Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 9, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #5,386 of 7,888
Likely??? Pitting, no less???How did you figure that out? Same like assuming our cable is bad, so you want to make your own?
I'm OK, thank you. I just get agitated with assumptions, sometimes. Sorry about dropping a teenage rant on you.

The headspring is made of spring stainless steel 301. See here about applications and corrosion resistance. : https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6807
So, that should be good enough for corrosion resistance in coastal areas.
I don't think if anyone in their right mind, having any level of technical prowess, would use a regular steel without any paint, on any product, but still, you assumed I did, so that triggered me off. It felt like you're considering me an idiot. I know that what i felt is wrong, so sorry about that, too.

As for the claim of white powder on leather in relationship with that stand, I would first assume dandruff, then mechanical scratching of primer paint, or Zinc oxide from plating, but the last thing would be corrosion by contact of two dissimilar metals, especially in room conditions without presence of dew.
Even if that would be the case, I would not paint over a perfectly good looking bead blasted S-S. I'd rather recommend using wooden stand. Don't like wood? Perfectly fine. In the same way, I don't like painting non corrosive metals.

I really don't listen to anything else when in development phase. I finished that before Munich High-End, so got free of that rule and got to listen a lot of stuff and form the opinion about it.
It's not correct on my part to post here what I've found to be the deficiencies in sound of other manufacturer's flagship products, so it's best for me to say "I don't know" or "Mine will fare better". That kinda' conveys my confidence in my product, but doesn't sound dismissive to other people's products, because it really isn't what I feel about those products. I actually admire certain solutions in certain products very much.

So, without disclosing what I have listened to in Munich, I'll stick to explaining technical differences.
I just happen to know certain advantages of the working regime of a True Ribbon -the way we make it, compared to working regimes of Planars that are clamped over their whole circumference. It's about the necessary acoustical resistance you must use, and that defines dynamic compression in bass.
Another thing is that smooth leather pads are bad for midrange. It's an acoustical fact. There are some workarounds, but it's not enough to remove the problem. the bigger question is if the workaround is good and costs equally to make, why it hasn't been implemented in cheaper products, but just on a flagship?
I'm OK, thank you. I just get agitated with assumptions, sometimes. Sorry about dropping a teenage rant on you.

The headspring is made of spring stainless steel 301. See here about applications and corrosion resistance. : https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6807
So, that should be good enough for corrosion resistance in coastal areas.
I don't think if anyone in their right mind, having any level of technical prowess, would use a regular steel without any paint, on any product, but still, you assumed I did, so that triggered me off. It felt like you're considering me an idiot. I know that what i felt is wrong, so sorry about that, too.

As for the claim of white powder on leather in relationship with that stand, I would first assume dandruff, then mechanical scratching of primer paint, or Zinc oxide from plating, but the last thing would be corrosion by contact of two dissimilar metals, especially in room conditions without presence of dew.
Even if that would be the case, I would not paint over a perfectly good looking bead blasted S-S. I'd rather recommend using wooden stand. Don't like wood? Perfectly fine. In the same way, I don't like painting non corrosive metals.

I really don't listen to anything else when in development phase. I finished that before Munich High-End, so got free of that rule and got to listen a lot of stuff and form the opinion about it.
It's not correct on my part to post here what I've found to be the deficiencies in sound of other manufacturer's flagship products, so it's best for me to say "I don't know" or "Mine will fare better". That kinda' conveys my confidence in my product, but doesn't sound dismissive to other people's products, because it really isn't what I feel about those products. I actually admire certain solutions in certain products very much.

So, without disclosing what I have listened to in Munich, I'll stick to explaining technical differences.
I just happen to know certain advantages of the working regime of a True Ribbon -the way we make it, compared to working regimes of Planars that are clamped over their whole circumference. It's about the necessary acoustical resistance you must use, and that defines dynamic compression in bass.
Another thing is that smooth leather pads are bad for midrange. It's an acoustical fact. There are some workarounds, but it's not enough to remove the problem. the bigger question is if the workaround is good and costs equally to make, why it hasn't been implemented in cheaper products, but just on a flagship?
Definitions are important. Important to consumers and to those who work at the level of specificity that Alex does. Certainly enough to ignite a bit of passion in someone who has spent his professional life mastering ribbon drivers.
Is there a meaningful difference between the terms "Ribbon" and "True-Ribbon"?
What are the similarities? What are the differences? Good subject for debate, especially in a forum such as this.
Perhaps, all cars with batteries, are Electric Vehicles? Does it matter?

Jun 9, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #5,387 of 7,888
CA-1a will be better than LCD5.
Price does not matter. We have the tecnological advantage.
Not the planar-we-renamed-into-a-ribbon like LCD-R, but the real thing.
Testy mother. Nods.

