Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jul 4, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #4,186 of 7,865
I've been searching this thread for opinions on the hsa-1b amp but am unclear. Is it worth it? I have the jotunheim R but how much more improved will I get from the Raal amp? Thanks

I could use one amp to rule them all!

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #4,187 of 7,865
I've been searching this thread for opinions on the hsa-1b amp but am unclear. Is it worth it? I have the jotunheim R but how much more improved will I get from the Raal amp? Thanks

From what I read it is very much worth it.
Never heard the amp or the Raal myself though

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #4,188 of 7,865

I had the Jot R and now the HSA-1b. I think the improvement was worth the upgrade. Being able to use normal headphones with the hsa-1b is nice, but it’s just a bonus for me. I got it to use specifically with SR1a, and I’ve been happy with it

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #4,189 of 7,865

Very much worth it, much improved with the sr1a and a solid all around amp for planars

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #4,190 of 7,865

Agree with @jlbrach and @Ciggavelli, the HSA-1b is indeed worth it over the JotR. Much better experience.

You may want to consider a speaker amp as well. Some folks have had a lot of success with them paired with the SR1a.

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #4,191 of 7,865
Just got my SR1a and although I love a lot of things about it, absolute comfort won't be one of them. I feel that I'm always fiddling with the wings. For those of us who have been using these for a while, was there a comfort break-in period?

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #4,192 of 7,865
Agree with @jlbrach and @Ciggavelli, the HSA-1b is indeed worth it over the JotR. Much better experience.

You may want to consider a speaker amp as well. Some folks have had a lot of success with them paired with the SR1a.
Just to be clear, we are comparing a $800 device against a $4000 unit. I would surely hope it was better. Yes, the law of diminishing returns is probably in full force here (and at this price point), but still we are talking 5x the price.

I am using my unit with a speaker amp already at the house. As mentioned, a regular speaker amp with the interface box may be another option to consider.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #4,193 of 7,865
Just got my SR1a and although I love a lot of things about it, absolute comfort won't be one of them. I feel that I'm always fiddling with the wings. For those of us who have been using these for a while, was there a comfort break-in period?
In my case, not so much a comfort break-in as just getting used to a completely different configuration with the flying wings that can make one think the weight seems higher than with conventional phones and I found the clamping force to be very light (in my case). I thought initially I preferred wearing it without the rear strap but over time came to prefer the strap for stability given how lightly the clamping force was on my head from the vertical pads. It also took a while to determine how open or closed I liked the wings but I haven't touched them in year. I carefully tightened the circular hinge the wings rotate in so they would hold that position. I found it much easier to get it set up the way I liked it best compared to my 1266. I remember 1 or 2 purchasers posting they found the clamping force on the temples uncomfortable. The only HP I ever had discomfort with was the HD600, couldn't get the head band to relax enough and was fearful of snapping it in two. Like anything so completely different, getting to know it takes some time and sometimes things just may not workout over time. I think the majority of owners on this thread have the SR1a figured out to their satisfaction as far as fit goes.

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #4,194 of 7,865
To me the sr1a is incredibly comfortable because there is no pressure on my ears and it is completely open…once I got used to it I found it the most comfortable to wear for long listening sessions

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #4,195 of 7,865
I also tried without rear strap.. But put it back again because in addition to stability, I also liked how it determined the positioning of the wings in a fore/aft setting. The up/down placement is really important too.. I am on the tightest headband setting and the top of my ears are around 1cm below the top of the wings; I find I'm getting the fullest sound that way.

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #4,196 of 7,865
To me the sr1a is incredibly comfortable because there is no pressure on my ears and it is completely open…once I got used to it I found it the most comfortable to wear for long listening sessions
Same here, the lack of heat buildup inside a typical ear pad is my favorite physical aspect of this phone. I can listen for hours without having to remove it, can't say that about my other phones I have or have had.

Jul 5, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #4,197 of 7,865
I also tried without rear strap.. But put it back again because in addition to stability, I also liked how it determined the positioning of the wings in a fore/aft setting. The up/down placement is really important too.. I am on the tightest headband setting and the top of my ears are around 1cm below the top of the wings; I find I'm getting the fullest sound that way.
Exactly my findings as well 👍🏼

Jul 7, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #4,198 of 7,865
I understand the wiring on the cables for the SR1a is a bit different from the usual. Anybody ever seen a wiring diagram for the SR1a cable?

Jul 7, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #4,199 of 7,865
I understand the wiring on the cables for the SR1a is a bit different from the usual. Anybody ever seen a wiring diagram for the SR1a cable?

I mapped it out when I made my first custom SR1a cables and my own adapter for running normal headphones off the ribbon output (as part of my modular cable system):

HSA-1b/Jotunheim R amplifier/Ribbon Interface end:

Pin 1 --- R+
Pin 2 --- R-
Pin 3 --- L-
Pin 4 --- L+

On the SR1a TRRS end, Tip and Ring 1 are +, Ring 2 and Sleeve are -.

-----------------\
[S-] [R2-] [R1+] [T+]
-----------------/

RadioAktiv Protium (Proto) - SR1a (1024).jpg

Jul 7, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #4,200 of 7,865
Thank you Torq, I knew you'd have the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back