Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 10, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #5,416 of 7,885
What you are saying is the CFA3 is the perfect thing. :wink:
That beast now becomes usable with R-r headphones.
That was the whole point of the TI, to make much more amps usable.
(here comes a rhetorical question)
Is it better to cling on to a small technical superiority of resistors, or open up the possibility of using a variety of amplifier topologies?

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Jun 10, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #5,417 of 7,885
Is it better to cling on to a small technical superiority of resistors, or open up the possibility of using a variety of amplifier topologies?
I'm reminded, my childhood hero, a real superstar, incredible quip. Might just change your life as it did mine.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #5,418 of 7,885
Oh no question the TI is far more flexible and opens up the range of available usability scenarios due to higher sensitivity.

But we're audio geeks and I have the modded RI box left over, so there you go.

Even if it does measure better (which I have no empirical evidence for at this time), I doubt it will mean you get a massive push for RI boxes, haha. If some people still want them, it just means the old RI boxes have some value and won't be a throwaway item!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #5,420 of 7,885
One other total noob question. I've used the amp with a range of dynamics and planars and it sounds amazing. Yesterday, just for fun, I plugged in my Sony monitor (MDR-CD900ST) into the 1/4 jack, and heard an audible buzzing. Went back to my Focal Clear, sounds fine. Sennheiser HD650, silent. AKG K361, buzzing again.

Any idea what could be the cause? Both the Sony and the AKG are sensitive headphones that certainly don't need an amp, but the Focal Clear is as well, and yet that one is clean.
According to my own measurement, the sony monitor ‘phones all have about 10 dB more voltage sensitivity than the Focal Clear, and 20 dB more than the Sennheiser HD 650.
I can’t comment on your AKG, as I don’t have it.

So the Sony brings up the amp’s residual noise by up to 20 dB, that’s a lot.
You maybe could hear a faint buzz with the Focal Clear too.

Isn’t it, you have to bring the Volume control down by much when using the Sony?

The HSA1b simply is constructed to work best with ribbons, and low sensitivity planars and dynamics.
For the Sony and AKG you could use a passive attenuator, like it’s available for IEM’s.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #5,422 of 7,885
The sony monitor ‘phones have about 10 dB more voltage sensitivity than the Focal Clear, and almost 20 dB more rhan the Sennheiser HD 650.
I can’t comment on your AKG, as I don’t have it.

So the Sony brings up the amps residual noise by up to 20 dB, that’s a lot.
You maybe could hear a faint buzz with the Focal Clear too.

Isn’t it, you have to bring the Volume control down by much when using the Sony?

the HSA1b simply is constructed to work best with ribbons, amd low sensitivity planars and dynamics.
Thanks, both the Sony and the AKG are headphones that have no need for an amp. I just wasn't sure if this was a defect, or just normal operation.

Jun 11, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #5,423 of 7,885
What DACs do the RAAL guys use?

@Aleksandar R.
On my bench, I have a Benchmark DAC3L and Schiit Bifrost. For trade shows, I travel with (3) RME ADI-2 FS.
After Chicago CanJam, I expect to audition the Bricasti M3 as possible replacement for the RMEs. RME is good but, with wall-wart supply and multiple small screen pages for settings, I find it too fidgety to mess with at shows.
If anyone has a good DAC recommendation please let me know.

Jun 11, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #5,425 of 7,885
On my bench, I have a Benchmark DAC3L and Schiit Bifrost. For trade shows, I travel with (3) RME ADI-2 FS.
After Chicago CanJam, I expect to audition the Bricasti M3 as possible replacement for the RMEs. RME is good but, with wall-wart supply and multiple small screen pages for settings, I find it too fidgety to mess with at shows.
If anyone has a good DAC recommendation please let me know.
I heard the VM-1a with the Benchmark DAC3. I have also heard the VM-1a with the Musetec 005 DAC, which is a great DAC. However, I liked the sharper sounding DAC3B over the slightly warmer 005 on the VM-1a.

On my 2-channel gear the Musetec 005 is incredible. II have no desire to replace the 005 on my 2-channel.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #5,426 of 7,885
I've been using the RME and very happy with it. I've tried pricier DACs, and they sound way better. Then I enlist my wife to help me run a blind test and all of a sudden they sound the same. So I've given up on upgrading my DAC -- the advantage of having these ancient 43 year old ears, I guess.
You make a great point. Blind listening is very revealing of our potential biases.
I find the RME performance to be very good, certainly good enough for trade shows, just a bit too tweaky when there is so much happening at the booth.

Jun 11, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #5,427 of 7,885
I think the VM-1a sounds best with a

I heard the VM-1a with the Benchmark DAC3. I have also heard the VM-1a with the Musetec 005 DAC, which is a great DAC. However, I liked the sharper sounding DAC3B over the slightly warmer 005 on the VM-1a.

On my 2-channel gear the Musetec 005 is incredible. II have no desire to replace the 005 on my 2-channel.
I really like the Musetec, as well. Smooth and open. Didn't have enough time to actually live with it but, suspect I'd be very happy with that and VM. At the shop, I hear the DAC3L with a VM everyday. Always a 1st class listen.

Jun 11, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #5,429 of 7,885
Is the Ferrum OOR a good match for the new Raal TI?
It has 8W output power at 60 ohms.

I personaly prefer warmer tilt with sr1a. In that same price range I would probabaly go og liquid gold or tube

Users who are viewing this thread

Back