Jun 9, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #5,388 of 7,888

FYI all,

I have also observed what looks like a dusting of "very fine white powder" accumulating on the leather pads of my SR-1a at times, but to be clear this has happened both sitting on a stand and just laying around not touching anything that it could be attributed to, so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with "aluminum powder coming off due to interaction with steel".

It doesn't appear anywhere else, JUST on the soft leather pads which touch my face.

Given the above, I'm much more inclined to think this is something about skin oils and the soft leather pad surface structure attracting microscopic dust from the room. Covering up the pads completely generally prevented this from happening, which lends credence to it.

It wasn't enough of a bother to me (other than "oh no, are my pads degrading?!?" worry) so I never asked online about it. The pads seem quite fine otherwise even though I've had my SR-1a for almost 2 years now.

Jun 9, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #5,389 of 7,888
October marks 3 years for me and I'm still on the original pads. Not sure what the material is that actually contacts my skin/hair.

EDIT: Just checked the RAAL website. The pads are lambskin wrapped memory foam.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #5,390 of 7,888
Testy mother. Nods.
LOL!
Hey, I wouldn't be having any problem with that if it were really a ribbon and if I haven't been friends with their CTO since 1992. That was simply a misleading move from a big company to rub off on a success of a small company, nothing more noble that that.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Jun 9, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #5,391 of 7,888
LOL!
Hey, I wouldn't be having any problem with that if it were really a ribbon and if I haven't been friends with their CTO since 1992. That was simply a misleading move from a big company to rub off on a success of a small company, nothing more noble that that.
Time for RAAL-requisite to get into the planar space (~1k and under segment) to get back at Dr. C. the :wink:

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #5,392 of 7,888
I have questions for Danny, Aleksandar, or anyone else: I listen primarily to classical music, from solo piano to opera. Currently using the SR1a + JotR.

1. Will the SR1 still be superior to the CA for most classical music? (Organ music aside).

2. What would the VM-1a add to the presentation? I have never had a tube amp before. I understand it adds pleasing harmonics. Does it still sound natural? Would the VM-1a be perhaps, preferable for some music (romantic warhorses) but not others (HIP baroque)? I know the only way to know if I like it is to demo it, but demoing is a pricey proposition with shipping, so just trying to figure out if I should even demo it.

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #5,393 of 7,888
Time for RAAL-requisite to get into the planar space (~1k and under segment) to get back at Dr. C. the :wink:
LOL
Dr. C. would most likely crush me in the realm of planars. He is the leading force in that space and knows all the tricks of the trade, so I wouldn't waste time there.
I have my own cake, such as it is, and I'm very glad eating it!

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #5,394 of 7,888
LOL
Dr. C. would most likely crush me in the realm of planars. He is the leading force in that space and knows all the tricks of the trade, so I wouldn't waste time there.
I have my own cake, such as it is, and I'm very glad eating it!
Didn't you study under Dr. C.? So you should know some/most of what he knows... and you know, it usually goes "the student exceeds the master" :):):dt880smile:

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #5,395 of 7,888
Question for Sage or Aleksandar,

For those of us that go for the "Naked" CA-1a for use with VM-1a:
1. Will it come with a cable?
2. Whether it does or doesn't, which of RAAL's specialty cables is recommended for the CA-1a?

If I remember correctly the VM-1a comes with the "Deluxe" cable. That one and Star67 are the options for VM-1a.

Thanks

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #5,396 of 7,888
Didn't you study under Dr. C.? So you should know some/most of what he knows... and you know, it usually goes "the student exceeds the master" :):):dt880smile:
Yes, he was mentoring me when I was young and interested in how speakers work! Good times in the worst of times in former Yugoslavia.
Well, I completely understand all of his tech solutions for certain problems and admire most of them, but I wouldn't exceed him in planars. He got it all done right already, so if one would begin to be capable of exceeding that, he would have to live, breathe and dream planars for a few years, and even then, Dr. C. is ahead...
While he was perfecting planars, I was perfecting ribbons and understanding of their immediate acoustical environment...
There is one area in planars where I would have something new and significant to say, but life is short. I really need to keep evolving headphone true ribbons.
We, RAAL-requisite have taken up a challenge of putting a ribbon driver technology on the market and we need to keep evolving our tech for using less power, maybe matching the planars in that regard, so there's a lot of new solutions to explore and (re)invent for our future products...

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #5,398 of 7,888
Do I smell a twin driver coming? Planar bass driver and ribbon for the rest. Weigh a mere 900g and the size of dinner plates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back