Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Mar 13, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #6,391 of 7,883
The convoluted method is have two XLR switch/selector boxes (1 in + 2/3 out, and 2/3 in + 1 out to amp), and the OB adaptors on one set of cables between the boxes. then select accordingly. lol.. I don't think you'd go down this route..
You may find the "need" for the filters is dac dependent - at least I did.

To recount: was happy with the Raal presentation on multiple ESS9018-based dacs, but tried the filters away, finding a slight2moderate improvement in detail. However, on the 9038 D90SE, there as a very strong midrange emphasis without the filters (night and day, easily blindly identified) which the filters did a nice job of removing, while preserving some increased detail. BTW the producer, Mitch provides excellent support.

Mar 13, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #6,392 of 7,883
With the open grille design of the Sr1a, there tends to be a bit of build up of dust/residue that within them. Has anyone removed them to try and clean or for any other reason? I want to remove them and do so, but safely. When I first owned them I didn't keep them in their case often, which I do now.

Mar 13, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #6,393 of 7,883
Not sure how rugged (or not) that ribbon is. I think the only reference I've seen to a damaged ribbon on these was someone trying to remove one to examine it. When not in use I keep mine on a stand with a plastic bag over it but open all along the bottom to allow for airflow to prevent moisture acumulation. I have piss poor installation of the duct work for the HVAC filters where I am and dust buildup is a problem. But I never heard a change in sound over a couple of years (purchased Oct 2019). I move next month to a brand new apartment with all new HVAC. Hopefully I'll have less dust to deal with there. That being said, I would think a tremendous amount of dust clogging the grill-work would be needed to impair the sound or cause damage. Interesting to hear of other SR1a owners on any issues over time.

1678716691757.png

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #6,394 of 7,883
Good idea. I just keep my SR-1b and Ti-1b in a desk drawer sitting on some bubble wrap to prevent the accumulation of dust on the ribbon drivers. If Danny doesn't weigh in here I would give him a call to get his take on what dust could do to the sound.

Mar 13, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #6,395 of 7,883
Not sure how rugged (or not) that ribbon is. I think the only reference I've seen to a damaged ribbon on these was someone trying to remove one to examine it. When not in use I keep mine on a stand with a plastic bag over it but open all along the bottom to allow for airflow to prevent moisture acumulation. I have piss poor installation of the duct work for the HVAC filters where I am and dust buildup is a problem. But I never heard a change in sound over a couple of years (purchased Oct 2019). I move next month to a brand new apartment with all new HVAC. Hopefully I'll have less dust to deal with there. That being said, I would think a tremendous amount of dust clogging the grill-work would be needed to impair the sound or cause damage. Interesting to hear of other SR1a owners on any issues over time.

1678716691757.png

Yea I haven't had any issue with my pair, the sound hasn't changed at all, just would like to clean them up a bit. Again, now I just keep them in their case, and I should have from the beginning. I'm also now using the stax covers on most of my headphones. A shame that these beauties need to be covered.

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #6,396 of 7,883
Removing the ribbons is super-easy. Danny and David emailed me a video showing how. I tried attaching it here, but it's not an allowed format. You just turn the driver out until the top of it clears the half-cylinder shaped metal attachment point just above where the driver attaches to the headband, stick your fingernail under the edge of the carbon fiber top plate on the driver, and lift up. Slides right out. Danny told me that gently blowing on the ribbon (once removed), or even going over it very lightly with a Q-tip, is fine. If you find creases in the ribbon when you remove them, just blow on them--they snap right back into shape.

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #6,397 of 7,883
Removing the ribbons is super-easy. Danny and David emailed me a video showing how. I tried attaching it here, but it's not an allowed format. You just turn the driver out until the top of it clears the half-cylinder shaped metal attachment point just above where the driver attaches to the headband, stick your fingernail under the edge of the carbon fiber top plate on the driver, and lift up. Slides right out. Danny told me that gently blowing on the ribbon (once removed), or even going over it very lightly with a Q-tip, is fine. If you find creases in the ribbon when you remove them, just blow on them--they snap right back into shape.

Thank you! I will try this. They intended to send me a video as well, but they couldn't send it via email. I may reach back out again, but thanks for the tip, sounds pretty easy. Thank you again!

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #6,398 of 7,883
Hopefully these still photos help.

PXL_20230313_211513594.jpg

PXL_20230313_211545249.jpg

Mar 13, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #6,399 of 7,883
Mar 13, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #6,400 of 7,883
Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 15, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #6,401 of 7,883
The ribbon itself does not collect dust.
Leave it in, it CAN be damaged if handled wrong.
No one wants crinkles in the ribbon.

No vaccuum cleaner, air blow or such should be used for cleaning the outside of the panels.
The ribbon is suspended very lightly only, to achieve a good bass response.

A very soft brush can be used to remove dust from the outside, but don‘t poke through the foam covers.

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #6,402 of 7,883
The ribbon itself does not collect dust.
Leave it in, it CAN be damaged if handled wrong.
No one wants crinkles in the ribbon.

No vaccuum cleaner, air blow or such should be used for cleaning the outside of the panels.
The ribbon is suspended very lightly only, to achieve a good bass response.

A very soft brush can be used to remove dust from the outside, but don‘t poke through the foam covers.
I agree there would rarely if ever be a need to clean the ribbons. They're more durable than you might think as long as one uses some care, though. Mine are still going strong.

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #6,404 of 7,883
Been listening to QQ Music streaming via QPlay into the iFi NEO Stream out via USB into the multibit DAC card in the Jot R. And then the SR-1a. It’s a nice change from the iFi NEO Stream DAC and the Bricasti M1. A bit lower in volume. But still enjoyable. :)

I do enjoy the versatility that the TI-1b and the Jot R offers, with different input. :)

Mar 19, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #6,405 of 7,883
Screenshot_20230319_142414_Roon_1.jpg

this album is fantastic on the sr1b + vm1a.

ultralinear mode, no filters.

20230319142642_0N1A0240-01.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back