the small power tube amps, SET or PP, we had to come up with 8/4 ohms TI box.

If the amp has a designated 16 Ohms output, then TI-1b is doing the job, you don't need the C version.
i'll be receiving the new ti-1c interface for my airtight ATM 300b set amp tomorrow.Huge thank you to everybody at RAAL.

May 16, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #6,670 of 7,847
Oh yes! I also picked up the 10 foot Star8 cable. Now listening to the CA-1a off the Jot R. Any thoughts how long burn in is for this cable?

Another question for @Aleksandar R. : would the 6 foot Star8 cable out from the TI-1b bring the same benefits even if the ITI-XLR cable remains stock?

Now to settle down to my listening session. :)

IMG_6711.jpeg
No burn in needed, as the annealing cycles we do with that Silver after it was wound into a cable, sets it's crystalline structure and it's sound to what we wanted to get.
Usually, Silver needs 30-60 days to relax after work-hardening it (drawing, bending, twisting...), but not in this case.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
May 16, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #6,671 of 7,847
Not sure if this answers your question but I run my SR-1b phones using the TI-1b transformer interface out of my Benchmark HPA4 amp. It outputs 6W into 16 ohms and 3.5W into 32 ohms, plenty of power. Best sound of any amp/phones combo I have heard.
Thanks , but it seems mine will not be powerful enough with the TI 1-b .And the HPA 4 is NOT travel friendly. Too big.
I wouldn't mind trying it at home but nor did I like the touch screen on that one. Mine is good enough for both HEKV2 and HD800 and fits easily into a carry on backpack with both headphones and my Qutest/Mscaler. Anyone know of a travel -friendly amp in Studio Quality SQ class as both Benchmark amps?
I bought mine having heard it as monitoring headphone amp at DXD classical music recording sessions.
I listen only to acoustic instruments music and would need an amp that can do both full orchestral dynamics and instrumental timbres justice.
During my first audition full scale orchestral dynamics fff was the aspect where SR-1A fell short with the amping used in that shop I hope and guess. Even my HD800 outdid it in that respect on that occasion.
But at lower levels and not so densely scored music on a smaller scale than a large orchestra the sheer openness was wonderful.

May 16, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #6,672 of 7,847
Hi, am going to give the Milo amp from Wells Audio a try soon. It's gotten some good reviews and is quite powerful. A few members use it, maybe they'll see your question.

May 16, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #6,674 of 7,847
No burn in needed, as the annealing cycles we do with that Silver after it was wound into a cable, sets it's crystalline structure and it's sound to what we wanted to get.
Usually, Silver needs 30-60 days to relax after work-hardening it (drawing, bending, twisting...), but not in this case.
Thanks Alex! I thought so. It sounds gorgeous! Extra details and nuances without a hint of glare. Very very pleased! 😆

May 16, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #6,675 of 7,847
Hi, am going to give the Milo amp from Wells Audio a try soon. It's gotten some good reviews and is quite powerful. A few members use it, maybe they'll see your question.
If this was intended as a response to my post above thanks.But if i will be interested in getting the CA1 at all, I would need a more portable amp. The Milo is good but too heavy and bulky to fit in my carry-on backpack.
Searching further the Centrance Ampersand battery powered smallish portable headphone amp looks like it has enough power for CA1 .Some even use it with Susvara. Milo is a desktop amp.
Grüss Gott.
Christer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back