Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jul 14, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #4,276 of 7,898
Do we know anything about the tubeamp?
Which tube types are used?
Is it Raal only like JotR or for all headphones like HSA-1B?
Not sure if I understood your question, but Riviera AIC-10 (or AFC-10) is a normal headphone hybrid tube amplifier, nothing "special" about it in terms of JotR or HSA-1b being created for SR1a. I think @simorag just reacted to my earlier comment, where I was saying that I wish Viva Egoista 845 was a bit more tubey (aka warmer).

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #4,277 of 7,898
Not sure if I understood your question, but Riviera AIC-10 (or AFC-10) is a normal headphone hybrid tube amplifier, nothing "special" about it in terms of JotR or HSA-1b being created for SR1a. I think @simorag just reacted to my earlier comment, where I was saying that I wish Viva Egoista 845 was a bit more tubey (aka warmer).
My questions were about the upcoming tube amp from RAAL.

It was apparently announced two days ago, and I wanted to jnow which details have been revealed so far

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #4,279 of 7,898
Do we know anything about the tubeamp?
Which tube types are used?
Is it Raal only like JotR or for all headphones like HSA-1B?

I'd like to know more about it myself, I am only aware of it being mentioned in the Audiophilestyle.com podcast a couple of days ago....

Jul 14, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #4,280 of 7,898
FWIW, I had a spare Parasound 5250 sitting idle that I hooked up to the interface box and was pleasantly surprised with the sound. It opened up the soundstage and gave the overall sound more weight. Mids were definitely more weighty than with the other amp with less power (105W).

That amp has plenty of power (250w/ch, class AB) and running it over 30% volume levels makes the sound too high for my ears.

Jul 15, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #4,281 of 7,898
I'd like to know more about it myself, I am only aware of it being mentioned in the Audiophilestyle.com podcast a couple of days ago....
Got confirmation from Raal's rep that they will be introducing their Tube Amp at the CanJam Show in Irvine, CA (USA) September 25th and 26th.

Jul 15, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #4,282 of 7,898
I wonder what tube types they will be using? September is not that far off, thankfully.

Jul 15, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #4,283 of 7,898
Got confirmation from Raal's rep that they will be introducing their Tube Amp at the CanJam Show in Irvine, CA (USA) September 25th and 26th.

Irvine is a pretty easy trip for me, too bad we're still having issues and upticks with the pandemic. I'll have to holdout for the next one. :\

Jul 15, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #4,284 of 7,898
Barring something unforeseen, I plan to attend that show. Not sure if my opinion will be of any use to anyone, but I do plan to listen to the Raal again.

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #4,285 of 7,898
The Raal tube amp sounds interesting. I do think tubes help to bring the sr1as a bit more bass and warmth.

I have several questions though (which I guess we’ll learn the answers to in late September)
  1. Will there be the option of using traditional headphones with the new tube amp, like what we see on the hsa-1b?
  2. What tubes will be used?
  3. How powerful will the amp be?
  4. How much will it cost?

Raal/Requsite is batting 1000 so far with the sr1as, Hsa-1b, and the silver cable upgrade. So, if the past is any indication, the tube amp will probably be good too.

Somewhat off topic, I’ve been wondering if it would be possible to drive electrostatic headphones out of a new hsa-1b or the new tube amp.

Admittedly I don’t really understand the specifics of what is needed for electrostatic headphones, but wouldn’t it be amazing if you could use ribbon headphones, traditional headphones, and electrostatic headphones all on the same amp? That would be a dream headphone amp. Whoever builds it first (if it’s possible), will probably have a big hit on their hands. I’m hoping Woo Audio, Raal/Requisite or I guess Schiit produces a headphone amp like that.

Also, I hope Woo Audio (along with other manufacturers) come out with a tube amp that can be used with the SR1as. Looking at Woo Audio, they have traditional headphone amps and electrostatic headphone amps. I can’t think of why they wouldn’t want to make a headphone amp for ribbon ear speakers.

I guess it is true that there is only 1 ribbon earspeaker out in the market, and I’m not sure how many people have purchased the sr1as. So, if those numbers are too small, it might not make business sense to produce a ribbon headphone amp. One can dream though :L3000:

Jul 16, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #4,286 of 7,898
Admittedly I don’t really understand the specifics of what is needed for electrostatic headphones, but wouldn’t it be amazing if you could use ribbon headphones, traditional headphones, and electrostatic headphones all on the same amp? That would be a dream headphone amp.
I stumbled upon audiovalve’s website, and there’s this headphone amp called the Assistent 50-HP, and in the description text it’s said as follows:

“Stereo – integrated tube amplifier for primarily dynamic speakers with 2 x 50 watts and remote control, based on Assistant 50 chassis. Extended by high – quality headphone connectors on the front for all common models, such as STAX, magnetostats and dynamic headphones and also RAAL.”

I had a look at the pictures, but it doesn’t show SR1a‘s XLR male output. Maybe it needs an adapter similar to HSA-1b for non-ribbon headphones plugged into SR1a’s output but it’s the other way around? Perhaps someone can also confirm this. Link is below:

https://www.audiovalve.info/shop/headphone-amplifier/announcement-assistent-50-hp/

If this is true, then you would have your dream amp 😊 (and it has 12 tubes!)

Edit: I think SR1a will need to go through the speaker taps and interface box as with other speaker amps.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #4,287 of 7,898
“Stereo – integrated tube amplifier for primarily dynamic speakers with 2 x 50 watts and remote control, based on Assistant 50 chassis. Extended by high – quality headphone connectors on the front for all common models, such as STAX, magnetostats and dynamic headphones and also RAAL.”
The amplifier was not developed with RAAL in mind, they just edited the description later.

FROM
Screenshot 2021-07-16 at 10.07.13.png
TO
Screenshot 2021-07-16 at 10.07.22.png

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #4,288 of 7,898
The amplifier was not developed with RAAL in mind, they just edited the description later.

FROM
Screenshot 2021-07-16 at 10.07.13.png
TO
Screenshot 2021-07-16 at 10.07.22.png
Yes I think what they meant with Raal is using the speaker taps and interface box

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #4,289 of 7,898
Yes I think what they meant with Raal is using the speaker taps and interface box
Yeap, like any other powerful speaker amp :) A bit misleading if you ask me, as an uneducated customer who just owns SR1a (no interface box) may need to end up ordering one after the fact.

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #4,290 of 7,898
Yeap, like any other powerful speaker amp :) A bit misleading if you ask me, as an uneducated customer who just owns SR1a (no interface box) may need to end up ordering one after the fact.
Except that this one can do speakers, planars, estats, dynamic as well. So it’s really quite interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back